Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Marvel Anime from Upper Deck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Anime from Upper Deck
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
This will probably go down as a controversial set, as purists won't like the anime treatment. But new art in a fresh style has me intrigued.

quote:
Marvel Anime
Upper Deck
August

In a move that purists will hate, Upper Deck brings us a blend of Anime and Marvel. Featuring the fan favorite artist Peach Momoko (who has done a LOT of variant cover work for Marvel) on the 90 Card Base set, this set looks like an interesting take on the Marvel universe. One artist auto per box and only 1-2 sketches per case make this more about the set and less about the hits. The base set and 3 main chase sets feature all original art, so this is not a set you have seen before. Here are the details…

90 Card Base Set: All Original Art By Peach Momoko
• 2 Unique Foil Board Parallels (1:4 Packs)
• Japanese Language Parallel (1:8 Packs)
• Artist Autographed Parallel Set (1:16 Packs)
Mechanized Insert Set (1-2 Per Box)
Kaiju Insert Set (1-2 Per Box)
Idols Insert Set (1-2 Per Box)
• Insert Parallels
Capsule Character Dyson Cards (1-2 Per Box)
• Mini Cards with Characters Inspired By Japanese Toy Capsules
• Numbered Green and Red Parallels
Chibi Cards (Mini Cards with Chibi Style Art) (Approximately 3 In 4 Boxes)
• 4 Tiers of Rarity
Hanafuda Style Cards (Japanese Playing Cards) (Approximately 1 In 8 Boxes)
Stax Cards (Layer the Acetate Cards to Complete a CMYK Image) (1:4 Packs)
• Regular and Short Prints
Original Art Sketch Cards (1-2 Per Case)
• Artists Include Peach Momoko

5 Cards Per Pack / 16 Packs Per Box / 8 Boxes Per Inner Case / 2 Inner Cases Per Master Case

Personally I'm excited to see this new take on Marvel characters. The digital sell sheets below show a lot of details.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks fresh, which is hard to do these days.

Any idea on price point?

Ohh, and -- will this be out before Chasing Amy?

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Looks fresh, which is hard to do these days.

Any idea on price point?

Ohh, and -- will this be out before Chasing Amy?

Everything will be out before Chasing Amy! How long have we been waiting 19 months now?

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I would like to see how the actual cards for this look. The seven or eight characters I see look nice, but they don't seem to be rendered in the true Anime style. It also says, "All images subject to change. Design subject to changes". So that sort of implies that this is not what it may look like.

A couple of the sketches lean more to Anime, but then they also say "subject to change".

I've never been a big fan of Anime myself, for the same reason that I don't much care for Funko Pops, Katie Cook sketches or those paintings by that artist who only does big-eyed children. Big Grin It's a style and you have to like the style or it all kind of looks the same to you.

Still it's a nice idea to get a new perspective on the characters as long as it doesn't appear as caricatures of the characters. Can you make a comic drawing of a comic drawing? Big Grin

I could do without the cards with Japanese writing though. We know where Anime comes from.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is an interesting angle, but when the company says "featuring the fan favorite artist Peach Momoko," does that mean most or all the art is by her? I think something like this should feature the art of at least a few different artists. That way you get the provided range in style and maybe something edgier and maybe something different in some other way. Not every Marvel card collector is going to buy this. Upper Deck could appeal to the anime and general art card collector a little more by showing a wider range of styles.

I definitely think the sketches should be by a variety of artists. If nothing else, additional sketches would give somebody buying a box a better chance at one than 1 or 2 per case.

I think the addition of kanji characters is a good idea. I would make the back text brief enough so there is room for a Japanese translation. Why not appeal to Japanese collectors as well?

When Upper Deck says the intention is to "make this more about the set and less about the hits," I hope that means the product is going to be correspondingly less expensive.

