Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2017 Leaf Pop Century trading cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Leaf Pop Century trading cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So how come whenever I buy Pop Century I always pull the guy that was the 8th regular on that old TV show or the gal whose a Real Housewife? Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So how come whenever I buy Pop Century I always pull the guy that was the 8th regular on that old TV show or the gal whose a Real Housewife? Big Grin

I didn't say it was a good buy....no one ever announces the **** signers..... I've never bought one of these boxes...I have bought & resold some of the Good Hits.... #'d Val Kilmer & Rocky Horror come to mind.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I happen to like Pop Century and Americana and all those hodge-podge autograph sets. Its fun because of the variety of celebrities, has-beens and never-weres that are included in it.

And they do have some very big stars, if you are lucky. The same can be said of all card products, you have to be lucky.

Only the best and highest get advertised, that is also true of most products. That is why I am more interested in seeing the average card or average signer or average sketch, because that is what you are most likely to get.

It's not a question of being a good buy, no one can say that one way or the order. It's whether or not you understand the nature of the product. As long as you do, you can't complain.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You also have to admire the shelf life of some of those stickers shown above.

Wilder passed away in August 2016, but he was ill for a long while before that. Moore and Fisher died recently, yet Moore's signature shows little indication of his declining health, as most of his other autograph cards did.

Al Pacino is a surprise. I can't recall ever seeing one of his autographs that I would give you 10 cents for, yet in this photo it's almost readable. No idea when that was.

But the biggest surprise is Daisy Ridley, who has not signed her full name since the very first period when she was announced as getting the Star Wars role. Ever since she became known we have been blessed with the single Daisy autograph. Now the two stickers shown are not especially neat, but it is full signatures and that will translate to greater demand, even if they are not Star Wars cards.

But that is the appeal of the sticker autograph for card manufacturers. They don't have an expiration date and can turn up anywhere, anytime.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't believe they got Peter Capaldi to sign when Topps couldn't get him once for any of their Doctor Who sets. Confused

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I have never bought a box of the Leaf Pop Century but I have purchased single autos from it which are some of my favorites. Sometimes it is not the big names stars that I like but the bit players from a favorite film.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
It's great to see a certified autograph of Gene Wilder. I really hate that he passed away last year.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
There are interesting names : Nathan Fillion, Christopher Lloyd, Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts...

I like the concept "In Memoriam".

It's weird, for Peter Capaldi. Confused
Do you think he refused to Topps and accepted to Leaf Pop ?

Posts: 130 | Location: Bordeaux, France | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piperh33:
There are interesting names : Nathan Fillion, Christopher Lloyd, Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts...

I like the concept "In Memoriam".

It's weird, for Peter Capaldi. Confused
Do you think he refused to Topps and accepted to Leaf Pop ?

Who knows? Maybe he had more time and said, "Yes" or more money or maybe they were nicer.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Still not a big fan of sticker autos but I do quite like these Pop Century sets, they have given us some amazing names we would otherwise probably never have.

The James Gandolfini from Pop Century 2013 is one of my favourite auto cards I own. Forever on the lookout for a Daryl Hannah card (Kill Bill pic) and Al Pacino (Godfather pic). I still think it's unreal that AL PACINO has official autograph cards, no matter how unique/bad his signature is.

The only thing I don't like about these sets are the often hideous autograph card designs. I think the most common "base" autos usually look the best, and better than the garish colour parallels.

Julia Roberts seems a key name for this new set - strange she isn't pictured. And it is nice for collectors to have more chances to pick up cards from recently deceased stars (one good point about stickers I guess).

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
Excuse me, does anyone know the release date, please ?

Thanks. Smile

Posts: 130 | Location: Bordeaux, France | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
July 26 is the target date. Coincides with the National Sports Convention in Chicago.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piperh33
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
July 26 is the target date. Coincides with the National Sports Convention in Chicago.

Ed

Thank you. Smile