Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join
 
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I have seen sets at $300 from at least one well known dealer and I still think that's too much.


Not sure if it is the same listing...

but the one I saw for $300 is just for the SMG Auto/Relic card and nothing else.

____________________
"When you are out numbered and the situation is hopeless, you have no option... You Must Attack!"
 
Posts: 1594 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I have seen sets at $300 from at least one well known dealer and I still think that's too much.


Not sure if it is the same listing...

but the one I saw for $300 is just for the SMG Auto/Relic card and nothing else.


No, this was for a sealed pack. It was not a listing but an e-mail from a dealer.
 
Posts: 2430 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I have seen sets at $300 from at least one well known dealer and I still think that's too much.


Not sure if it is the same listing...

but the one I saw for $300 is just for the SMG Auto/Relic card and nothing else.


No, this was for a sealed pack. It was not a listing but an e-mail from a dealer.


Okay... interesting to see all of the different prices dealers are selling sets and individual parts of the set for...

____________________
"When you are out numbered and the situation is hopeless, you have no option... You Must Attack!"
 
Posts: 1594 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen so far the signature on the Hannigan cards is a far cry from the one she used on the Inkworks card. I was a bit worried that the release of these would really hurt the value of the Inkworks one but now I doubt it will have too much of an effect.
 
Posts: 1956 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
None of these RA autograph cards will have any effect on the values of the original Inkwork autographs in this format. So far, only the Harrigan has been done before, and it was a short print. That Inkworks' card has earned its current market value based on the laws of supply and demand on the secondary market. Most of the supply is tucked away in collections that are not going anywhere soon.

These new Harrigan autographs, including the never before released SMG signatures, have a value predetermined by the manufacturer. The cost of the "sets" are not even fully supported by those autographs because it is the purpose of the incentive sketch cards to prop up the dealer orders.

As we have seen with Series 1, the SMG autographs are finding their market value only when they are in the wild and its well below the SRP for the "set" so far. I expect the Harrigan to follow suit and that we will soon be treated to all the pictures of the fantastic sketch cards up for sale now that they have been delivered to the dealers.

Wouldn't it have been wonderful if any regular Buffy collector had gotten a chance to pull one of those sketch beauties for themselves?
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Wouldn't it have been wonderful if any regular Buffy collector had gotten a chance to pull one of those sketch beauties for themselves?


Can you imagine if from the beginning they made Buffy a regular box/case release with all 3 Gellars, both Hannigans, all the sketches, plus the upcoming 3rd set signer? Plus all the other cast members they could probably easily get to sign. And have none of them be incentives. Wink It would be one of if not the best and most popular set Rittenhouse ever made. It's so disappointing that they didn't go that route. Like I stated previously, it must come down to them thinking or knowing they can make more money this way. Too bad though that a lot of fans/collectors miss out.
 
Posts: 1956 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The bottom line here is that Rittenhouse need to make money and the dealers they sell to need to make money. The collectors who actually want the cards come in a very poor third.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28042 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
A bunch of sketches just turned up including a Desbois Buffy...










 
Posts: 1956 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Amazing!
Even if the product distribution is less than ideal, at least the quality of the sketches is consistent!
 
Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Nice sketches so far...

Does anyone know how many sketches were released in total?

____________________
"When you are out numbered and the situation is hopeless, you have no option... You Must Attack!"
 
Posts: 1594 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Really love the Darla/vamped out one.
 
Posts: 5609 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
Here are some more of David Desbois' sketches from this series Eek ...










OVERSIZED...



OVERSIZED ARTIST PROOF...

 
Posts: 1956 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
A couple more joining the party...


 
Posts: 1956 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Are these all incentives, or are some artist proofs? Or artist returns? I get confused with the difference between proofs and returns, if there is one. Big Grin
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Are these all incentives, or are some artist proofs? Or artist returns? I get confused with the difference between proofs and returns, if there is one. Big Grin


The only one labeled specifically as an artist proof on David Desbois' deviantart page is the last oversized Willow shown above.

