Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Trek NG Archives and Inscriptions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek NG Archives and Inscriptions.
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted
It's gone bonkers 40 and 50 card chase sets at 1 or 2 per box!! Plus a couple of chase sets from a cartoon. 9 to 18 inscriptions per base card too. I don't think I'll complete the set LOL

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I only pick up bits and pieces these days, and The Best of Both Worlds chase set is the only thing that has really caught my attention in this release.

I find these large RA chases set can usually be had for not too crazy money when big dealers dump everything as fast as possible at release.

Will be interested to see if RA release any more of the 'CLassic TNG' green/white style autos in this set.
Other than that, I'm not overly fussed about the whole inscription autograph concept, most quotes add nothing extra IMO and sometimes the handwriting looks better than the signature. Although I must admit, "The trial never ends!" from John de Lancie would be nice card to have.

I really hate the ugly font used for the quotes on the base cards and don't understand why there is so much, or any, Lower Decks stuff included.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So subsets that are too big to collect, all repeat signers, and looks like all inscription variants with no proper autographs.

This is about as uninteresting as yet another archive set gets.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
So subsets that are too big to collect, all repeat signers, and looks like all inscription variants with no proper autographs.

This is about as uninteresting as yet another archive set gets.

Completely agree. I'm giving this one a miss.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A bit like "water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink". Four autographs per box and not a one I need. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So just noticed that the breakdown of STNG Archives and Inscriptions hits is pretty much a carbon copy of Doctor Who Series 11 & 12. Only difference here is that there are 2 inscription autos out of the 4 autos guaranteed per box, instead of the 1 inscription in Doctor Who, and almost everyone is a repeat signer in STNG.

The 60 card base set with multiple quote cards per character will be impossible to assemble from boxes.

The price looks to be the same, $169.99 SRP, but approximately $129 by the time it hits the street. Doctor Who doesn't seem to have gotten off to a fantastic start, and that's with a brand new set of characters and signers, so repeats would seem to fare worse.

The discussion here is a bit like which came first, the chicken or the egg? If sales are slow, is it because there is little demand for a well mined title, or is it because the price is too high to support the demand that would be there? My own opinion is that boxes at $125 are just too high and are losing the card collector, who would buy if it was affordable. While the flipper/investor types that are being catered to by card makers are not truly interested in the hobby and bail as soon as they don't score easy sales and quick profits, which they don't have since title card collectors are shying away and waiting for bargains only. And that's how you kill the chicken and break the egg. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

The 60 card base set with multiple quote cards per character will be impossible to assemble from boxes.

The ONLY positive is that the 39 "extra base cards" might not be duplicate quotes Smile Smile

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in a free promo card from the set, can check out my free promo card page for details on how to get it.

https://jklm.net/startrekcards/free-promo-cards/

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Lynne

Many thanks and payment sent.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Always my pleasure Smile

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Too repetitive, too redundant and too repetitive.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Too repetitive, too redundant and too repetitive.

Good use of vocabulary. Many people would think those are the same, but they are not. Wink

Hard to fault RA for trying. They have to put out products while they still hold the licenses. For most Star Trek titles, they can't find any new signers of note and more old ones are drying up in inventory and can't be replaced in every series.

Also trying to keep the same rotation of design lines makes the cards always look the same. I know many collectors prefer consistency between products in autograph cards, and even in base cards, but at some point this is going to become boring to look at when there is too much of it. Without any accurate dates or anything to indicate sets, RA autograph cards can't be linked without consulting checklists. Try to mix up random Game of Throne base cards and see if you can put them back in order of appearances. Big Grin

I think RA should do a complete reset of designs in all new releases, if they want to continue titles that have had multiple sets. If you can't find variant photos, change colors of background and borders. Add foil. Make the thing shiny and bright looking. Make it so that we can tell its new.

BTW, the big innovation in the next Original Series seems to be a shot at a shirtless William Shatner autograph/relic card. I'm not sure if that means the relic is from the shirt he's not wearing, or from something else, or he was shirtless, but put one on at the gym. I don't care either way, however some ST collectors do seem eager for it anyway. Too bad they can't do a split combination Enterprise Shatner/Blue Origin Shatner autograph card, with his shirt on of course. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
My feelings are a bit more simplistic. As a collector I like variety. I have no desire to collect 20 or 25 different TOS releases.

Feel the same about Star Wars, been collecting Star Wars cards since 1977 and I only have 12 or 13 sets.

Obviously jumping on the new shows is a good idea but my preference would be to combine seasons at least by two. I don't think I have ever collected every season of a card title.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Anyone interested in a free promo card from the set, can check out my free promo card page for details on how to get it.

https://jklm.net/startrekcards/free-promo-cards/

Lynn

I received my card today.

Many thanks

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I bought a box and when I look at the design of all the cards, I feel pure unimaginativeness and boredom. Nothing innovative. No ideas. No applause for the designer. This issue comes from a wormhole of a time 15 years ago. Sorry!

There were so many beautiful editions.
In 2017, "50 years of Star Trek" came out. Many cards have a really nice design.

Posts: 6 | Location: Germany | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden:
I bought a box and when I look at the design of all the cards, I feel pure unimaginativeness and boredom. Nothing innovative. No ideas. No applause for the designer. This issue comes from a wormhole of a time 15 years ago. Sorry!

There were so many beautiful editions.
In 2017, "50 years of Star Trek" came out. Many cards have a really nice design.

Yup! Gotta agree with you there is definitely a rut going on.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
My local card shop carries everything but passed on these, he said Rittenhouse products just sit on his counter and don’t sell. This is not a good thing.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post