Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Harry Potter Chocolate Frogs New Series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry Potter Chocolate Frogs New Series
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Recently, Card Talker aeolus14umbra told me he had found a new series of these at a Walgreens in Texas. A quick look at my local Walgreens showed no Chocolate Frogs, even though there was a section devoted to Harry Potter merchandise.
Today my daughter, who works at Barnes and Noble, called to let me know they had a large shipment of these just in. She bought me 4 packs.
The packs are white with a blue strip on top and bottom. Cards have a white border with white backs. On the front is a logo that says "Wizarding World" and name of person. I got
Godric Gryffindor
Salazar Slytherin
Jocunda Sykes
and Hengist of Woodcroft

Godric and Salazar are the same as in the Blue Bordered series that was at 5 Below.
Aeolus14umbra had said that the borders on his were purple, and that the wrappers also were purple, so there seem to be different editions of these. No idea yet as to how many in the set.
Cost is $4 each, expensive, but when you factor in a chocolate frog- a bit of chocolate is good for you - and the hours of fun you'll have watching the lenticular images move, $4 is a bargain.
So, check your Walgreens and Barnes and Nobles, the chase is on, again.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My son loved these. I will let him know.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Somewhat of an underwhelming response here. Thought these would be sought out by more Harry Potter fans.

We have found these in Walgreens with purple borders, Barnes and Noble with white borders, and John Levitt found some at Sainsbury's in the UK with a red border. I also saw something that starting in November Hallmark stores will carry these as well.

I am calling this the Gilderoy Lockhart set, because I keep pulling his damn card!

The set has these cards in it:
Salazar Slytherin
Godric Gryffindor
Rowena Ravenclaw
Hengist of Woodcroft
Jocunda Sykes
Gilderoy Lockhart

We can also presume that Helga Hufflepuff is in the set, she, Salazar, Godric and Rowena are all founders of Hogwarts and found in the blue bordered sets from last Spring. No idea if Dumbledore is also included.
The backs on the blue and white bordered cards are the same text. The white bordered cards have a white circle over the name with the Wizarding World logo, absent on the Sainsbury card.

So - how many cards make up the set? Anyone gets any duplicates and needs a Gilderoy - let me know.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The price point is killing this. A piece of chocolate and a card should have been a really good seller for all the kids but not at this price. I took one look at the price of these and just threw my hands up in despair. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked some of these up recently, but I haven't taken the time to figure out which set is which.

I have 3 blue borders with (s17) in the copyright (I'm guessing the s17 indicates the series -- I don't see a year).

Rowena Ravenclaw
Salazar Slytherin
Helga Hufflepuff

Then I have 2 purple borders with s18 in the copyright:

Gilderoy Lockhart
Godric Gryffindor

Some of these came from Boxlunch, I'm not sure where the others were from.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree. I'm into lenticular cards, but at $4 each and not being a huge Harry Potter fan, there are other cards I'd rather have. In another thread I found a pack for under $3 at a Books-A-Million in Gainesville, Florida last spring so I would suggest shopping around to see if another chain is carrying them for less. If you're in the US and a Barnes and Noble member, you should get 10% off which helps a little. I'll pick them up for my nieces if they want them but won't be working on sets for myself.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The price point is killing this. A piece of chocolate and a card should have been a really good seller for all the kids but not at this price. I took one look at the price of these and just threw my hands up in despair. Shake Head

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Yes, price is a real drawback with these. We pay $3-$5 routinely for chase cards and it's no big deal, but the duplicates will kill you on these.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Picked up a couple of these at Walgreens yesterday. They have a dark purple border and back, and no Wizarding World logo on front. Got Godric and Rowena.

In a related theme, my daughter found a Chocolate Frog Prop Replica at Barnes and Noble. Made by the Noble Collection, it includes a pentagon shaped plastic box, a toy chocolate frog (don't eat it), and a pentagon shaped lenticular card of Dumbledore, (Richard Harris). This is very much like the Chocolate Frog prop in the first Harry Potter film. A nice collectible.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I PICKED THESE UP TODAY AT IT'S SUGAR-$5 a PACK I COULD NOT FIND THEM ANYWHERE ELSE IN MY AREA I WISH THESE WERE NUMBERED. WHITE BORDER WIZARDING WORLD-I GOT THE FOLLOWING -NO DUPES
Salazar Slytherin-BERTIE BOTT-Hengist of Woodcroft-HELGA HUFFLEPUFF

I CAN USE-

DEVLIN WHITEHORN
MERLIN
GARRICK OLLIVANDER
Godric Gryffindor
Rowena Ravenclaw
Jocunda Sykes
Gilderoy Lockhart

I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH OTHER ONES ARE OUT THERE BUT I HAVE LOTS OF ODD STUFF WRITE ME.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The price point is killing this. .....

At £5, you could say it is as mad as a box of frogs. Big Grin

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Chocolate Frogs Return! I found a hidden box in Walgreens with 2 packs left, $4.49 each, but I got a discount using points. Cards have s22 on back. I got Herpo the Foul - in both packs. A new character.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw these at local CVS

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen those. I bought an s20 last month at a Party City store and it was one I didn't have (Albus Dumbledore).

quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Chocolate Frogs Return! I found a hidden box in Walgreens with 2 packs left, $4.49 each, but I got a discount using points. Cards have s22 on back. I got Herpo the Foul - in both packs. A new character.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was finally able to get some of the newer packs and did pull the "Herpo the Foul" card that Don mentioned as well as a "Paracelsus", which is another new character.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Picked up a few more today and found there are more new characters.
I got a "Bridget Wenlock" and have found mention of 2 more, Ignatia Wildsmith
and Beaumont Marjoribanks. Todays were the newer packs with Herpo the Foul
pictured on the back and with a best before date of May 29, 2025.

Also, the cards are numbered s23 on the back and they also have rounded
corners now. The hunt continues!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greg Geerts,

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sigh...OK...last post about these for a while (maybe Smile ) Got a few more of the newest packs today, I did get the Wildsmith and Marjoribanks that I mentioned before and also got another new character that I hadn't heard about, Bowman Wright. These again are the s23 series, there are previous characters also in this style/date.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's an s22 and s23 series out now? Do the packs have a different look? I still haven't seen either of them. I still see s20 packs but with 2024 "Best Before..." dates.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The ones I've picked up recently were marked like this:

s22 -- best before May 22, 2025 Hengist of Woodcroft pictured on back
s23 -- best before May 29, 2025 Herpo the Foul pictured on back

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There's an s22 and s23 series out now? Do the packs have a different look? I still haven't seen either of them. I still see s20 packs but with 2024 "Best Before..." dates.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
are they making these names up or were they in the books but not in the films.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I can't find these cards either. Looked at 5 Below, Hallmark, and Walgreen's without any luck.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post