Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2019 X-Files Set by Upper Deck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 X-Files Set by Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
I was solicited this set today:

quote:
2019 Upper Deck The X-Files UFOS and Aliens Trading Cards

delivers (2) Single or Dual Autographed Cards, Printing Plates or Original Sketch Cards in Every Box!

Celebrate the entire history of the ground-breaking TV show with this comprehensive trading card set from Upper Deck!

Configuration: 12 boxes/20 packs/6 cards

I'm really interested to see if this is a case of 2 manufacturers having the same license at the same time or if Rittenhouse's upcoming set will be their one and only?

On card autographs still gives Rittenhouse the advantage. But I had hoped for a "Complete" set from them, not necessarily Upper Deck.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
This is certainly interesting news. Back in the 90's I was X-files crazy. Did all the topps sets then Inkworks sets. By the time the second movie set came along from Inkworks, I was loosing interest in the franchise. I just finished season 11 a few days ago and am kinda glad they are shelving it. I am a believer that you cannot catch lightning in a bottle twice.
Back to cards, it was an interesting note to see the Rittenhouse set pop up but to have an Upper deck set as well is unusual to say the least.
If this set is released then the X-files will have been released by Topps, Inkworks, Rittenhouse and Upper Deck. Wow!

For a moment, I forgot the Australian company Intrepid that made a set in the 90's as well!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: barobehere,

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I can't see both RA and UD holding the same title, at the same time. Were I to guess, I'd say that UD probably took it over, but I don't know to what end. They will follow the standard UD box construction, possibly backed up by e-packs later on, and the sticker autographs will be short hits. It is always nice to have more new cards on a favorite title, but UD remains very restrictive to me.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting to see Upper Deck continuing to go after 'classic' releases like Alien, Clerks, Predator and now X-Files.

I wonder if the older licenses/assets are significantly more affordable. They've put together nice sets with Alien and Clerks (Clerks even has on card autographs), and interestingly Clerks didn't seem to sell particularly well but I've never seen it more than 25% off on ePack, so they don't really seem to be in a hurry to sell it through.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Could it not be that Rittenhouse only have the license for the new seasons, and UD hold the license for previous seasons?

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Just saw on the beckett site that this is going to be a 300 card base set covering the entire series-episode cards, alien cards, character cards. Might have to pull out the X-files CCG binders and decide if I want to work on something so large again!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This will be massive for X-File card collectors and its dropping in January 2019. The copy is kind of confusing. There are inserts sets and a 100 card sticker set included in this one. I can't figure out if the 300 card base set is counting the 100 stickers or not.

Anyway its 6 cards in a pack, 20 packs in a box, 12 boxes in a case. With all the hits and inserts and stickers, you may be looking at 3 base sets or less per case.

And on a title that has already been pretty well covered. WOW! UD must think that the e-Packs will absorb anything left is about all I can think.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is all very interesting isn’t it.

On the face of it I would think rittenhouse would do a better job given on card autographs and a whopping 36 autos per case. Upper deck have the better material to work with though, as the earlier series were far superior to the latter material.

As discussed, it will be interesting to find out if this was a switch of licence or whether there was a different licence for the last couple of series.

I hope this competition pushes both sets to be good.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
2019 UPPER DECK THE X-FILES UFOS AND ALIENS TRADING CARDS BOX HITS:
(2) Single or Dual Autographed Cards, Printing Plates or Original Sketch Cards
2019 UPPER DECK THE X-FILES UFOS AND ALIENS TRADING CARDS CASE HITS:
(4) Redacted Files Insert Cards
2019 UPPER DECK THE X-FILES UFOS AND ALIENS TRADING CARDS PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:
The X-Files – UFOs and Aliens Edition Trading Cards features a comprehensive 300 Card Base Set!
Autographs, Sketch Cards & Printing Plates combine to fall at least (2) in Every Box!
Monster Chase Hits include Single & Dual Autographed Printing Plates!!
Behind the Scenes insert cards provide a glimpse behind the scenes from the production of The X-Files!
A light is shone on notable investigations in history in the Unexplained Phenomena insert.
Sift through public records in the X-Files Redacted Files insert.
The Characters insert traces notable characters that became involved with UFOs and Aliens from The X-Files.
Search for Original Art Sketch Cards!
Look for Paranormal Script Printing Plates signed by The X-Files Actors, Creators & Producers numbered 1-of-1!
Hunt for all 100 unique Sticker Cards!

They show a dual Mulder/Skully auto on the digital sell sheet. I have to point out, sticker or not, this is the first time you can pull one of these out of a box.

And with a MAP Price of around $79 or less, it's not as expensive as I feared it might be for a 2 hit a box product.

