Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Bates Motel on the BBC.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bates Motel on the BBC.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
Bates Motel has just been purchased by the BBC for showing in the UK so if you have cards from this set they may be getting more intrest soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfie,

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
As a series Bates Motel followed the same pattern as Dexter and Hannibal and a couple of the other shows where the main character is reprehensible, but we as viewers are supposed to find sympathy or get vicarious pleasure watching the anti-hero. The series starts off good because it is new and odd. As the storyline and seasons continue however, they go deeper into the weeds until you wonder why the heck you are looking at such miserable, nutty people. Then you are sorry you began.

I will never forgive what they did to Dexter. Mad

So the Breygent Bates cards are very well made and last I saw were pretty cheap, even on the star autographs and other big hits. Breygent had a real problem getting the cards released on schedule and most came out well behind the early success of the show. At that point demand was already declining and I'm sure it's bottomed out by now. It should be fairly easy to get most of the cards, if the shipping is worth it.

But getting hooked on Season One of Bates Motel might be something you'll regret later on. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Bates Motel has just been purchased by the BBC for showing in the UK so if you have cards from this set they may be getting more intrest soon.

I have watched Bates Motel, really enjoyed it. I've been trying to get the chase cards from season 1 for some time. UK sellers don't appear to have many

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I have watched Bates Motel, really enjoyed it. I've been trying to get the chase cards from season 1 for some time. UK sellers don't appear to have many

I've been thinking about checking it out, maybe I will. Breygent seemed to always pick really solid properties for releases.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My son and wife loved Bates Motel. They got a box of season 1 and season 2. They did the mail away cards. I know they have the main cast autos and a lot of the costume prop cards. It was a well made set like all of Breygent sets were.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Another one of those great (and underrated) sets that managed to get most of the cast on autograph cards.

I really like the limited SDCC issued cards.

Many of the cards still going for under $20 on ebay, not entirely sure how that rolls out in total cost for the UK customers.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I doubt it'll have much effect. They're not airing it at prime time (it's airing around 11pm, I believe), it was broadcast when it was current on Sky somewhere, it's been on Amazon Prime Video for ages, it's been absurdly cheap on DVD for years (sometimes as cheap as £3 per season), I'd say the vast majority of people who are ever likely to care about the show to the level of wanting to collect cards for it, have seen it.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Having reflected a bit on it, I think Breygent made the best card sets on any title and all titles, above any other card manufacturer. I'm talking about content and quality now. Content because they were able to get the basic cards and the premium hits. All major actors and guest stars signed. The prop cards were terrific looking. Only inserts sets were on the light side, but Breygent cards never disappointed once they got out.

It really doesn't matter if you never saw, or even disliked shows like Dexter, Bates Motel, Grimm and The Tudors. The cards stand by themselves. There should be card collectors out there who say "I collect only Breygent cards", instead of people turning Marvel base cards worth a quarter into $20 slabs. If things were as they really should be, there is no question that Breygent cards, especially the premium hits, are undervalued and are overdue for a price increase.

The flipside of what Breygent also proved unfortunately is that you can't make cards like these and prosper. You can't get this much content and quality in your product and still get them out on time and in enough quantity to make it profitable. You can't mass produce specialty cards. I'm sure there were other internal problems going on too, but the makers of lesser cards survived and Breygent got out of the card business. Whatever mistakes they made with picking licenses or production, their cards should be collected just on their own merits.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post