Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2018 Leaf Pop Century
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Leaf Pop Century
 Login/Join

posted
Read recently that this Summer, Leaf is coming out with another Pop Century autograph set.

Ben Affleck and Adam Driver will be signing cards.

Has anyone heard of any other signers?

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
We all know their history of somehow using licensed photos. If they make a Batfleck autograph card it will be mine... oh yes... it will be mine.

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers my friend. I definitely want one as well. Even if he's just pictured as Bruce Wayne, that would be ok for me.

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but neither Pop Century or Americana use photos that have to be licensed from a studio. That's why they can get so many varied celebrities. It's also why even the better stars on their autograph cards carry cheaper prices than those same people do in sets where they are in character and are licensed to a particular TV show or movie.

So you can get Affleck, but just a sticker on a regular photo, not as Batman or Bruce Wayne. That's still a good deal, as Affleck has signed for Daredevil only as far as I know.

In fact many of the better signers in Pop Century and Americana are hard to find and almost always more expensive in other sets. The down side is that the demand is less just because more collectors want them pictured in their primary roles. And of course you have to slog through a ton of common signers that nobody wants, like the guy with a paper bag on his head. Big Grin

Still I enjoy these Pop Century hodge-podge autograph cards and will look forward to seeing the 2018 autograph checklist.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wonder if there is a Batman or Kylo Ren figure in Madame Tussauds Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to the Daisy Ridley card from 2017? I knew there was something off with that photo. It just looked creepy to me.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bone:
Are you referring to the Daisy Ridley card from 2017? I knew there was something off with that photo. It just looked creepy to me.

I believe he was. Thumb Up

I really don't know if that was ever officially confirmed, but everyone said early on that it was the waxed Rey in the picture and not Daisy, which makes sense. They wouldn't be allowed to use a real Star Wars photo.

There are some autograph cards from Pop Century and Americana that come close to having photos in character and maybe its because the source didn't need a license. For example I have seen Henry Winkler looking like the Fonz. I have seen Roger Moore looking like Bond. Those that come close are exceptions and maybe its just in the eye of the beholder in some cases.

Mostly what you get is a Jeri Ryan autograph that's using a regular photo and not a Jeri Ryan looking like Seven of Nine. So while her Star Trek signatures will run you $80 and up, her no brand card will be $50 and under. Right there is why I like Pop Century as an autograph card collector. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Sorry, but neither Pop Century or Americana use photos that have to be licensed from a studio. That's why they can get so many varied celebrities. It's also why even the better stars on their autograph cards carry cheaper prices than those same people do in sets where they are in character and are licensed to a particular TV show or movie.

So you can get Affleck, but just a sticker on a regular photo, not as Batman or Bruce Wayne. That's still a good deal, as Affleck has signed for Daredevil only as far as I know.

In fact many of the better signers in Pop Century and Americana are hard to find and almost always more expensive in other sets. The down side is that the demand is less just because more collectors want them pictured in their primary roles. And of course you have to slog through a ton of common signers that nobody wants, like the guy with a paper bag on his head. Big Grin

Still I enjoy these Pop Century hodge-podge autograph cards and will look forward to seeing the 2018 autograph checklist.

I don't know how they get around it, but they've had plenty of actors dressed as their film/TV characters - most notably I'm thinking of Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia. I think the photo they used was a behind-the-scenes shot, but she's clearly in her Leia garb.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by space phantom:
Read recently that this Summer, Leaf is coming out with another Pop Century autograph set.

Ben Affleck and Adam Driver will be signing cards.

Has anyone heard of any other signers?

Awesome -- I love the Pop Century sets. This is the first I'm hearing about this year's release.

I hope they have fewer repeat signers this year. There are a TON of autos I'd love to see in the sets -- I feel like the 80s are under represented in these releases.

Here are a few autos I'd like to see off the top of my head:

Cindy Crawford
Lynda Carter
Mr. T
The miners from the show Gold Rush
Maya Rudolph
Jewel Kilcher
Geena Davis
Danielle Fishel
Trent Reznor
Janeane Garofalo
Justine Bateman
Chuck Norris
Jean-Claude Van Damme

I could go on. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I don't know how they get around it, but they've had plenty of actors dressed as their film/TV characters - most notably I'm thinking of Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia. I think the photo they used was a behind-the-scenes shot, but she's clearly in her Leia garb.

Yeah, you're right, you can pick out at least some actors that do look like they are in character on these cards. Maybe some photos just don't have copyrights anymore, like when a movie goes into public domain, or maybe the photo never did. They do manage it somehow for a few, but most are just off camera personal pictures.

Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
Just snapped a quick cell phone photo from my PC. They also use hand drawn and printed sketches of licensed characters. Kevin Sorbo as Hercules and Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. Last year we even saw on card sketches of Daisy Ridley clearly as Rey. Also, one of my favorite cards I own is this Tim Curry from Clue. Clearly a photo directly from the film! I ain't complaining I hope they keep doing it haha. I want me a Batfleck auto! But yeah I'd also settle for a Bruce Wayne.

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, well not trying to defend Pop Century over anybody's copyrights, but we just don't know. The Hercules card license belonged to Inkworks I think and they are long gone. What you call Jack Bauer could be Kiefer Sutherland from anything and Clue is such an old movie, the studio probably wouldn't care to fight about it. Plus three of the examples are sketch art, which in and of itself, presents a whole other set of rules about what you can or can't draw.

