Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
New Mars Attacks Set! Mars Attacks: Invasion

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/7327081036

July 04, 2013, 01:45 AM
paul hart
New Mars Attacks Set! Mars Attacks: Invasion
Very interested to see how this series willbe priced? Compared to 50th anniversary set,which was popular due to price point and nostalgia.
A hike in price may make the difference!!
July 04, 2013, 07:18 AM
Martian Commander
quote:
Originally posted by paul hart:
Very interested to see how this series willbe priced? Compared to 50th anniversary set,which was popular due to price point and nostalgia.
A hike in price may make the difference!!

Please keep in mind that Heritage was extremely consumer friendly ($2 a pack) due to the fact that the set was largely a re-issue.

"Invasion" is all new material, and will be priced more in line with other contemporary sets-- though certainly it will NOT be a premium priced product.

The set includes nearly 90 newly created pieces of art-- rare in today's trading cards. It features multiple guaranteed hits per box (2 instead of Heritage's 1).

To me, though, this set is not about the hits or the sketches or the printing plates, it's about the return of the most famous non-sports series ever, and the 63-card story base set that revives a classic series.

Unlike most sets where the base is filler to get to your hits, we've taken a lot of care to craft a unique and exciting story-based set that will carry the legacy of Mars Attacks into the 21st Century and really get people interested in collecting cards.

We're pretty excited about that.
July 04, 2013, 12:29 PM
paul hart
Thats very fair comment-looking forward
To seeing this set-artwork looks superb so far!
July 04, 2013, 04:16 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:
Please keep in mind that Heritage was extremely consumer friendly ($2 a pack) due to the fact that the set was largely a re-issue.

"Invasion" is all new material, and will be priced more in line with other contemporary sets-- though certainly it will NOT be a premium priced product.

The set includes nearly 90 newly created pieces of art-- rare in today's trading cards. It features multiple guaranteed hits per box (2 instead of Heritage's 1).

To me, though, this set is not about the hits or the sketches or the printing plates, it's about the return of the most famous non-sports series ever, and the 63-card story base set that revives a classic series.

Unlike most sets where the base is filler to get to your hits, we've taken a lot of care to craft a unique and exciting story-based set that will carry the legacy of Mars Attacks into the 21st Century and really get people interested in collecting cards.

We're pretty excited about that.

I think the artwork looks very good too from what I have seen. I'm happy that there are two hits per box and I image this will put it at about $20.00 more per box than the reprint set.

The only thing I would clarify is that card collectors are very interested in the hits, even if they like the base set. If nothing else its a byproduct of all the competition that's out there for our non-sport card money and the fact that multiple hit boxes are being produced as the norm.

I know that if the sketch card is the main hit, I have to pull something that looks like its done by a professional artist. That is my standard. I don't expect a valuable card, just a decent one. As long as I get that I'm good with it. Smile
July 04, 2013, 05:41 PM
Martian Commander
A fine perspective, Raven. I appreciate your comments.

If you want a look at the chase inserts, including ratios, check the link below.

http://www.cardboardconnection...vasion-trading-cards

Keep in mind that there are still a few features we're working on, and hopefully we'll have something to announce in addition to the details included already very soon.

-MC
July 04, 2013, 10:45 PM
Raven
I followed your link Martian Commander and the new set really seems to have a lot of variety in it. Got to admit I'm looking forward to it more now than I did when it was first announced.

And I also appreciate your time and willingness to talk to collectors on this forum. Its a personal touch that actually does not go unnoticed. Thumb Up
July 05, 2013, 09:34 AM
snoopy351
Well I was thinking about ordering multiple cases of this one, but after reading MC's comments I am not sure I will get this product at all. Base sets do NOT drive sales, and if the focus and excitement is on the base set, that tells me I will take a bath if I break multiple cases of this product. I appreciate that collectors and creative people would be super-excited about a new base set and story, but dealers need Topps to focus on the hits with equal if not more "excitement."
July 05, 2013, 11:03 AM
Martian Commander
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy351:
Well I was thinking about ordering multiple cases of this one, but after reading MC's comments I am not sure I will get this product at all. Base sets do NOT drive sales, and if the focus and excitement is on the base set, that tells me I will take a bath if I break multiple cases of this product. I appreciate that collectors and creative people would be super-excited about a new base set and story, but dealers need Topps to focus on the hits with equal if not more "excitement."

Have you taken the time read what the set is comprised of?

Instead of jumping to conclusion because of my excitement over working on this set, maybe you should look first.
July 05, 2013, 11:13 AM
Martian Commander
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I followed your link Martian Commander and the new set really seems to have a lot of variety in it. Got to admit I'm looking forward to it more now than I did when it was first announced.

