Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
The David Desbois Buffy & Angel sketch that was on eBay just sold for $1500. Before these were released I too was also wondering how much a Desbois Buffy (character) sketch would be worth. I know his sketches always go for top dollar so couple that with the rarity of these and the popularity of the character and I was thinking around $1500. As far as other artists who may have drawn Buffy, I have no idea what those would be worth. I'm not a sketch collector so I don't know what other artists' cards usually go for. David Desbois though is my favorite artist so if I was going to pay that kind of money it would only be for a sketch done by him.

David does some incredible work...

thanks guys, that's a lot of money
I wonder who's the buyer

You are welcome... Your work is Great and that is the Truth!

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
....and the David Desbois Faith sketch just sold also. It went for $600.

Given the quality of the sketch, the artist and the subject, I would consider that to be a reasonable price for the very best of them. Maybe a comparable Buffy sketch should fetch a little more, but I have to think that anyone going near 4 figures on any sketch is just overpaying.

Not trying to sound judgemental, if you have the money and you want to pay it that's fine. I was just talking in terms of how much you might expect one of these sketches to increase in value. Obviously when you are buying at a lower price there is more room to maybe grow.

So do you think the Buffy & Angel sketch for $1500 is overpriced?

David's work is always amazing, but I think because of the subject matter these shine just a bit more for me.

On a completely different note, how do you see best offers anymore? Ever since ebay changed their format I haven't been able to work that out.

Desbois' sketch cards are always outstanding and, without having a lot of these sketches yet, his work with both Buffy and Angel still has to be one of the very best ones done. This one did become an artist proof rather than going out through RA. Since it was sold for $1,500, that is what it was worth to the buyer.

I would only say that if I had my choice of the two, I would take his Faith sketch at $600 because it is also great and it has more room to appreciate in value since it is not at what I would perceive to be it's highest value. Someone else may feel the opposite and that's why it's art and it all depends on the beholder.

I'm not sure what you mean by not seeing Best Offers. The listing usually has a BIN if it's not a auction and it says if offers are accepted. They are probably setting minimum bids even if it is an auction. When I have entered offers in the past I don't think I ever knew the prices of any other offers made, just the number of pending ones. Maybe I don't understand what you are looking for.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by not seeing Best Offers. The listing usually has a BIN if it's not a auction and it says if offers are accepted. They are probably setting minimum bids even if it is an auction. When I have entered offers in the past I don't think I ever knew the prices of any other offers made, just the number of pending ones. Maybe I don't understand what you are looking for.

He means you can't see the actual accepted price the Best Offer sold for. Used to, you could hit the "Print" link and see it in the printer-friendly view of the auction page. Now you have to go through www.watchcount.com

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ctacker:
quote:

He means you can't see the actual accepted price the Best Offer sold for. Used to, you could hit the "Print" link and see it in the printer-friendly view of the auction page. Now you have to go through www.watchcount.com

Oh thanks, I don't think I ever tried to follow that, once my offer gets shot down I don't care what it went for. It's like, if I missed it by $5 I would only get mad. Wink

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

On a completely different note, how do you see best offers anymore? Ever since ebay changed their format I haven't been able to work that out.

I use a site called www.watchcount.com. You plug the eBay item # into the "Keywords" box, then click "Show Me What's Most Popular!". When the item is displayed go to where it says "Sold For" and click on "also check price here on eBay". It boots up the eBay page showing what best offer was accepted. I don't know if there's an easier way to do it anymore.

Ooh, Thank you so much Logan!

It drives me crazy that you can't see the best offer any more. This will be very helpful.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Desbois' sketch cards are always outstanding and, without having a lot of these sketches yet, his work with both Buffy and Angel still has to be one of the very best ones done. This one did become an artist proof rather than going out through RA. Since it was sold for $1,500, that is what it was worth to the buyer.

I would only say that if I had my choice of the two, I would take his Faith sketch at $600 because it is also great and it has more room to appreciate in value since it is not at what I would perceive to be it's highest value. Someone else may feel the opposite and that's why it's art and it all depends on the beholder.

Yeah I agree about the Faith sketch, there is still room to move in value with that one.

But the Bangel sketch that sold for $1500 on ebay was this one

not David's AP that he showed on FB, we don't know how much he sold that one for.
I think if I had that sort of money I'd rather this one than the top one for that price.

quote:

I use to use it alot for when I'm looking at cards I want to purchase, especially auctions.
I always look in the completed listings to see how much they are going for, but since they changed the layout of the pages not being able to see the best offers has really bugged me.
So that will be very helpful Logan, thank you again!

edit;
just thought I would add that the Darla Desbois sketch sold back on the 28th March for $750 as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Juelle Lou,

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
There is a way to look up prices of Best Offer listings on eBay. It sounds more complicated than it is.

1) Click on the listing from the search. WHen that page loads, click at the top. This should take you to the full listing.

2) Right click and view the page source. This will bring up all the HTML gobbldy gook.

3) Do a page search (usually Ctrl F) and look up the term binprice. The second instance has the final price next to it.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
A John Haun Sketch just came on the Bay...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
There is a way to look up prices of Best Offer listings on eBay. It sounds more complicated than it is.

1) Click on the listing from the search. WHen that page loads, click at the top. This should take you to the full listing.

2) Right click and view the page source. This will bring up all the HTML gobbldy gook.

3) Do a page search (usually Ctrl F) and look up the term binprice. The second instance has the final price next to it.

