Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2023 Golden Globes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023 Golden Globes
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Autograph Cards did very well!

Cate Blanchett, Tár
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Kevin Costner, Yellowstone
Amanda Seyfried, The Dropout
Evan Peters, Dahmer — Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Cate didn't attend. She's probably used to winning by now.
Kevin couldn't attend as he had a shelter-in-place order from the heavy rains in Northern California according to the presenters of his award.
Amanda couldn't attend as she's deep in the progress creating a new musical, according to the presenters of her award.

Loved the speeches from Ke Huy Quan and Yeoh from "Everything..." and Spielberg's when he won for directing "Fabelmans." All were very moving.

Front runner for the Best Picture Academy Award, based on last night, are "Fabelmans" and "Banshees". Austin Butler beat Brendan Fraser for Best Actor, or that could've been another card-signing winner. Be interesting to see if that happens again at the Oscars.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Autograph Cards did very well!

Cate Blanchett, Tár
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Kevin Costner, Yellowstone
Amanda Seyfried, The Dropout
Evan Peters, Dahmer — Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
Jennifer Coolidge, The White Lotus

What set did Jennifer Coolidge sign for?

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:

I know I have her on a Pop Century autograph card.

Many people don't realize that Ke Huy Quan played Short Round in Indy.

If anyone even read the plot for "Banshees", I don't know why they would want to see it, let alone as Best Picture. Sorry, but it sounds dreadful to me. The "Fabelmans" got it because the Hollywood Foreign Press needed to put Spielberg on the stage. The Academy Awards may feel the same way.

I did see both "Tar" and "Everything Everywhere All at Once". Both are flawed and neither one a masterpiece, but worthy of viewing and discussion. Either one would have been a better "Best" choice, as hits like Top Gun or even the new Aviator, are just too commercial for the artistic palate of the industry voters.

I wonder if anyone thought Brendan Fraser lost because of his history with the HFP? I did.

Yeoh and Blanchett go head-to-head for the Oscars, and I would like Yeoh to grab it, but Blanchett deserves it more. They both dominate their films and should have been in different years.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

If anyone even read the plot for "Banshees", I don't know why they would want to see it, let alone as Best Picture. Sorry, but it sounds dreadful to me. The "Fabelmans" got it because the Hollywood Foreign Press needed to put Spielberg on the stage. The Academy Awards may feel the same way.

I did see both "Tar" and "Everything Everywhere All at Once". Both are flawed and neither one a masterpiece, but worthy of viewing and discussion. Either one would have been a better "Best" choice, as hits like Top Gun or even the new Aviator, are just too commercial for the artistic palate of the industry voters.

I wonder if anyone thought Brendan Fraser lost because of his history with the HFP? I did.

Yeoh and Blanchett go head-to-head for the Oscars, and I would like Yeoh to grab it, but Blanchett deserves it more. They both dominate their films and should have been in different years.

I saw "Banshees" and I give it two severed thumbs up.

I'm pretty sure the story is metaphorical, but I'm not familiar enough with "The Troubles" that beset Ireland to know exactly what meant what within the allegory it presented. It is pretty dour, all right, but exceedingly well acted.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure the story is metaphorical, but I'm not familiar enough with "The Troubles" that beset Ireland to know exactly what meant what within the allegory it presented. It is pretty dour, all right, but exceedingly well acted.

I don’t know how you don’t give the Oscar to Blanchett, but The Academy and their politics is beyond me. With that being said, Yeoh still might win. I think she’s the sentimental favorite. ANY other year besides TAR, she’d have been a shoe-in to win. Maybe we can repeat 1968(?) and have a tie…When Hepburn and Streisand tied for Best Actress.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Good one. Big Grin

I'm not a big fan of metaphors, even when i understand them, which I generally don't. Wink

Yes, a tie between Yeoh and Blanchett would be appropriate, but they could also cancel each other out and someone else like Williams wins. I think the Oscar goes to Blanchett if it stays true.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
From a trading card perspective, I suppose a Yeoh win would increase the value of her cards, but not sure there would be much change on the Blanchett ones at this point. I won't be parting with the ones I have from both in my collection, any time soon, either way. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
From a trading card perspective, I suppose a Yeoh win would increase the value of her cards, but not sure there would be much change on the Blanchett ones at this point. I won't be parting with the ones I have from both in my collection, any time soon, either way. Big Grin

Yeoh should have already increased for anybody paying attention, but she also has a good supply of signed cards thanks to Bond, Discovery and Star Trek Arts & Images.

Blanchett has only the two from the first two sets of Lord of the Rings. Furthermore, her current autograph is barely more than a scrawl, as compared to the fairly complete signatures on her cards. Even though her card prices have risen, I feel they are still seriously undervalued. She is not-so arguably the finest actress of her generation and a couple of other generations, even if her work is often not terribly popular at the box office.

Definitely do not part with those cards, at least not until they earn their due. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Last night's Critic Choice Awards, which many people probably didn't know was on the CW, was actually a pretty good show. Much better than the Golden Globes, more of the big nominees showed up (although several stars stayed home with Covid) and the Host Chelsea Handler had a few good jokes. Mainly though, the whole presentation was more about the entertainment and less about the preaching.

For this one I thought the big winners were more in line with what I thought they should be, not that it matters of course. I don't know why they all have to give out life achievement awards, but at least Jeff Bridges was a fairly good one. So for the main categories:

"Everything Everywhere All at Once was Best Picture", along with the "two Daniels" Kwan and Scheinert as both Best Director and Best Screenplay for that one. Brendan Fraser and Cate Blanchett took Best Actor and Actress. Ke Huy Quan and Angela Bassett were Best Supporting Actor and Actress.

So EEAAO really made a sweep except for Yeoh, who is just unlikely to top Blanchett in this year. I think the CCA will likely be the best awards show of the year, since the Oscars will be overblown, highly political and Spielberg friendly. Catch it on replay if you can.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We saw it, but couldn't hear it. It aired locally on KTLA (which has all CW programming) and the sound was out for the entirety of the show. Mad

We used to closed-captioning and our amateur lip reading abilities to enjoy the festivities as best we could.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last night's Critic Choice Awards, which many people probably didn't know was on the CW, was actually a pretty good show. Much better than the Golden Globes, more of the big nominees showed up (although several stars stayed home with Covid) and the Host Chelsea Handler had a few good jokes. Mainly though, the whole presentation was more about the entertainment and less about the preaching.

For this one I thought the big winners were more in line with what I thought they should be, not that it matters of course. I don't know why they all have to give out life achievement awards, but at least Jeff Bridges was a fairly good one. So for the main categories:

"Everything Everywhere All at Once was Best Picture", along with the "two Daniels" Kwan and Scheinert as both Best Director and Best Screenplay for that one. Brendan Fraser and Cate Blanchett took Best Actor and Actress. Ke Huy Quan and Angela Bassett were Best Supporting Actor and Actress.

So EEAAO really made a sweep except for Yeoh, who is just unlikely to top Blanchett in this year. I think the CCA will likely be the best awards show of the year, since the Oscars will be overblown, highly political and Spielberg friendly. Catch it on replay if you can.

Agreed about the Blanchett autographs, greatly undervalued. A SWAU signing for her just closed, and it was costly but now Robert Downey Jr. costly. Her street graph is completely different from her “nice” graph. If you go to Sardis her portrait is recent - 2018 and it has her nice signature.