Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New Star Trek Movie Set
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Star Trek Movie Set
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sounds like its two releases in one. That first movie set had poor base cards because it cut off so early, so it can be improved upon. I'm wondering if they intend to reprint the original set and just add new cards to the back end or if its a whole new set?

Silver and gold parallel sets don't generate that much interest anymore. The badge and costume hits might look nice.

As always, Star Trek fans will probably welcome any new cards, however this is a lot of cards at once. Short of buying multiple cases I don't see how you get anywhere near completing.

I'll be looking for selective autographs. I might try a box, that's about it for me.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Sounds like its two releases in one. That first movie set had poor base cards because it cut off so early, so it can be improved upon. I'm wondering if they intend to reprint the original set and just add new cards to the back end or if its a whole new set?

Silver and gold parallel sets don't generate that much interest anymore. The badge and costume hits might look nice.

As always, Star Trek fans will probably welcome any new cards, however this is a lot of cards at once. Short of buying multiple cases I don't see how you get anywhere near completing.

I'll be looking for selective autographs. I might try a box, that's about it for me.

Yeah, me too -- I love Trek and love Trek cards, but other than one box for a chance to get a big auto hit, I will be happy with a base set and trying to pick up Karl Urban, Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve autographs (she's not listed, but they announced on twitter that she did sign).

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Product page is up on RA's site:

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...2014movies/index.cfm

Benedict Cumberbatch is not on the signers list now. I sure hope he's an incentive then. I'd rather have his auto be an incentive than not have one at all. Being a big fan of Sherlock his auto was the one I was looking forward to the most.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
If there is no pack inserted Cumberbatch, I think I will get one box and just try and pick up a few autograph cards here and there, since I wasn't a fan of Into Darkness at all. I really wanted to get the Star Trek 09 set since the base set for the first release was not particularly interesting. I don't like parallel sets and wouldn't bother with those even if they weren't insanely difficult to complete, and the 110 cards for ST09 are too daunting for me to even start. (I was thinking of getting three boxes, which would be 24 cards. Assuming no duplicates, I would only have 22% of the set.)

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Product page is up on RA's site:

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod...2014movies/index.cfm

Benedict Cumberbatch is not on the signers list now. I sure hope he's an incentive then. I'd rather have his auto be an incentive than not have one at all. Being a big fan of Sherlock his auto was the one I was looking forward to the most.

To be fair, it does say 'and many more' autographs to be announced.

I think they have lost the plot with the 'gold' parallel cards. You would need to open a minimum of 660 boxes to complete a set.

Update: The Benedict Cumberbatch autograph card is planned as a 9-case incentive card. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WOMBLE,

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
Update: The Benedict Cumberbatch autograph card is planned as a 9-case incentive card. Roll Eyes

OK, I like RA, they put out some of my favorite products, but I hate it when they do this stuff.

A 9-case incentive is a joke. There is no collector that is going to purchase 9 cases to get this card, not even the ones that sell doubles. Why not just say we are giving our distributors and big dealers a bonus by handing them a free autograph that they can put on freebay for mega bucks?

A lot of people are very excited about the SMG autograph that RA is supposed to be getting for their new Buffy set. I hope the Cumberbatch card is not a sign of things to come.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

OK, I like RA, they put out some of my favorite products, but I hate it when they do this stuff.

A 9-case incentive is a joke. There is no collector that is going to purchase 9 cases to get this card, not even the ones that sell doubles. Why not just say we are giving our distributors and big dealers a bonus by handing them a free autograph that they can put on freebay for mega bucks?

A lot of people are very excited about the SMG autograph that RA is supposed to be getting for their new Buffy set. I hope the Cumberbatch card is not a sign of things to come.

I agree with you Raven. I'm not a big fan of incentives anyway but at 9 cases it's even more frustrating. I'm happy that Cumberbatch has signed and is still part of this set, but I must say I'm not looking forward to paying $500+ to get one this way. I've said this about a dozen times in the past and I'll say it here again.... Put the card in the packs and give us all a chance.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Sad to say this will be the first Star Trek set that I will buy no boxes of. I HATE parallel cards, let alone 4 sets. Most of us know that these will just be the same cards with the logo printed in sliver or gold. I didn't really like the movie and hated that we are waiting almost a year for the set to come out. I will go on the bay and find on of the suckers trying to complete the set and buy a base set from them.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Am I understanding correctly - they are reprinting the first ST movie set as inserts?

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Am I understanding correctly - they are reprinting the first ST movie set as inserts?

The original movie (2009) set was only 81 cards. This one is 110 cards. So its possible they are reprinting the original 81 and adding 29 more, or maybe they are going to expand on it more than just 29 cards. If I remember right the original set came out right around the release of the film, so they were prob very limited in what they could use for photos/descriptions on the back, so they prob want to give it a good release that covers the entire film, not just parts of it.

Posts: 109 | Location: Ormond Beach, FL | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
RA revised they odds on the parallel cards:

• 110-Card SILVER Parallel Base Set
    (1:12 Packs) (numbered to 200 each)
  • 110-Card GOLD Parallel Base Set
    (1:24 Packs) (numbered to 100 each)
  •  
    Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
    Picture of willgull
    posted Hide Post
    Well, I must say that I am certainly disappointed that the autos I would want are the case incentives again. I am the small time collector and cannot afford a single case, never the less 6 or more. Yes, I know it is all about $, but shouldn't all the cards be made available to everyone with whatever budget they maintain? Here is a little advice from the small time collector....make us feel appreciated as well as the dealer. Pack insert some of those incentive cards so we at least have a small, small chance of getting one. No chance just irritates me and I will rethink what I will purchase.

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bronze Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by willgull:
    Well, I must say that I am certainly disappointed that the autos I would want are the case incentives again. I am the small time collector and cannot afford a single case, never the less 6 or more. Yes, I know it is all about $, but shouldn't all the cards be made available to everyone with whatever budget they maintain? Here is a little advice from the small time collector....make us feel appreciated as well as the dealer. Pack insert some of those incentive cards so we at least have a small, small chance of getting one. No chance just irritates me and I will rethink what I will purchase.

Just so you know Rittenhouse often randomly inserts case incentive cards in boxes...generally it will be in the case incentive top loader at the bottom of the box.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    I love the design of the Cumberbatch card but it isn't the one showed at the Philly show. No doubt the other one will be released in a future set. Knowing that I'm not sure how much I'm willing to pay for this one but I definitely want it!

Bronze Card Talk Member
    Picture of Lovemesomecards
    posted Hide Post
    Nice clear signature. Really his signature is the only thing I would be interested in but it is out of my price range.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Titanium Card Talk Member
    Picture of wolfie
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kennywood:
    I'm still trying to get an autograph card signed by his mom for my "UFO" set.

Good luck with that, very rare and very expensive.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of wgf351
    posted Hide Post
    Hopefully we get a full list of signers soon.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of hammer
    posted Hide Post
    There won't be a full set of the 2009 cards in a case - at 8 per box x 12 boxes there will only be 96 in a case.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of WOMBLE
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by hammer:
    There won't be a full set of the 2009 cards in a case - at 8 per box x 12 boxes there will only be 96 in a case.

I asked my local card dealer if he had been banging on Rittenhouse's door, demanding that they make the inserts rarer. He, like me, is not to blame. Mad

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post