Ed

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
For a time this afternoon, Upper Deck had some live photos posted on their Facebook page with live pictures of a few autographs including on-card inscriptions from Anderson and Duchovny as well as a dual inscribed card from the pair, also on-card.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Full checklist is up: https://www.beckett.com/news/2...liens-trading-cards/

Release date is March 13.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
300 card base set, but only 1 - 100 seem to really be the normal sort of base cards.

101 - 200 are SP short prints. (1 per hobby, 4:3 e-Pack)

201 - 300 are SSP. (1:2 hobby, 2:3 e-Pack)

I'm assuming those are meant to be per pack ratios, not absolutely sure as I can't recall seeing base card odds listed this way before. Nor can I recall seeing e-Pack ratios before the Hobby is out. And this is not even mentioning the actual hits.

So I guess we have a new formula here. UD does it again. Wink

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
300 card base set, but only 1 - 100 seem to really be the normal sort of base cards.

101 - 200 are SP short prints. (1 per hobby, 4:3 e-Pack)

201 - 300 are SSP. (1:2 hobby, 2:3 e-Pack)

I'm assuming those are meant to be per pack ratios, not absolutely sure as I can't recall seeing base card odds listed this way before. Nor can I recall seeing e-Pack ratios before the Hobby is out. And this is not even mentioning the actual hits.

So I guess we have a new formula here. UD does it again. Wink[/QUOTE

This is quite common in sports cards. It is per pack. So, you will hit a short print once in every hobby pack. You will hit 4 in every 3 packs of Epacks.

I have a feeling that since the internet played such a huge role on the X-files that they figure they might get more activity on Epack with this release.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
So if i buy the 1--100 cards do i have a base set?

Are cards 101--300 chase cards?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
This is quite common in sports cards. It is per pack. So, you will hit a short print once in every hobby pack. You will hit 4 in every 3 packs of Epacks.

I have a feeling that since the internet played such a huge role on the X-files that they figure they might get more activity on Epack with this release.

I haven't bought a sport product in over 10 years, so I didn't know they have adapted the idea of short prints as having "hit" ratios in packs. I did buy into a couple of products where the last 10 or 20 cards in the set were short prints, but they had 80 - 90 cards before them that were the regular base set.

Do many sports card sets have it done to this extent? UD is working in thirds here. Thirty-three percent is more or less common base, the next thirty-three percent is short and the next thirty-three percent is really short. You could probably consider two thirds of the set to be chase cards, but they are not called that, just SP and SSP. Is that normal for sports cards? And when was it decided that it's what non-sport card collectors want to follow? Why should e-Packers get more benefits, when more traditional buyers can spend as much or more?

I think I have to let UD pass now. I like their cards. I like most of their titles. I have money and I wish I could spend it on UD cards. I can't, they don't want my business, simple as that. This is the last post I make on a UD product unless there is a total restructuring of their construction model, you can hold me to it. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I disagree with some of the negativity. I think it actually looks a really interesting checklist and I love the idea of inscription autographs. They worked really well with the Aliens Movie release, and I hope they do this with the upcoming James Bond Collection as the possibilities there are huge!

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

This is the last post I make on a UD product, you can hold me to it. Big Grin

..........and don't think we won't. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

Do many sports card sets have it done to this extent? UD is working in thirds here. Thirty-three percent is more or less common base, the next thirty-three percent is short and the next thirty-three percent is really short. You could probably consider two thirds of the set to be chase cards, but they are not called that, just SP and SSP. Is that normal for sports cards? And when was it decided that it's what non-sport card collectors want to follow? Why should e-Packers get more benefits, when more traditional buyers can spend as much or more?

Yes, The short print and super short print are very commonly used now. Upper deck has been doing it with hockey since the mid to late nineties.

Epack (while I only do the free daily one), is seen as the way of the future for some. I used to own a comic book shop and I carried sport cards. For some buyers, they would buy a box, open up all the packs, take all the hits and leave the base for me to give out. I have talked with some of the guys who did this and they love the Epack system.

I will add my two cents on this set. It has been a while since I have been kinda giddy on getting a set and this is it.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
UD has been doing short prints on the Marvel base sets for years. This just takes it to a whole new level.

And yes Wolfie, I would consider 1-100 a base set.
101-300 are chase, IMHO. I personally would much rather have this format than 2 levels of parallel that are exactly the same cards with foil highlights or something.

At 1 per pack, a 101-200 won't be too hard to put together. Again though, you'll likely need to TRADE. Which is why ePack is so popular. You can trade with no postage, and even crossover between sets.

I like this set, will open some, and will definitely have it at the Chicago and Philly shows.

Ed

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

And yes Wolfie, I would consider 1-100 a base set.
101-300 are chase, IMHO. I personally would much rather have this format than 2 levels of parallel that are exactly the same cards with foil highlights or something.

Ed

Thanks Ed, i think i agree with that also.