Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Is this how the new Green Hornet set will be distributed?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this how the new Green Hornet set will be distributed?
 Login/Join

posted
I found this over at the DCBS site:

http://www.dcbservice.com/category.aspx?id=10

"Rittenhouse Archives present their premiere edition of The Green Hornet trading cards, based on the new film starring Seth Rogen as The Green Hornet and Jay Chou as Kato! Each 18-card set includes Autograph Cards, Costume Cards, Relic Cards, and 'In Action' cards. Limited to only 400 sets, collectors will also want the rare Van Williams autograph cards!"

Expected release date is 1/12/2011.

So is this going to be a limited set similar to the Incredible Hulk set release with no packs available?

Best Regards,

Michael

Posts: 105 | Location: Mechanicsville | Registered: July 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
WEAK!! Oh well there goes that set.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Could we get a checklist for what is going to be in the set? I would like to know who signed and what the cards look like before I rethink about buying this. The Van Williams auto might push me over the edge if the rest of the cards are cool.

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Steve said at the last show that Rittenhouse would be doing some sets in a smaller factory type set if they thought the subject could not stand a full release so i guess this is one of those.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We'll have a lot of information about the new Rittenhouse series, including card images and checklist information, in the new Dec/Jan issue, which started shipping at the end of last week. You can find more information about our current issue here.

By the way, if you like Hornet, that this issue is for you! We also have an article about the vintage Green Hornet cards, postcards, and playing cards.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
WEAK!! Oh well there goes that set.

Really? I see it as a quick way to cut losses and maximize what they could get. I can't imagine a full-blown set would have exactly sold out...

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
SWEET! I will be watching my mailbox

posted Hide Post
wow yikes ... $287 for /400 Red Face

My WW2 Blog

-

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Steve said at the last show that Rittenhouse would be doing some sets in a smaller factory type set if they thought the subject could not stand a full release so i guess this is one of those.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Is the subject so narrow that a full release won't sell, in which case why bother, or doesn't the subject sell because no one can find it?

My local guy just told me that his distributor was not going to be carrying a few of the upcoming titles I was asking about. I can still get them through other channels, but I would have to order more than I needed. I think I will pass and probably look for individual cards off you know where.

I am beginning to see this new trend of per pack and per factory set releases as a problem. Limited is good, super limited is not. Either there is a demand or there isn't. If there is no demand I can't see how anyone, manufacturer or dealer, will make any money on it. If there is a good demand, and collectors can't buy any or have to pay a premium because someone underestimated interest, that's just frustrating. Either way it doesn't work.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
over to you Steve...........

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Studios usually put out their worst products in January. This does not bode well for the film. Licensing fees are expensive and I fear that a short quick hit on a small set may be the right business move.

I really hope I am wrong but I see a strong first week for this film and a fast drop as word of mouth gets around.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
If Christoph Waltz is signing then I'm in. I would hunt that card down if it was in boxes, packs, factory sets, or garage sales. If he isn't signing then I'm out.

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
According to reports I've read on-line, previews indicate that the film is good.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robomole:
If Christoph Waltz is signing then I'm in. I would hunt that card down if it was in boxes, packs, factory sets, or garage sales. If he isn't signing then I'm out.

Ahhh that would be delicious! I would pretend it's a Hans Landa character card Big Grin

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Is the subject so narrow that a full release won't sell, in which case why bother, or doesn't the subject sell because no one can find it?

My local guy just told me that his distributor was not going to be carrying a few of the upcoming titles I was asking about. I can still get them through other channels, but I would have to order more than I needed. I think I will pass and probably look for individual cards off you know where.

I am beginning to see this new trend of per pack and per factory set releases as a problem. Limited is good, super limited is not. Either there is a demand or there isn't. If there is no demand I can't see how anyone, manufacturer or dealer, will make any money on it. If there is a good demand, and collectors can't buy any or have to pay a premium because someone underestimated interest, that's just frustrating. Either way it doesn't work.

I guess I'm not understanding why the fact that one dealer isn't going to carry a product that it makes it super limited? Maybe it's time to see if another dealer can help.

I pass on certain releases that others assure me are sure bets. Benchwarmer, Justin Beiber, and Michael Jackson just aren't "scifi cards" enough for me to carry them. But that does not mean there isn't a market for them. It's just not what my customers want. But there will be plenty out there for my customers to find or for me to find for them so they don't have to go elsewhere. If the local dealer can't get what you want, that's his decision. If he really wanted to take care of customers he would find a way to get the product. Or that's my way of thinking.

Personally, this set has 2 things not in it's favor. One is that it has not even been officially solicited from Rittenhouse yet with just about a month to go before release. Customers need to plan for such things.

Second it the price point. I know they'll be cheaper, but with a $300+ SRP and only 2 autos this set seems a little pricey. But, I don't know what I have to work with until Rittenhouse offers them to dealers.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I guess I'm not understanding why the fact that one dealer isn't going to carry a product that it makes it super limited? Maybe it's time to see if another dealer can help.
Ed

Sorry if my remarks were unclear Ed. I was responding to Wolfie's comment about RA perhaps issuing product on a "subject that could not stand a full release". RA's normal product runs have been reasonably limited, so if you are talking about less than a full release it would have to be a pretty short printing.

I think Wolfie got what I meant when he shrewdly deferred to Steve. Big Grin

And it would be good to hear from a card manufacturer about this newer idea of loaded pack only products and factory sets only product on supposed limited demand titles, as opposed to a regular box release. Breygent has done it and RA seems to be doing it now, so I think its a great topic for a general discussion that's not just about Green Hornet.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Raven,

Sorry if I came across harsh, not enough smilies in that post. Roll Eyes

There is a thread about Premium packs. I think that they are a good way to get product out for marginal sets. I especially like it if the base set is also offered for pre-order like Breygent did with Woodstock. That way people have the chance to order what they wish to collect.

As for Green Hornet, this will be like all the other Rittenhouse sets that have an incentive autograph (in this case, one Van Williams auto for each 3 sets you buy). There will be plenty of the basic sets available at a reasonable price from those that ordered 3 to get the incentive and just want to dispose of the two 'extra' sets.

I'm not sure this one is going to work, but I applaud Steve and Co. for trying something new and not just cancelling the set when the demand was not high enough. Thumb Up

Ed Wave

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, not harsh at all Ed, and I know you take good care of all your customers. Congrats on doing your Treasure Chest of Art by the way. The only reason I didn't go in is because I'm an odd duck and don't use PayPal, but they'll be other times. Smile

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
No, not harsh at all Ed, and I know you take good care of all your customers. Congrats on doing your Treasure Chest of Art by the way. The only reason I didn't go in is because I'm an odd duck and don't use PayPal, but they'll be other times. Smile

Raven, if you want in on the treasure chest pick out which ones you would like and email me. I'm pretty flexible about how it has to be paid for.

Ed

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
email sent. Smile