Jess

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Peach Momoko did the base set art and has some original sketches in the packs. Then it has "artists include Peach Momoko" under the "Original Art Sketch" card mention and Box Hits says "1 Artist Autograph". Seems like we have other artists, but UD sell sheets are just that, sell sheets. And they are telling you that you can't hold them to it. Big Grin

As for the Japanese writing, they should make an international edition if they want to market in Japan. Gaming cards do that or at least they used to do that. Cards should be tailored for the country of sale if the demand is there.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
They could sell every box of this in Japan without bothering anywhere else.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
They could sell every box of this in Japan without bothering anywhere else.

Somehow I think this might have already been done in Japan. The Far East isn't too worried about copyrights going by what I hear. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

Everything will be out before Chasing Amy! How long have we been waiting 19 months now?

RIGHT!!!!

One day Jason Lee will have an autograph card!!

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Peach Momoko’s comic book covers are routinely popular sellers so I think having her art for the base cards is a good idea to help broaden the appeal of Marvel trading cards to a wider audience of comic book collectors that are fans of her style and anime in general. This will also give the base set an uniformed look along the lines of 2016 and 2018 Master Masterpieces with Joe Jusko and then Simone Bianchi, but at a lower price point could appeal to potential new collectors.

For examples of her cards check out 2019 Flair Marvel. Among the characters she drew were: Black Cat, Captain Marvel, Danielle Moonstar, Lady Deathstrike, Psylocke, Red Goblin, Shuri (Black Panther), and Squirrel Girl. In that set there were artist autograph cards numbered to 30 and her auto cards are among the higher sellers for this set.

Posts: 684 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just skimmed the breakdown and didn't notice that other artists are involved but then they didn't list any others either. Yeah, UD is just showing what might be in the set.

I do like the Japanese text parallel idea. It's cheaper than doing two complete editions. If it sells out quickly. They'll do another one.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
It sounds like Peach Momoko did the base set art and has some original sketches in the packs. Then it has "artists include Peach Momoko" under the "Original Art Sketch" card mention and Box Hits says "1 Artist Autograph". Seems like we have other artists, but UD sell sheets are just that, sell sheets. And they are telling you that you can't hold them to it. Big Grin

As for the Japanese writing, they should make an international edition if they want to market in Japan. Gaming cards do that or at least they used to do that. Cards should be tailored for the country of sale if the demand is there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I'm largely ignorant of the anime world other than knowing there's an annual convention in San Jose (and probably other nearby cities) and that it has a huge following. I didn't know who Peach Momoko is. Maybe this will be a big thing for Upper Deck.

If the company is cutting back on sketches, it should cut back on the price. If the sketches are rare, I hope they're all really nice.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Peach Momoko’s comic book covers are routinely popular sellers so I think having her art for the base cards is a good idea to help broaden the appeal of Marvel trading cards to a wider audience of comic book collectors that are fans of her style and anime in general. This will also give the base set an uniformed look along the lines of 2016 and 2018 Master Masterpieces with Joe Jusko and then Simone Bianchi, but at a lower price point could appeal to potential new collectors.

For examples of her cards check out 2019 Flair Marvel. Among the characters she drew were: Black Cat, Captain Marvel, Danielle Moonstar, Lady Deathstrike, Psylocke, Red Goblin, Shuri (Black Panther), and Squirrel Girl. In that set there were artist autograph cards numbered to 30 and her auto cards are among the higher sellers for this set.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Looks like the inserts (Kaiju, Idols, Mechanized, Chibi, Capsule and Stax) are done by other artists and there could be autographed versions of the Kaiju, Idols, and Mechanized cards.

Since the cards with the Japanese text are parallels they could be good for trading/selling if you aren’t into parallels Thumb Up

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I just skimmed the breakdown and didn't notice that other artists are involved but then they didn't list any others either. Yeah, UD is just showing what might be in the set.

I do like the Japanese text parallel idea. It's cheaper than doing two complete editions. If it sells out quickly. They'll do another one.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Posts: 684 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post