Wow Ryan, that is really clever way to find out, I just tried it and it is very simple.
I'm going to have to copy paste that info, thank you for the share!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah I agree about the Faith sketch, there is still room to move in value with that one.

But the Bangel sketch that sold for $1500 on ebay was this one

not David's AP that he showed on FB, we don't know how much he sold that one for.
I think if I had that sort of money I'd rather this one than the top one for that price.

quote:

I use to use it alot for when I'm looking at cards I want to purchase, especially auctions.
I always look in the completed listings to see how much they are going for, but since they changed the layout of the pages not being able to see the best offers has really bugged me.
So that will be very helpful Logan, thank you again!

edit;
just thought I would add that the Darla Desbois sketch sold back on the 28th March for $750 as well.

I wonder what a Sketch card just featuring Buffy would be worth?

I would think that a Sketch card of just Buffy would be pretty high.

David does great work and would / should command high prices for his sketch cards...

but I think a Sketch card of just Buffy would be up there no matter who the artist is.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think a Sketch card of just Buffy would be up there no matter who the artist is.

I agree, anything with Buffy on it is going to go for the premium price.
The Buffy sketch listing by Kristen Allen had ended when I got up this morning, so I'm thinking it must have sold off of feebay (good for them).
So we won't know how much that sold for to give us an idea of how much a sketch of just Buffy is going to cost.

And, I just picked up my two SMG autos this afternoon!!
Happy dance for me Smile Elephant Clap Elephant

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
These two just popped up for sale.
Kristin Allen

David Desbois

I LOVE this one!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
These two just popped up for sale.
Kristin Allen

David Desbois

I LOVE this one!

Nice... David has some Great Sketch Cards from this set and so does Kristin... two of my favorite artists on this project.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I think a Sketch card of just Buffy would be up there no matter who the artist is.

I agree, anything with Buffy on it is going to go for the premium price.
The Buffy sketch listing by Kristen Allen had ended when I got up this morning, so I'm thinking it must have sold off of feebay (good for them).
So we won't know how much that sold for to give us an idea of how much a sketch of just Buffy is going to cost.

And, I just picked up my two SMG autos this afternoon!!
Happy dance for me Smile Elephant Clap Elephant

Congrats on getting your SMG autos... I got mine last week.

with the Bay fees, Pa-Pa fees and Shipping, it adds up when selling a high priced item on the Bay.

Basically the Sketch cards are pure profit for the dealers that were able to get them anyway.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
....and the David Desbois Faith sketch just sold also. It went for $600.

Given the quality of the sketch, the artist and the subject, I would consider that to be a reasonable price for the very best of them. Maybe a comparable Buffy sketch should fetch a little more, but I have to think that anyone going near 4 figures on any sketch is just overpaying.

Not trying to sound judgemental, if you have the money and you want to pay it that's fine. I was just talking in terms of how much you might expect one of these sketches to increase in value. Obviously when you are buying at a lower price there is more room to maybe grow.

I understand your point... If you can get a a sketch card or any card at a low price, it is much better.

I believe a Spike Sketch Card by Tim Shay sold for $375... not a bad deal at all.

But I would think a lot of collectors do not collect because they are hoping their cards increase in value... they collect for the love and excitement of the hobby.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh yes. Because of the way these sketches got distributed nearly all of them wound up in the hands of dealers, so you can expect that they are getting sold to collectors either on eBay or to private customers.

I have a feeling that the really nice ones of main characters might not be leaving those first buyers for a long time. Ones that were sold for lower prices or were on the more minor characters may change hands if the price is right. Apart from the dealers themselves, it seems to me that it is just as hard for a speculator to get a good sketch at a good price as it is for a collector.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh yes. Because of the way these sketches got distributed nearly all of them wound up in the hands of dealers, so you can expect that they are getting sold to collectors either on eBay or to private customers.

I have a feeling that the really nice ones of main characters might not be leaving those first buyers for a long time. Ones that were sold for lower prices or were on the more minor characters may change hands if the price is right. Apart from the dealers themselves, it seems to me that it is just as hard for a speculator to get a good sketch at a good price as it is for a collector.

I agree... the minor characters will most likely change hands at time or two.

And there might be a lot of collectors who received sketch cards wont sell them or even post them anywhere... So we wont ever see them or they will never be sold.

I know someone who bought two Sketch Incentives and one of the sketches was a sketch of just Buffy and he traded it to someone.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree... the minor characters will most likely change hands at time or two.

So who does everyone class as minor characters?
Surely not the scooby gang, the monsters I would but I can't imagine even Darla or Faith being classed as minor characters. Especially because those two were fairly major characters in Angel, which I still class as being part of the Buffy universe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Juelle Lou,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:

Thanks for that, Ryan, and here's another way in case that way ever stops working:

Paste this into your address line along with the actual item number where I've written ITEMNUMBER, and that'll also do the trick

http://item.ebay.co.uk/ITEMNUMBER

(Remember to replace "ITEMNUMBER" with an actual number which'll look something like this: 161508936425)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Thanks for that, Ryan, and here's another way in case that way ever stops working:

Paste this into your address line along with the actual item number where I've written ITEMNUMBER, and that'll also do the trick

http://item.ebay.co.uk/ITEMNUMBER

(Remember to replace "ITEMNUMBER" with an actual number which'll look something like this: 161508936425)

Thanks Chesspieceface, another clever way.

How do you guys find these little tricks? they're so helpful.