Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Takes some skill to copy fairly accurately, Takes even more skill and talent to use the medium you use to recreate the ref pic, takes even more talent to use colors and composition not on the ref pics. That would be Desbois. lol

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI the only time artists will post ref pics whether they be photos or screengrabs to show where another artist got his stuff is when they are calling out swipers. So kinda weird to see ref pics posted to make the art look good. It's unheard of in comics and sketch cards… to acknowledge ref in a good way…. Lol.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:
Just an FYI the only time artists will post ref pics whether they be photos or screengrabs to show where another artist got his stuff is when they are calling out swipers. So kinda weird to see ref pics posted to make the art look good. It's unheard of in comics and sketch cards… to acknowledge ref in a good way…. Lol.

I am not an Artist... lol

To me Swiping would be when someone intentionally copies a comic or artwork without crediting the original artist.

Official Sketches from a Show are artwork relating to certain characters and scenes that an artist would need to use Real Pics from the show to complete their sketches.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Takes some skill to copy fairly accurately, Takes even more skill and talent to use the medium you use to recreate the ref pic, takes even more talent to use colors and composition not on the ref pics. That would be Desbois. lol

Every artist is Different in their style... lol

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:

The word Style is the excuse bad artists use to explain their lack of skill and talent. The word style should be replaced with influence(s)because we are just a sum of all our influences. Only true artist with style was the cave man. lol Hahahahaah . Smile
Gonna name drop ere, I was at a comic signing by Jim lee and his Wildstorm crew many moons ago. I said something about his style and he told me, "What people call style is all the consistent mistakes we OCD artists keep making while we try to emulate our influences. Most people screw up and call it style, it's just consistent mistake." lol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Justice41,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The word Style is the excuse bad artists use to explain their lack of skill and talent. The word style should be replaced with influence(s)because we are just a sum of all our influences. Only true artist with style was the cave man. lol Hahahahaah . Smile

I get ya about Style... Influence would be a better term to use.

posted Hide Post
My Jim Lee influenced art:

My Adam Hughes Influenced art:

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Justice41:
My Jim Lee influenced art:

The Wolverine Sketch is Sweet... Thumb Up

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I missed the Hardy Sketch........

got busy & forgot about it.....

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I am saying I can basically find every "Real" picture and their Sketch Card Counterpart from this set...

If you are doing a Sketch for a Show and of certain characters, then you are going to need a Starting point...

So then you could say every Sketch Card is a "Copy".

I do not feel they are copies at all...

Although I watched all the Buffy episodes, I didn't realize that those sketches were copies until you started posting comparisons to the ref photos.

I would split the difference in this discussion. It is an Art to Copy. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to find behind the scenes stuff or use screen caps from the making of shows to do some of my cards so people may never know where I got them even if the stuffs been out there forever. I'll use the same actor from other movies or TV shows with small additions like hair and costume to make all original works. Sometimes it's just a models body with an actors face.
Take fur instance the Fett and Leia on this is actually other stuff. I used a Special Forces guy pic and just added the costume for Fett. Leia is a nude model with small ***** and Carrie Fishers head and head piece with the costume added.So finding the ref would be impossible. it only exists in my photoshop file.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
All I am saying I can basically find every "Real" picture and their Sketch Card Counterpart from this set...

If you are doing a Sketch for a Show and of certain characters, then you are going to need a Starting point...

Although I watched all the Buffy episodes, I didn't realize that those sketches were copies until you started posting comparisons to the ref photos.

I was discussing that the Sketches are great and they look great compared to the real inspirations... Nothing more, Nothing less.

I Do Not believe they are "copies" or anything close to that.

Another member stated that when you compare the real pic with the sketch, then it looks like the artist copied.

My point was that when Sketches come from a popular show, the majority of the people know what each sketch is about or where it is from...

And I Feel that when Official Sketches from a show relating to certain characters and scenes are produced that an artist would need to use Real Pics from the show to complete their sketches.

I want a Sketch that looks like the Character it is of...

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
I try to find behind the scenes stuff or use screen caps from the making of shows to do some of my cards so people may never know where I got them even if the stuffs been out there forever. I'll use the same actor from other movies or TV shows with small additions like hair and costume to make all original works. Sometimes it's just a models body with an actors face.
Take fur instance the Fett and Leia on this is actually other stuff. I used a Special Forces guy pic and just added the costume for Fett. Leia is a nude model with small ***** and Carrie Fishers head and head piece with the costume added.So finding the ref would be impossible. it only exists in my photoshop file.

It looks great...

is this a Finished Sketch or will you add color or anything else to it?

