Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Once Upon A Time (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once Upon A Time (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted
I have seen a few P1's for this set now, artwork is looking good, now eagerly awaiting set details Wave

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I don't believe Cryptozoic is going to release these. It's all fairy stories Wink

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Yes, almost like this set is cursed Razz

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
Cursed? There's no magic in this world. I guess Mr. Gold brought a little something with him, maybe.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
Maybe Regina sent them a juicy red apple to eat!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
From my September Newsletter...

quote:
Once Upon A Time
Cryptozoic
Early 2014

Cryptozoic is warning that they had limited resources to work with so there will only be a small base set and one chase set, but they have LOTS of costumes to work with and are working on getting cast autographs. What we know now:

36 Card Base Set
Price of Magic Foil Chase Set (1:12 Packs)
Wardrobe Cards (1:24 Packs)
Autograph Cards (1:24 Packs)

That's all we know right now I believe.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are not going to do releases properly, why do them at all? Far better to wait until the show is a few seasons in and do a full release.

Posts: 26 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
From my September Newsletter...

[QUOTE]Once Upon A Time
Cryptozoic
Early 2014

Cryptozoic is warning that they had limited resources to work with so there will only be a small base set and one chase set, but they have LOTS of costumes to work with and are working on getting cast autographs.

That's all we know right now I believe.

Ed

Why would Crypto indicate that they have limited resources to work with so there will only be a small set? They can't mean they have no photos, they have a license. They say they have costumes, but are working on autographs.

Does limited resources refer to financial condition, as in we don't have enough money to make a proper set? Does limited resources mean we have overextended ourselves and have to push back products again? Are they aiming to put out a preview set and follow it up with the main set later, but don't want to say it yet? Do they have doubts about the title and don't want to commit?

I don't know, but if you are already saying limited resources before anything is made (assuming that is true), you have a problem and why bother?

Posts: 10353 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Why would Crypto indicate that they have limited resources to work with so there will only be a small set? They can't mean they have no photos, they have a license. They say they have costumes, but are working on autographs.
It sounds to me like the TV production company hasn't supplied them with very many photographs to use for the cards. Having a license doesn't automatically mean they have access to a lot of material. Interesting to hear that they have lots of costumes though. Of course, that impacts the number of images they have to use for the base and chase cards if they try to use supplied photos to go with the costume cards. These things are never easy Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
It sounds to me like the TV production company hasn't supplied them with very many photographs to use for the cards. Having a license doesn't automatically mean they have access to a lot of material. Interesting to hear that they have lots of costumes though. Of course, that impacts the number of images they have to use for the base and chase cards if they try to use supplied photos to go with the costume cards. These things are never easy Smile

No they aren't, that's why we are not in the card business. Wink However card manufacturers have to make a profit or else they won't stay in business very long. I have to wonder how much companies are making when they are producing small, limited sets that require licenses plus the purchase of relics and autographs. If you can't get permission for enough pictures to make up a 72 card base set and a couple of 12 card insert sets, why take the risk at all? It just seems like that is the basic thing you want out of license.

Posts: 10353 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just had an e-mail saying this is going to be released as a "master set" rather than the traditional pack format. Hopefully further details will follow.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Just had an e-mail saying this is going to be released as a "master set" rather than the traditional pack format. Hopefully further details will follow.

Interesting news considering Cryptozoic are still showing a box with packs on their website. A "Master set" release will end up excluding (because of cost) a load of fans and collectors. Not the way to attract people to the hobby.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
It will also exclude many of us dealers. I am sure that I will find another product to spend my money on though.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once Upon a Time is not coming out in a "master set". It is coming out in a formula similar to some of Breygent's releases (Dexter Season 4, Vampirella, Red Sonja, etc.). Each box will contain a base set, a few inserts, and a few "hits". Exact numbers and ratios will be released soon.

Posts: 26 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
If that is the case...I am all in!

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nonsports:
Once Upon a Time is not coming out in a "master set". It is coming out in a formula similar to some of Breygent's releases (Dexter Season 4, Vampirella, Red Sonja, etc.). Each box will contain a base set, a few inserts, and a few "hits". Exact numbers and ratios will be released soon.

The accepted term for that format is "premium box" as opposed to "premium pack". I think Breygent started it, but Versicolor did the Bettie Page tins the same way.

I really like premium boxs. They have the same content of a traditional box, minus the wrappers and doubles on base cards. Best of all those earlier releases ran $35 - $40 a box. Try getting a quality box of cards for that now.

If Once Upon A Time comes out at around that price point I'd pick up a few. If they are priced closer to a traditional box, it's a different story.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Configuration has been released.

Each box will contain:

1 base set (45 cards)
2 subset cards
4 hits (either 1 auto and 3 costumes, or 2 autos and 2 costumes)

Sketches are 1 in every 25 boxes.

See Crypto? Lots of hits in a box is a GOOD thing. If they did Hobbit like this, I'd actually buy a box.

If this costs what a traditional box costs, it's a bargain.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Configuration has been released.

Each box will contain:

1 base set (45 cards)
2 subset cards
4 hits (either 1 auto and 3 costumes, or 2 autos and 2 costumes)

Sketches are 1 in every 25 boxes.

See Crypto? Lots of hits in a box is a GOOD thing. If they did Hobbit like this, I'd actually buy a box.

If this costs what a traditional box costs, it's a bargain.

I absolutely agree with everything you say, this will probably be the first Cryptozoic release where I buy when it is released rather than waiting a few months for prices to fall.

The one thing I am a little sad about is that the costume cards are "material used in the production of" rather than actual show worn costumes.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
That sounds great.

I did read they had limited costumes to work with so will be interesting to see what they are able to put out.

I won a box of trading cards in a contest through their facebook page and chose OUAT. I contacted them a little while ago for an updated ETA, still waiting to hear back.

Doubt it will be traditional box prices though.

Excellent info over on their blog:
http://www.cryptozoic.com/blog...-1-new-configuration

And announcement page:
http://www.cryptozoic.com/trad...ason-1-trading-cards

I like the format they're doing, loved Tudors 1,2,3 which had a similar release, complete base set along with hits rather than packs of cards.

Looks like the are also planning a Season 2 release.

Do note though that the fairy tale costume cards (which I think are all of them) are "fabric used in the making" and not taken from actual set wardrobe.

I love the binder, going to have to try and track down one in the UK after release, Cryptozoic will only ship to the US & Canada from their online store.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WarriorBabe,

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:
That sounds great.

I did read they had limited costumes to work with so will be interesting to see what they are able to put out.

Actually their original statement was that they had limited photography to work with so the base set would be rather small but that they received alot of costumes and wardrobe material.
So unless they plan on actually doing a full complete set in the future for Season 2 or Season 3, they kinda shafted us all for their first set. the whole "used in making" and not actual worn costumes just adds to the poor management of this set. I mean it was announced in October 2012............we'll be lucky if it comes out by October 2014.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MileHigh AI3,

NON-SPORTS COLLECTION

Castle Complete Set (55/55=100%!)

Posts: 9 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: June 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post