So I guess its up to Pop Century to know what images they can use and what they can't use without infringing. But just guessing, I don't think that DC and Warner Brothers would be giving away rights on their Batman character if they knew about it.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
By the way, just take another look at those two side by side Kevin Sorbo autographs above. Can anyone here say that they look the same? I sure can't.

I have two different ones from Andromeda and they compare reasonably OK to the 2nd one, the Chris Henderson sketch. The 8/10 is either a variation (maybe someone has it), Andromeda is early 2000's, or its maybe a money signature (unrushed perfect autograph) or its maybe someone else. Take your pick. Big Grin

Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, just take another look at those two side by side Kevin Sorbo autographs above. Can anyone here say that they look the same? I sure can't.

I have two different ones from Andromeda and they compare reasonably OK to the 2nd one, the Chris Henderson sketch. The 8/10 is either a variation (maybe someone has it), Andromeda is early 2000's, or its maybe a money signature (unrushed perfect autograph) or its maybe someone else. Take your pick. Big Grin

Both autographs are for sure authentic. I've met him in person a couple of times and when it's a one on one situation where he takes his time I've gotten the signature on the left. He spells the name out. The one on the sketch is his more rushed auto if you're getting something signed in passing. On trading cards the vast majority of the time it's the rushed version. For some reason that year of Pop Century he decided to take his time.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robomole:
quote:

Both autographs are for sure authentic. I've met him in person a couple of times and when it's a one on one situation where he takes his time I've gotten the signature on the left. He spells the name out. The one on the sketch is his more rushed auto if you're getting something signed in passing. On trading cards the vast majority of the time it's the rushed version. For some reason that year of Pop Century he decided to take his time.

So its his money signature then. Good to know, thanks.

But just look how different they are in letter formation and even the separations. I would not take it to be from the same hand. The two I have are also very slanted, which neither one is here. Mine are on card and these are stickers, which also makes a big difference in how someone signs.

Just goes to show how you can never make a 100% authentication short of seeing something signed. I can recognize a lot of autographs and I know what I'll buy and what I'd stay away from, but I won't call anything a fake. I can call it an autopen, if its an exact replica, that's easy. But fakes are not, even when they should be. You just don't know what sort of scribble someone will hand out at any given time, which is why people keep believing all those bad $7.00 signatures on 8x10 photos might really be good. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

posted Hide Post
I think the odds are pretty good in seeing an Affleck auto card in character.

I did a little search and here are some more examples of Pop Century autos that used character pics from films or tv series:

Barbara Eden - Jeannie
Martin Landau - Commander Koenig Space 1999
Adrian Paul - Higlander
Adam West - Bruce Wayne
Burt Ward - Dick Grayson
Tippi Hedren - The Birds
Kelly LeBrock - Weird Science
Al Pacino - Godfather and Scarface

and there are others I'm sure.

posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the article regarding Affleck and Driver signing for 2018 Leaf Pop Century.

If you scroll down the article, there is a video of Steve Grad from Beckett explainin why there are so many variances in Affleck's signature. He's holding up signed pic of Affleck as Bats from BvS, so maybe Leaf is also doing a photo Pop Century release?

Check it out!!

https://www.beckett.com/news/b...18-leaf-pop-century/

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, very interesting about the variation in Affleck's autographs. I noticed his Daredevil autographs vary significantly too, guess that is why.

Either way he has a big signature. . . hope he could fit it on the sticker. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by space phantom:
Here is the link to the article regarding Affleck and Driver signing for 2018 Leaf Pop Century.

If you scroll down the article, there is a video of Steve Grad from Beckett explainin why there are so many variances in Affleck's signature. He's holding up signed pic of Affleck as Bats from BvS, so maybe Leaf is also doing a photo Pop Century release?

Check it out!!

https://www.beckett.com/news/b...18-leaf-pop-century/

Thanks! Thumb Up Article also mentions metal card stock. Sounds like a pretty cool set! Jason Momoa has signed for both them and Rittenhouse previously. Batman/Aquaman dual auto anyone? Now I'm just getting greedy haha.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
See as an autograph collector, I get a totally different take from that video and it just confirms exactly what I said in my prior post.

It is not cool that Ben Affleck has upwards of 15 variations on his autograph. It is not right that a representative of an authentication service has to explain why all these signatures are genuine, even though they don't look alike.

Ben Affleck is a smart-aleck. He is being paid to give an autograph and won't sign the same way twice. As a result anything "could" be his autograph and how do you tell a fake?

This is not just him. I have heard of other celebrities who want to protect their money signature, sometimes for when they get paid, but also sometimes for when they just feel someone is profiting from their autograph. If they think they have an autograph hunter, they will scribble anything, anyway. Trouble is, sometimes they are really just fans, and in the end all autographs usually wind up with fans.

If a celebrity hates giving out autographs, they should refuse. I would rather have someone who says NO, then someone who feeds into people who fake autographs by not having a consistent signature. I applaud all those good signers that don't play these games. There is no such thing as 15 and up variations and I feel sorry for any third party trying to authenticate if they have not seen the items signed. Fortunately here, the signings were witnessed, but yet they still felt the need to explain. So that just shows how different his autographs must be.