Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Women of Star Wars TOPPS 2020
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women of Star Wars TOPPS 2020
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
So I see this Women of Star Wars set just snuck out for an estimated March 25th release, which is kind of bad timing now. Each box guarantees one autograph, looks like stickers, but other hits including sketches are shown. The auto checklist is large and I don't know or want 90% of the signers, but some big names like Ridley, Fisher, Dern, Christie and Jones appear. Probably very limited on those stars.

The surprising news is that boxes are SRP at $54.99 and it seems to be ordering at under $50, which is unheard of for a premium title in what, the last 7 years or so? Maybe this is an acknowledgement of Star Wars saturation, or lesser hit content or this bad coronavirus period or all of the above. Pick your reason, but its at a lower cost and it might be a good choice for collectors so inclined.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
This was the price long before the virus, so I think it's a shift in thinking for Topps.

There are NO manufactured hits in this product. So no junk medallions or patches to add cost to it. Just autographs at 1 per box and approximately 2 sketches per case.

Timings still bad for a release, but honestly might be a fun break for someone stuck at home. As long as the Post/UPS keep delivering.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
This was the price long before the virus, so I think it's a shift in thinking for Topps.
Ed

I'm not a Star Wars fan and I never have much luck with the autographs I pull in SW boxes, so I didn't know the release date or price. There wasn't a thread here for it either.

I guess even TOPPS had to see that they have squeezed the title for all its worth and its time to drop the cost. The sticker autos really does make it easier when you don't have to expense for all signers, just new ones.

But timing now is very bad, although I hope this one does well. For other releases coming out in April and May, I'm not sure how the manufacturers don't delay them. The bulk buyers they rely on are going to have cash flow problems. Collectors are going to have cash flow problems. The spring shows have been postponed. Optimistically I don't see the hobby cranking up again before June. Frown

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the checklist I saw on Women of Star Wars although accurate, failed to adequately highlight that there are only 7 packs per box. The base set is 100 cards, so you need multiple boxes to complete. Few breaks anywhere yet, but the SRP is looking less like a good deal than I first thought. Frown

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Sorry, the checklist I saw on Women of Star Wars although accurate, failed to adequately highlight that there are only 7 packs per box. The base set is 100 cards, so you need multiple boxes to complete. Few breaks anywhere yet, but the SRP is looking less like a good deal than I first thought. Frown
agreed

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We were able to make a set with 4 boxes

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Breaks make it look like an average of 4 sets per 12-box case.

I guess it depends on how you look at value.

Price per HIT is down. Price per SET is up.

I approve of the harder to put together base set and fewer base sets in the open market. This has been the case with the Black and White sets (similar box format) and the sets actually sell for a fair price, not just sit.

Ed

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of andynova
posted Hide Post
On the Topps site, they are offering an oversized 5"x7" set of 20 cards from this set. Cost is $40 and numbered to 49:

https://www.topps.com/2020-wom...-20-cards-to-49.html

They also have larger posters of these 20 cards.

Posts: 106 | Location: West Chester, PA, USA | Registered: December 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it is a nothing new set. Topps has run to ground every possible title so now we get a gender set. Maybe next we can get the scruffy nerf herders and scoundrels set. Looks like just about everyone has signed plenty in the past. Not seeing Keri Russell on the autograph list doesn't inspire much hope.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Looks like just about everyone has signed plenty in the past.

There's a couple from Mandelorian. Smokin'

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
quote:
Looks like just about everyone has signed plenty in the past.

There's a couple from Mandelorian. Smokin'

Yeah there are a small few. The Gina Carano is almost new. I think she signed some for the Topps Now set. Plus she has some UFC cards out there.

I would have definitely preferred a full on Mandelorian release over this one. Pascal, Weathers, Nolte, Amy Sedaris, Clancy Brown, Bill Burr plus several first timers to the Star Wars universe Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah there are a small few. The Gina Carano is almost new. I think she signed some for the Topps Now set. Plus she has some UFC cards out there.

I would have definitely preferred a full on Mandelorian release over this one. Pascal, Weathers, Nolte, Amy Sedaris, Clancy Brown, Bill Burr plus several first timers to the Star Wars universe Cool

There will be a full-on Mandalorian Season 1 set in the fall, timed with the Season 2 airing on Disney+. Topps announced that at the retailer's conference.

Fair to say this is a filler set. But with a few new signers it's better than another High Tek IMHO.

For retread purposes, look for a replacement to the Galactic Files series this year. Their doing the Holocron Chronicles instead. I guess calling it something else is better than a 3rd rework of the line.

I think the virus will slow down releases this year whether we like it or not. Most hobby stores are not open, and people are low on discretionary funds. I still see Topps doing at least 6 sets this year.

Ed