Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New Star Trek Movie Set
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Star Trek Movie Set
 Login/Join

posted
I just heard about this set from Rittenhouse.

NEW STAR TREK Movie
Trading Card Collectors Set

* Limited Edition of 250 Sets *

Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock)
Autograph/Relic Cards in Every Set!

Plus 9 Star Trek Into Darkness Movie Preview Cards

The set is due out in June and the SUGGESTED RETAIL price is $ 750.

Posts: 26 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nonsports:
I just heard about this set from Rittenhouse.

NEW STAR TREK Movie
Trading Card Collectors Set

* Limited Edition of 250 Sets *

Autograph/Relic Cards in Every Set!

Plus 9 Star Trek Into Darkness Movie Preview Cards

That price surely can't be correct. Eek

Charging that kind of price really is cashing in on Trek collectors. I'm a big Trek collector but there is no way I would pay that much for this release.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I hope that this is not true. It would be sad from Rittenhouse if it is. While I hate the new Trek movies I would have still bought a couple boxes just because it is Trek. No one connected with this new movie is worth that price.

Hope updates will change this...

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So this is an expansion-type set, similar to the Amazing Spider-Man or Stargate sets? Will this take the place of a full trek movie release?

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nonsports:

is that all?

I'll take 10. Thumb Up

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I love RA 99.99% of the time but I really hate when they artificially create a price for specific cards instead of letting the market dictate that. That's not what they're supposed to be in the business of. That SRP is absurd and these will probably be selling for half that a few months after release.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Pretty wild news, I didn't check RA to see if its right, but if it is I don't know who goes in for $750.

Even if you figure that Pine's first autograph is in the $400 range, none of the other actors add up to anything close. How much is a relic worth? If this came out on a scale with the Hulk, Green Hornet or Spiderman short sets it would have a lot of interest because of the fan base. It would probably sell out.

But at $750, that's a case price. How can anyone think the set has anywhere to move from therexexcept down? Shake Head

Posts: 10355 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is true. I don't see any of my customers buying it but will still offer it for pre-orders. More info is supposed to be forthcoming. There will be a regular movie product out in December.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I would actually like the preview set, and I would pay maybe $250 for this set (and probably would not be able to bring myself to do it -- I remember looking at that Ed Norton Hulk set every day for a month before deciding against it) but $750 is insane. It's the type of 'rich collectors only' price point that made me stop buying sports cards, and Rittenhouse really should rethink doing this kind of thing.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Pretty wild news, I didn't check RA to see if its right, but if it is I don't know who goes in for $750.

Even if you figure that Pine's first autograph is in the $400 range, none of the other actors add up to anything close. How much is a relic worth?

Just to clarify:

There are only 2 Autographed Relic cards:
Then a 9 card movie preview set

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Even if you figure that Pine's first autograph is in the $400 range, none of the other actors add up to anything close. How much is a relic worth?

Just to clarify:

There are only 2 Autographed Relic cards:
Then a 9 card movie preview set

Yeah, I get that as I re-read the initial post, but it still doesn't work at $750 to me. This idea of making auto/relic cards is the new thing. Both recent BBT and VD releases came out with no regular autos of the big stars, just the secondary cast. The lead stars signed only auto/relics at 1 or 2 per case. They are asking big bucks on eBay for these, but I honestly don't know how short printed they are since I heard no numbers. The impression I get is that at least the BBT stars are fairly low.

Now here we know that there has to be at least 250 copies of these Pine and Quinto auto/relics because that's the number of sets offered. Now the 9 card preview is the throw-in just so you can call it an expension set. Essentially your money is wrapped up at an average of $375 per card for the auto/relic combo. But they are 1 out of 250, which is not terribly short to me, and how much room can these cards have to move up when they come out this high?

And by the way, the relic part is generally a costume/material swatch. I would prefer a true prop if I had a choice.

Like I said, if the SRP were in line with the Hulk or Spiderman expansions at around $300 - $350 you could make a decent case for buying. I want to see if RA gets enough pre-orders at $750 or if they wind up dropping the price or sweetening the deal before release.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10355 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I love RA 99.99% of the time but I really hate when they artificially create a price for specific cards instead of letting the market dictate that. That's not what they're supposed to be in the business of. That SRP is absurd and these will probably be selling for half that a few months after release.

They are in it make a profit and I suppose they look at what the autographs of main cast members can fetch and think "I want some of that". Just my thoughts but who knows?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

They are in it make a profit and I suppose they look at what the autographs of main cast members can fetch and think "I want some of that". Just my thoughts but who knows?
It is also possible that Pine and Quinto, or at least their agents, also saw the price their autographs are fetching on eBay from that first release and thought 'We should have some of that' and upped their signing fees too. RA would have to pass that on and bump up their own prices so they get their big bonus too. I doubt the high price was/is just down to RA being a bit greedy.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Direct cost is much lower, but still not low enough to justify a purchase. Also I was told no incentives for multiple set orders like with Hulk/Spiderman

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
So the info is up at Rittenhouse. Two auto cards and 9 Pre View cards for $750.

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...todarkness/index.cfm

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Don't buy retail Smile I mean I'm sure RA wouldn't mind if you bought retail, but find a nice dealer somewhere to network with.
Yu may feel the price even from a dealer is too high and I appreciate that, but at least if you are going to get it, do it through a dealer!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Anyone offering it yet?

I'm curious to see how much there selling it for

Posts: 22 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw two with asking prices of $675 and $550.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch 550 the lowest. I think 400 was my limit haha. As much as I want it, its too much $

Posts: 22 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Supply and demand will bring the price down in time.Dealers count on collectors wanting the cards as soon as they come out.I'd give it a couple of months and they will be selling at around the $350-$400 mark.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post