And I also appreciate your time and willingness to talk to collectors on this forum. Its a personal touch that actually does not go unnoticed. Thumb Up

Thanks, Raven. We've taken a lot of time to really find ways to make this set interesting and not just another "been there, done that" kind of thing.

Heritage was a reissue, and we didn't want to overcomplicate the release with a ton of extras, but we felt the new cards and sketches added a little "umph" while allowing us to keep the price low and introduce Mars Attacks to a whole new generation-- and I think it worked.

For Invasion, we had to add the bells and whistles of course, but we didn't just want to play what I call "check box roulette". Sure we'll have sketch cards and printing plates, but we were dead-set AGAINST simple multi-colored parallels, for example.

We wanted our parallels to be interesting, and something fans would want to collect for their enjoyment rather than just the completist mentality.

The Heritage parallels for example-- a stroke of genius on the part of our editor even if the concept is a no-brainer (firmly in the category of "so obvious we missed it") we are taking the new art and using the original design from '62, and printed on Heritage paper stock. We think those will be the most exciting, so we made them fairly common-- so completing a set wouldn't be impossible. Concept parallels are also going to be fun, providing fans a glimpse at the creative process, and we haven't announced it in the release, but we're working to have a 50-each set of creator autographed parallels as well.

"Join the Fight" is a subset of propaganda poster cards, and "Anatomy of a Martian" is our way of trying to do something a little innovative, instead of just creating 5 new cards and making them rare for the sake of collectibility, fans will actually get something out of having all of them, and will make putting the set together more fun than just putting 5 cards in a binder.

Overall we're just having a blast putting together this set, writing the story, designing the art for the base set, coming up with new fun ideas for chase cards and hits... It would be really easy if this were a current movie or tv show set and we could throw actor autographs and prop relics in, and this really is a case where necessity became the mother of invention (and creativity!)

Hopefully the final product really shows it, and fans respond with equal excitement.

After all, this isn't just about sales, this is our attempt at making collecting cards fun and exciting again-- and attracting new fans-- something the hobby desperately needs.

-MC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martian Commander,
July 05, 2013, 12:37 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:

The inserts don't mean much without a strong base set, especially in this case. The base set needs to be exciting. As MC mentioned, they don't have the luxury of high-profile actor autographs to promote, which is typically a strong sales-driving factor.

You even said that collectors will be super-excited about the new base set and story - aren't those the folks supporting dealers?

This set looks to be LOADED with inserts, and I really like the idea of the Heritage parallels putting the new images on the classic stock. I can't wait to see the Patch and Medallion cards.
July 05, 2013, 12:40 PM
Martian Commander
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

The inserts don't mean much without a strong base set, especially in this case. The base set needs to be exciting. As MC mentioned, they don't have the luxury of high-profile actor autographs to promote, which is typically a strong sales-driving factor.

You even said that collectors will be super-excited about the new base set and story - aren't those the folks supporting dealers?

This set looks to be LOADED with inserts, and I really like the idea of the Heritage parallels putting the new images on the classic stock. I can't wait to see the Patch and Medallion cards.

Thanks, Ted! I'm sure your sketch cards will go a long way towards keeping fans excited too Wink

I'm sorry, Snoopy, if my comments had a negative effect on your opinion of the set. The truth is i'm just really psyched about what we're doing and I get a bit disappointed at times when people gloss over all the hard work we put into the base set just to get to their hits. That's all!

Hopefully this set will make fans, dealers and collectors alike very happy.
July 05, 2013, 12:57 PM
snoopy351
quote:
quote:

c'mon now ted you know as well as anyone that a base set (non-serial numbered) is not going to be a big selling point. heck, a galactic files set of 350 base - which requires multiple cases and tons of labor sorting - doesn't even bring $20.00. i am not saying i agree with this, simply that it's a fact. any base set that can be completed in one hobby box is nearly worthless in a matter of days. very sad state of affairs but also an accurate statement.

mars attacks doesn't need high-profile actors; it needs quality sketches and strong inserts. to use GF again as an example, the fact that some of those patches were SPs was key in making that insert set exciting. had they all been produced in equal numbers, it would have been boring for collectors to complete that subset. so i look forward to seeing the hits and the collectibility of the patches and medallion cards.
July 05, 2013, 01:07 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
quote:
quote:

c'mon now ted you know as well as anyone that a base set (non-serial numbered) is not going to be a big selling point. heck, a galactic files set of 350 base - which requires multiple cases and tons of labor sorting - doesn't even bring $20.00. i am not saying i agree with this, simply that it's a fact. any base set that can be completed in one hobby box is nearly worthless in a matter of days. very sad state of affairs but also an accurate statement.

mars attacks doesn't need high-profile actors; it needs quality sketches and strong inserts. to use GF again as an example, the fact that some of those patches were SPs was key in making that insert set exciting. had they all been produced in equal numbers, it would have been boring for collectors to complete that subset. so i look forward to seeing the hits and the collectibility of the patches and medallion cards.

