Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New Mars Attacks Set! Mars Attacks: Invasion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mars Attacks Set! Mars Attacks: Invasion
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Those excellent Mars Attacks New Visions and Lost Paintings from the 1995 Mars Attacks Archives set that were not reprinted in the Heritage set would be most welcome this time around, as well as an all-new series of "New Visions". Those have been standouts in the Star Wars Galaxy sets, and should likewise be a part of all Mars Attacks sets going forward. There are a lot or great artists who have been inspired by Mars Attacks, and while it's not realistic to think many of them would do sketch cards, I'm sure most of them would love to do a one-off painting.

I just like it that they're back. The 1995 series and the accompanying promo cards in the Topps brand comics of that era were a lot of fun to collect, as I'm sure the original cards were in 1962. The Heritage set had to have done well considering another set is coming so quickly down the pike.

Looks like history is repeating itself with this Martian Re-Re-Invasion!

While there are no plans to reprint the 1994 "New Visions" or "Unpublished 11", you can find them reproduced in a slightly oversized format in Abram's recent hardcover book.

As for a second set of "New Visions," don't be surprised if you see something like that down the line. "Invasion," however, is primarily a story-based card set painted by a stable of extremely talented industry veterans.

If you want to hear more, keep an eye out at the NSU show May 4. Wink

-MC

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I have the Abrams book and the ones for Wacky Packs and GPK in the same format. All Topps painted art sets should be given the same treatment, each one really is a thing of beauty, very inexpensive, and all include cards, to boot.

I also the 94 Mars Attacks Archives set so I have the card versions of those "New Visions" and "Unpublished 11", I'd just like the newer collectors to have them, too. That Archives set was a big hit, and fairly limited, I think. It's now pretty hard to find without spending a goodly amount.

Thanks for checking in here, MC. Any sort of presence planned for Topps cards at Comic Con this year?

It's a good time to watch the skies, all right!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I have the Abrams book and the ones for Wacky Packs and GPK in the same format. All Topps painted art sets should be given the same treatment, each one really is a thing of beauty, very inexpensive, and all include cards, to boot.

I also the 94 Mars Attacks Archives set so I have the card versions of those "New Visions" and "Unpublished 11", I'd just like the newer collectors to have them, too. That Archives set was a big hit, and fairly limited, I think. It's now pretty hard to find without spending a goodly amount.

Thanks for checking in here, MC. Any sort of presence planned for Topps cards at Comic Con this year?

It's a good time to watch the skies, all right!

We are planning to be active at several conventions this summer, including SDCC.

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:

We are planning to be active at several conventions this summer, including SDCC.

Is there any chance of Topps UK coming to the Memorabilia show? They have been in the past but not for a very long time.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Is there any chance of Topps UK coming to the Memorabilia show? They have been in the past but not for a very long time.

It would be good if Topps UK were involved in some of the Trading cards - even if it was just promoting them. The sticker sets Topps UK do are great but the card sets are all gaming cards. I know we had the LOTR UK binders but that has been just about it in terms of Trading cards. They obviously got some sort of deal for the Dr Who stickers (and Attax cards) so I wonder why the trading cards failed!!!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've checked with them, and there are no plans for Topps UK to attend.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank you for asking. Is there a good reason why Topps UK do not support any of the UK shows as i find this really strange. I would have thought the chance of getting the companies products in front of thousands of people who may not even know they exist should be too good to turn down.
If there is a good reason which you cannot talk about i fully understand.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank you for asking. Is there a good reason why Topps UK do not support any of the UK shows as i find this really strange. I would have thought the chance of getting the companies products in front of thousands of people who may not even know they exist should be too good to turn down.
If there is a good reason which you cannot talk about i fully understand.

Sorry, can't really speak for Topps UK. We will be at the NSU show and perhaps at a few other comic-cons this summer, stateside.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rian posted on his blog that Nar is doing sketches for this

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
Rian posted on his blog that Nar is doing sketches for this

These are for IDW LIMITED's premium hardcover collection. Rest assured we are looking to secure the best artists we can for Invasion sketch cards.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ah...didn't realize that was part of the other release

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nice promo, we'll take it!. Ack Ack.

posted Hide Post
Check out a sneak peek at the upcoming set, complete with early concept sketches by EARL NOREM!

http://boingboing.net/2013/04/...exclusive-sneak.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martian Commander,

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:

Am I just being overly sensitive? Does this bother anyone else? This is probably just my problem.

I hope this answer does not upset you but you did ask.

You obviously feel connected to this because of the reasons you gave and there is nothing wrong with that.
I am a complete outsider on this and i have no problem with the image or the wording.
As i understand it when the original Mars Attacks cards came out there was much debate about those and i assume some people did not like them and others saw nothing wrong.

I guess this is one of those everybody makes up their own minds type of things, i don't think there is a right or wrong.

Intresting to hear what other people think though.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Kevin, remember that Mars Attacks is all make believe. In fact, if there ever was ny kind of invasion like this, it would be the US military that would be the first in the fray and suffer heavy casualties. That's their job.
The original set featured several cards with US troops getting killed by the Martians, and most sci fi films, like Independence Day or Battle Los Angeles depict the same thing. It's the US military that usually turns the tide and kicks alien *** in the end.
As a former soldier, I too am disturbed by the numbers of young men and women being killed in the current war, but that is real, these cards are not.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Well said, Don. I completely respect your feelings Kennywood but it seems like today everyone is offended by something and it's just gotten out of hand and I find it frustrating.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Its not a problem Kevin, its just that the reference to Marshall Island means something to you in your experience that others don't relate to in their experience. I know that there are certain things that trigger me now that didn't bother me when I was younger and it's because of things that have happened in my life. I don't expect people to agree with me about all of it, but I don't see any need to explain myself to them either. Big Grin

Anyway I will say one thing about make believe, part of the problem is that all this stuff is done so much better now. Movies, TV shows, card sets, sketches, etc. have so improved on the graphics and special effects that alien invasions, zombie apocalypses and such are downright grim. A lot of this has become a bit too graphic and grotesque for me even though I use to enjoy the creature features. It doesn't offend me, I just don't find a lot of it fun anymore. I think the more realistic something is made the less you can say it's only make believe. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While we wait for the new series, we're giving away a Mars Attacks Heritage sketch card on our facebook page!

www.facebook.com/MarsAttacks

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see someone has already listed the Philly Promo on "That Site" at $74.95. They must have listed it before the Philly Show opened???????

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post