As far as the difference between returns and proofs here's what I found on another forum:

ARTIST PROOF (AP)

Artist Proofs are blanks given to the sketch artists to sell for themselves as part of their compensation for completing set work. In other words, they are official, licensed and affiliated with particular sets, but not inserted into packs or able to be pulled by collectors; only obtained from participating artists. Artists may either sell APs as commissions on the cards or complete the cards to sell finished, at their discretion, both pending licenser approval. Essentially, APs and ARs are both compensation and tend to be used interchangeably more and more often.

ARTIST RETURN (AR)

Artist Returns are cards completed alongside the set cards, but returned to the sketch artists to sell for themselves as part of their compensation for completing set work. In other words, they are official, licensed and affiliated with particular sets, but not inserted into packs or able to be pulled by collectors; only obtained from participating artists. They are always sold finished. Some Returns must be given back to the company with the set cards (hence Return) in order to be marked as such, and then are shipped back to the artist again. Some come to the artist already labeled as Returns and only require scans to be sent for licenser approval.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,
 
Posts: 1956 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Logan
posted Hide Post
This sketch of "The Judge" by Warren Martineck (who's not on the artist list on Rittenhouse's site, by the way) just sold for $725. Eek

 
Posts: 1956 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Mike James AR Sold for $1600

____________________
Today is a Good Day to Buy!
 
Posts: 689 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Are these all incentives, or are some artist proofs? Or artist returns? I get confused with the difference between proofs and returns, if there is one. Big Grin


The only one labeled specifically as an artist proof on David Desbois' deviantart page is the last oversized Willow shown above.

As far as the difference between returns and proofs here's what I found on another forum:

ARTIST PROOF (AP)

Artist Proofs are blanks given to the sketch artists to sell for themselves as part of their compensation for completing set work. In other words, they are official, licensed and affiliated with particular sets, but not inserted into packs or able to be pulled by collectors; only obtained from participating artists. Artists may either sell APs as commissions on the cards or complete the cards to sell finished, at their discretion, both pending licenser approval. Essentially, APs and ARs are both compensation and tend to be used interchangeably more and more often.

ARTIST RETURN (AR)

Artist Returns are cards completed alongside the set cards, but returned to the sketch artists to sell for themselves as part of their compensation for completing set work. In other words, they are official, licensed and affiliated with particular sets, but not inserted into packs or able to be pulled by collectors; only obtained from participating artists. They are always sold finished. Some Returns must be given back to the company with the set cards (hence Return) in order to be marked as such, and then are shipped back to the artist again. Some come to the artist already labeled as Returns and only require scans to be sent for licenser approval.


Thanks for reprinting that, artist proof and artist return do seem to be used interchangeably.

I knew about the artist return card part, it is submitted, approved and then sent back to the artist. Usually they are some of the best cards done by that artist. I also knew about handing out extra blanks, but did not know that completed blanks are what they are calling artist proofs.

Now the part I find interesting is this pending licenser approval, which seems to be a big hang up for some products. Artist returns have to be submitted first, so they must be approved, even though they never get into the product.

But if an artist proof is only a licensed blank that gets completed whenever, how can they ensure that it gets licenser approval? Why should it even be necessary to have that sketch approved if its basically just an official blank cardboard used for a commission maybe months later?

There are a lot of rules to these things and its all designed to get artists more money without really paying them. Maybe there should be less compensation and more money upfront. Big Grin
 
Posts: 7653 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
well, let's say AR on the Willow then:P. It kinda mean the same thing to me Smile

____________________
www.daviddeb.deviantart.com
 
Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There are a lot of rules to these things and its all designed to get artists more money without really paying them. Maybe there should be less compensation and more money upfront. Big Grin


But if they paid the artists the value up front that gets passed to the collector in box prices! At least this way artists can get some decent money and individuals can commission the character that they want (subject to approval )
 
Posts: 11742 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 73 
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.

© Non-Sport Update 2013