My point was the base set is important to the inserts in this case. We're not talking about relying on a classic set from 50 years ago with a built-in audience. This is a whole new animal that can't rest on the original set's shoulders. What the base set is worth doesn't matter to my point - it's the content that is important.

I agree that most base sets don't hold up. I see many of them for $3 at shows in a matter of weeks. But it's not like this is a typical set like Star Wars. That will sell because the base set (meaning the source material) is already established.
July 05, 2013, 01:33 PM
snoopy351
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My point was the base set is important to the inserts in this case. We're not talking about relying on a classic set from 50 years ago with a built-in audience. This is a whole new animal that can't rest on the original set's shoulders. What the base set is worth doesn't matter to my point - it's the content that is important.

I agree that most base sets don't hold up. I see many of them for $3 at shows in a matter of weeks. But it's not like this is a typical set like Star Wars. That will sell because the base set (meaning the source material) is already established.

totally agree the base set will help drive the hits - no question - that is why i targeted this release - just wanted to be clear that the base set in and of itself, no matter how cool, ain't gonna sell. Cool
July 05, 2013, 06:54 PM
Martian Commander
This series has been 50+ years in the making; Topps has pondered sequels numerous times for the past 30 years or so, and there are those fans that will go crazy for this base set, to finally have a new Mars Attacks story.

Of course we realize that, sadly, hits drive the business. It's a mentality that's destroying the hobby, and killing creativity, but it's the reality we live in.

As such, there are plenty of valuable hits, whether it's autographs, patches, variants, medallions, sketches, printing plates, parallels...

We did our best to give these hits some inherent 'fun' value, meaning they'll be cool and fun to collect, rather than just inflating their secondary market worth by making them rare. That way, they'll hopefully be something people WANT to own rather than something completists feel OBLIGATED to collect.

If it works, 'Invasion' will appeal to casual fans, diehard collectors and rabid completists in equal measure.
July 05, 2013, 09:06 PM
chesspieceface
The 1990's Mars Attacks Archives offered a handsome reprinting of the original 55 cards (in regular and 1st Day parallel versions), the unpublished 11, New Visions by some of the best fantasy and comic artists of the day, and Matrix chase cards. It is very well remembered set, a thing of beauty with cards that have more than held their value against the original cost.
In fact, that base set probably went for about $10-$15 when those were new, which I suppose, made them a "failure" in the minds of some. Try and get one now for that.

Last year's Heritage added Len Brown autographs, 3-D cards, and sketches to the mix.
The jury's still out on the ultimate value of those, but c'mon, for $40 bucks the buyer got a base set, the easy chase sets, a couple of 3-D cards, some Green parallels, a Silver parallel, and a crack at a Len Brown autograph or a gold parallel. I hate to have to remind people, but that's what cards cost about 15 years ago with none of that extra stuff. And yet, there are plenty of detractors of Heritage to be found out there. I think we have to look at the quality and value of things beyond the question of "did I make any money on it?", and it's my feeling that most people who didn't like Heritage are doing exactly that.

"Invasion" is a new story with all-new art, and the patches and medallions-type cards that have been a big hit in other Topps non-sports (and sports) sets have found their way to Mars Attacks. The time has come for this, and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

My ultimate view of it as a "failure" or "success" will not be determined by whether a case breaker (which I often am) doubles his money, breaks even, or loses his shirt (and I have done all three). For those concerned about that, you should probably be looking for safer bets than cards anyway. It's a pretty dicey business.

July 05, 2013, 09:40 PM
Martian Commander
I wish this forum had a "like" button...
July 05, 2013, 10:02 PM
barobehere
I am in for a box or two just for the fun factor. This set looks great.
July 05, 2013, 10:06 PM
Batman
I am looking forward to this release all new Mars Attacks art is welcome and there are many hits which will make collectors happy. Too bad some always have to be negative but I will be buying at least a case! Smile

July 06, 2013, 06:16 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:
I wish this forum had a "like" button...

It has a ratings button for the thread but not for individual posts.