Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    CBLDF and Cryptozoic Team Up for Charity Trading Card Set
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CBLDF and Cryptozoic Team Up for Charity Trading Card Set
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted

Hi All:

As promised, here is a new series announcement from a new trading card manufacturer (a bit more on that in the post below).

This sounds pretty exciting. Checkout some of the names and properties associated with the series.

CBLDF and Cryptozoic Team Up for Charity Trading Card Set!!

Irvine, CA—February 23, 2011: Cryptozoic Entertainment™ and the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund™ have joined forces to protect creativity by collaborating on a new trading card set. The Liberty Trading Cards set tells the story of the fight to defend the First Amendment and includes chase cards from the greatest creators in comics and entertainment. The set will be released in July 2011, with proceeds from the sales benefiting the Fund.

"Cryptozoic is one of the most exciting new companies in pop culture, and we’re thrilled to work with them on this dynamic card project," says CBLDF Executive Director Charles Brownstein. "Together we’ll be showing how the CBLDF has advanced Free Expression in comics and gathering one of the coolest collections of incentive cards ever assembled."

The Liberty Trading Cards set will feature a base set of seventy-two cards representing the history of comics censorship, from the Seduction of the Innocent era in the 1950s to the modern day. In addition to the base set, special hand drawn sketches and autograph cards by some of the top talent in the comic book world will be featured in this release!

Already signed on to collaborate are Geoff Johns, Neil Gaiman, Darwyn Cooke, Gail Simone, Mark Waid, Brian Azzarello, Paul Levitz, Denny O’Neil, Frank Quitely, Phil Hester, and many more.

"The generous response from the creative community has been overwhelming," said CBLDF Board President Larry Marder. "The most impressive gesture has been how many creators are briefly lending CBLDF their Intellectual Property for this project only. Creators letting us borrow their characters for these artists to sketch include Jeff Smith, Marc Silvestri, Erik Larsen, John Layman, Jim Valentino, Matt Wagner, Rob Liefeld, Stan Sakai, Eric Powell, Mike Richardson, and many others."

Go to www.cbldf.org for a complete up-to-date list of all sketchers and signers.

"I can’t tell you how proud we are to partner with the CBLDF," said Cory Jones, President of Cryptozoic Entertainment. "The Fund has been one of my favorite charities for years, and to be able to support it on this scale is incredible."

The Comic Book Legal Defense fund is a nonprofit organization that was created in 1986 with a mission to protect the most basic right: freedom of speech. The organization exists to protect the First Amendment rights of the creators, retailers, publishers, and readers of comics.

Defend creativity and own a piece of comics history with the CBLDF Liberty Trading Cards, coming this July from Cryptozoic!

About the CBLDF

The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund was founded in 1986 as a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of First Amendment rights for members of the comics community. They have defended dozens of Free Expression cases in courts across the United States, and led important education initiatives promoting comics literacy and free expression. For additional information, donations, and other inquiries call 800-99-CBLDF or visit them online at www.cbldf.org www.cbldf.org.

About Cryptozoic Entertainment

Cryptozoic Entertainment was founded in 2010 on the core principle of "fans first." The Cryptozoic staff consists of fans who are dedicated to producing the highest quality product and community experience possible. Visit www.cryptozoic.com for additional product and event information.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
You'll be seeing much more from Cryptozoic Entertainment. They have some pretty amazing things coming up. Big Grin

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic produce the World of WarCraft card game, and Cory Jones was the former Director of Brand and New Product Development with Upper Deck before leaving for Blizzard! and then starting Cryptozoic for the WoW transfer, so the company has some experience in cards already. CBDL means everyone will want to work on the set and it should sell out very quickly. I wonder what the price point will be.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Great news and allways good to see a new company come into the card collecting world. In this case also a good cause to support. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a cool set and a promising new manufacturer! Smile Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

This is indeed exciting news.