I kind of like it the way it is now.

posted Hide Post
this scan looks better than the pencils as the pencils are hardly visible. I use a 3h lead which is a harder lead and much lighter than say a number 2. This way I can paint over them and hopefully the pencils are covered up and yes it's already being painted.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
this scan looks better than the pencils as the pencils are hardly visible. i se a 3h lead which is a harder lead and much lighter than say a number 2. This way i can paint over them and hopefully the pencils are covered up and yes it's already being painted.

Nice... Thumb Up

Picture of SamIAm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm:
About sketches art and copies, in the days of Mona Lisa the Artist would hire a model or friend to sit still and do the portrait it could take days!
Well I guess they had no cameras or photos to work with!
Anyway calling any Artists work a copy is a little unfair and I challenge anyone wth an unskilled hand to post a piece of thier work from a photo they have done and provide a side by side comparison and show us the outcome!
Covers Willow on ebay is amazing and the subtle changes to detail from that picture provided by MarkG shows us how a skilled hand can actually improve on the real thing and in my opinion express even more character and charm than the photo itself and his vibrant choice of palettes are amazing!
Yes they are all amazing Artists but the Willow piece is my favourite sketch from Buffy and is drop dead gorgeous!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SamIAm,

Posts: 35 | Location: Australia | Registered: April 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was discussing that the Sketches are great and they look great compared to the real inspirations... Nothing more, Nothing less.

Another member stated that when you compare the real pic with the sketch, then it looks like the artist copied.

My point was that when Sketches come from a popular show, the majority of the people know what each sketch is about or where it is from...

And I Feel that when Official Sketches from a show relating to certain characters and scenes are produced that an artist would need to use Real Pics from the show to complete their sketches.

So you don't like the word "copy" because you are attaching a negative meaning to it in this case. I am not. I just consider it a description because photo re-enactment is probably not a term that can be used. Big Grin

It is not at all uncommon for an artist to be given a photo and asked to turn it into an oil painting or drawing of someone or something. The artist is coping the photo into another medium and it is darn hard to have the skill to do that well. Another way of doing it would be to have a live model and that I would not call a copy. They are too distinct things and neither is better than the other.

Now a third option is to take someone's photo and use it to create a totally different picture, but draw on the object or person in the photo for the resemblance. Some might call this a more creative approach, but in terms of quality I would again say it is no better or worse than the other two.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
About sketches art and copies, in the days of Mona Lisa the Artist would hire a model or friend to sit still and do the portrait it could take days!
Well I guess they had no cameras or photos to work with!
Anyway calling any Artists work a copy is a little unfair and I challenge anyone wth an unskilled hand to post a piece of thier work from a photo they have done and provide a side by side comparison and show us the outcome!
Covers Willow on ebay is amazing and the subtle changes to detail from that picture provided by MarkG shows us how a skilled hand can actually improve on the real thing and in my opinion express even more character and charm than the photo itself and his vibrant choice of palettes are amazing!
Yes they are all amazing Artists but the Willow piece is my favourite sketch from Buffy and is drop dead gorgeous!

That is what I was trying to say all along...

I think that the Sketches are Amazing and the artists are Amazing!!!

And all I was doing was comparing them to the "real" image and showing how Amazing the artists are and how great their Sketches are...

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So you don't like the word "copy" because you are attaching a negative meaning to it in this case. I am not. I just consider it a description because photo re-enactment is probably not a term that can be used. Big Grin

It is not at all uncommon for an artist to be given a photo and asked to turn it into an oil painting or drawing of someone or something. The artist is coping the photo into another medium and it is darn hard to have the skill to do that well. Another way of doing it would be to have a live model and that I would not call a copy. They are too distinct things and neither is better than the other.

Now a third option is to take someone's photo and use it to create a totally different picture, but draw on the object or person in the photo for the resemblance. Some might call this a more creative approach, but in terms of quality I would again say it is no better or worse than the other two.

Again, I never said they were copies...

I posted a picture and the sketch card next to it showing how incredible the artwork is and the amazing the artist is.

Someone eles stated it was a "copy"

In the previous post the you quoted me, I stated:

"So then you could say every Sketch Card is a "Copy"."

I was making this statement to the person I was responding to... because they called one of the sketches a "Copy".

I think the Sketches are great and they look great compared to the real inspirations...

Nothing more, Nothing less.

I feel the artists are incredible, that they can take an image and make it into a Sketch card and to make it look Incredible is very Amazing to me.

Picture of SamIAm
posted Hide Post
quote:
MarkG I was not in anyway referring to any of your comments about copies you explain your opinions on that subject rather well.

I enjoy your posts and what you add to the discussion in pictures or words on this forum!

Posts: 35 | Location: Australia | Registered: April 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post