Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2021 Star Wars Stellar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 Star Wars Stellar
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Portman and Dawson made the list. Amy Sedaris also new.
Guess they have not run out of Kenny Baker stickers yet.

Autographs Set Checklist
36 cards.
PARALLEL CARDS: Blue #/25, Green #/20, Purple #/10, Gold #/5, Galactic Black 1/1, Rebel Alliance Orange 1/1, Imperial Red 1/1.

A-AB Ahmed Best
A-AD Adam Driver
A-AE Ashley Eckstein
A-AS Andy Serkis
A-ASP Amy Sedaris
A-BDW Billy Dee Williams
A-BL Billie Lourd
A-CB Caroline Blakiston
A-CH Clint Howard
A-CW Carl Weathers
A-DLI Diana Lee Inosanto
A-DR Daisy Ridley
A-EC Emilia Clarke
A-EK Erin Kellyman
A-ES Emily Swallow
A-FJ Felicity Jones
A-GE Giancarlo Esposito
A-HC Hayden Christensen
A-HF Harrison Ford
A-HQ Hugh Quarshie
A-JAT James Arnold Taylor
A-KB Kenny Baker
A-KMT Kelly Marie Tran
A-LM Lars Mikkelsen
A-ML Matt Lanter
A-MP Michael Pennington
A-MV Mercedes Varnado
A-MW Matthew Wood
A-NA Naomi Ackie
A-NP Natalie Portman
A-OA Omid Abtahi
A-RD Rosario Dawson
A-SK Simon Kassianides
A-TG Taylor Gray
A-TW Taika Waititi
A-WD Warwick Davis

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The Sedaris autograph looks like the whole process was a real hassle for her.

Portman rode the Daisy train and decided half a signature is all we deserve.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
The Sedaris autograph looks like the whole process was a real hassle for her.

To pay a bushel of money for a one-name autograph of a two-name star has always seemed silly to me. Neither of them are Cher.

Not that I would ever spend Stellar money anyway, but I don't like the cards from a visual standpoint. The 2021 design in particular doesn't appeal to me on most of the ones I've seen and the autographs from a majority of signers run the gamut from sloppy to illegible. Nevertheless, its popular because the sum of its parts are still greater than the whole. I wonder when the accumulating numbers and availability of certain signers will tip the scales on that.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember when collecting Star Wars cards wasn't simply collecting autographs, which is something a different group of collectors did on 3x5 index cards or glossies.

Nice to see a new Star Wars set out considering what little exposure that franchise has had over the last decade.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:

Nice to see a new Star Wars set out considering what little exposure that franchise has had over the last decade.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Yes of course. Poor Star Wars, always riding under the radar. Cool

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not that I would ever spend Stellar money anyway, but I don't like the cards from a visual standpoint.

Yeah I have to admit I had a slight jump back response when I first saw them. I seem to recall one of the action figure lines having this design type. I wasn't crazy about that one either. My other problem is that low number cards start to lose their value effect if every set has the same signers. Obviously with a small group of exceptions.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

Finally looked up this card on eBay and the very few there are all look the same, NATAL. That's two letters shy of half a signature. Big Grin

I seriously think that some of these celebrities do it on purpose just for kicks. I see a "paid" signature like that and I can't be a fan of that person. Shake Head

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Finally looked up this card on eBay and the very few there are all look the same, NATAL. That's two letters shy of half a signature. Big Grin

I seriously think that some of these celebrities do it on purpose just for kicks. I see a "paid" signature like that and I can't be a fan of that person. Shake Head

RIGHT!!! Even worse there is plenty of room for the rest of her name. Even WORSE! the stupid money being spent on them is only going up.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIGHT!!! Even worse there is plenty of room for the rest of her name. Even WORSE! the stupid money being spent on them is only going up.

Yeah, it could have been a nice looking card if she had honored her "paid" obligation to actually sign her name PROFESSIONALLY. I'm not too sure how solid the auction prices are at this point though. Getting a case of this stuff, which is really a box with 40 signatures in it, is a big investment and many "buyers" are just counting on selling off at least some cards, if not all, to support it.

So a first timer like Portman would be one of the lynchpins to getting your money back. Sellers are going to make an early effort to keep the prices high on that card and card collectors might just do it for fear of losing the chance.

I'd like to believe that autograph collectors would be unimpressed, if not downright offended, and be less inclined to shell out good money for it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Her full signature looks like "NATAL PORT" but I think we're a long way past every letter being legible with 90% of all signers these days. A stylised signature with 'missing letters' is nothing new.

I'm no fanboy of Portman's but I do think her penmanship is good and looks much nicer than your average. Compare her autograph to what her co-stars Ewan McGregor or Hayden Christensen give... she knocks them into a cocked hat!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Portman started acting as a child and has been signing things since The Professional in 1994 when she was 13 years old. You can find a whole progression of her signatures if you flip through various search engines and websites. It began as a complete signature. Then she started dropping last letters, so the "ie" and "man" disappeared over time. Now for the Stellar card she lost her whole last name and we are left with only Natal.

The reason why I find this particular annoying is not just because she was paid to do it, or because people are willing to shell out four figures on it, but because this is her only certified card to date. She has many autographs on the market, but like all major stars a very high percentage of them are fakes, counterfeits, pre-prints, facsimiles, autopens, insert whatever name you want to call them not hand signed genuine autographs.

The whole point of paying so much money for Stellar, if it has a point, is that you know it's authentic. Unfortunately in this case, it's an authentication of the shortest version of a signature that she has offered up to date. Knowing that these cards will wind up with fans that will pay dearly for them, I think she should have done better, as this is not a case of merely bad penmanship, but a shortened signature.

I would say the same thing when anyone uses initials. If that's how they always signed fine, but if they have full signatures, nobody wants to settle for a new initial version. If it's a paid job, fans do have a right to expect the "money signature", whether it is legible or illegible. It just has to be consistent and not tossed out like some careless freebie.