Cryptozoic are doing good things with the WoW Trading Card Game according to some of my friends who play the game. Upper Deck lost it's way with Vs System, a game I loved more than I can explain, and seemed to self destruct with YuGiOh and WoW.

The talent already listed for this release is quite impressive and has me very interested.

Worth the wait Harris, thanks Thumb Up.

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I made one minor update to the release above. The base set will be 72 cards, not 70 as it originally said.

Thanks everyone. This should be a cool release as should the other forthcoming Cryptozoic Entertainment releases.

Thanks.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Oh i've gone off it now then. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hcbrewer
posted Hide Post
very exciting Smile

keep us posted Harris !
will there be more in the next magazine?

Posts: 438 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hcbrewer:
very exciting Smile

keep us posted Harris !
will there be more in the next magazine?

Yes, count on it. King Biegel is hard at work on it right now.

NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
Actually, that's the next next magazine.

~Alan

PS - Hey, this is post 100! Cool, I'm finally triple digiting.

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A_Biegel:
Actually, that's the next next magazine.

~Alan

PS - Hey, this is post 100! Cool, I'm finally triple digiting.

OK, but there still is something about Cryptozoic Entertainment in the next issue. But you're right KB, the article that you're hard at work is in the following issue. Sorry.

So is it clear now? Razz

Manufacturer
Picture of Scott Gaeta
posted Hide Post
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to pop in real quick and say thanks for the support. We're all very passionate about this cause and the set at CZE so it's nice to see that you like it too. This is just the start of more to come so stay tuned to NSU!

In the meantime, I will put in my shameless plug for our CZE Facebook page. This is where you can find news and info about non Warcraft products.

Cryptozoic Facebook

We also have a new website launching in about two weeks that will feature more robust product pages for our upcoming trading card releases.

Best,

Scott

Posts: 112 | Location: Irvine, CA.  | Registered: February 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Scott. Wavey

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott.
I "friended" you guys on FB, too.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
So I got the okay to show off some of these Comic Book Legal Defense Fund: Liberty Sketch Cards I have been doing Smile I can't say that not too much gets me excited anymore as far as Sketch cards goes, but drawing Spawn and Dragon Professionally got me so amped up, it was like being in High School again, doodling on the back of test papers! Just a taste for now!

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great cards, Rich!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAMolinelli
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon, I have a bunch more but they are going to be debuted on the CBLDF Blog I was told today. So stay tuned!

Posts: 472 | Location: Outer Space | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Just got ordering information today...

They say August for the release date.

Great work Rich, can't wait to see what everyone comes up with and who they get involved. It's a great cause and I know a fair number of artists will step up and do something, even if it's not a lot.

Looking forward to this one!

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
CZE posted some new info on Liberty Trading Cards tonight:

All information confirmed as of 4/28/11. Keep checking back as we add more information for the upcoming CBLDF Liberty trading card set!

Release Date: Summer 2011
Packs: 5 cards per pack; 24 packs per box
MSRP: $3.50 pack
Base set: 72 Cards
Chase Sets: Two 9-card chase sets
Inserts: Autographs and Sketch Cards

Confirmed Autographs as of 4/28/2011

Neil Gaiman
Jimmy Palmiotti
Paul Pope
Mark Waid
Amanda Conner
Judd Winick
Marv Wolfman
Geoff Johns
Charlie Adlard
Jim Valentino
Peter David
Dan Panosian
Darick Robertson
Rob Liefeld
Frank Quitely
Paul Levitz
Gail Simone
Phil Hester
John Layman
Rick Veitch
Larry Marder
James Kochalka
Mike Richardson
Robert Kirkman
Steve Lieber
Ben McCool
Ryan Otley
Peter Kuper
Bill Morrison
Eric Powell
Scott McCloud
Darwyn Cooke
Denny O'Neil
Kurt Busiek
Steve Bissette
Brian Azzarello
Erik Larsen
Jeff Smith
Brad Meltzer  

Source: Cryptozoic's Libert Trading Card Page. Please visit CZE's site for more info and card images.