Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
There is sketches from all major characters on my part including Buffy and Angel. Didn't do any monsters/non-humans.

David...

I saw some of the Sketch cards you did for Buffy and they look Amazing!

Great Work!!! Thumb Up

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Good insight X and Juelle Lou, you are certainly asking the right questions. I don't think any of us know even half of this story, so it's all just speculation. On the face of it, RA blew it and lost a lot of money on some fantastic sketches that they didn't have to give away to dealers.

I think they got burned in the sketch approval process, which they should have had worked out before any artist even started working. Instead of being able to use 400 sketches, they had only around 100 ready to release. Maybe the set was supposed to have cost more with an autograph and sketch in each one. Maybe they lost confidence that a product with the SMG autograph and a sketch in every 4th set would sell out. Maybe they should have pushed back the release date and posted some of these sketches like Breygent always does pre-release.

What no one knows about is another Buffy product. Are all her autographs in this one? Are all the approved sketches in this one? Could RA really have made what seems like this many mistakes with a product that had success written all over it from the moment SMG agreed to sign? TBD as they say.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
its just a shame when companies get a license and then the studio and/or actors don't cooperate

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not holding my breath for another set at this point. When someone on the RA boards recently asked Steve about the chances of Rittenhouse doing a complete master set of Buffy autographs in the same two designs that were used for the SMG autograph here was his response:

"I think you are in the minority on this. I've not heard anyone else say they want more autograph cards of the same actors who previously signed for Inkworks, except perhaps in the case of the very few top stars."

So I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if more Buffy sets are made, they're not going to be made in the way I would like and they probably would not interest me all that much. I would not be a collector of Buffy animated, comic, etc. if that's the direction they'd think about going. The one thing I do hope, since it appears for some reason Rittenhouse is so against repeat signers for Buffy, is that they do not get SMG to sign any more cards. Considering the amount we are paying for these, it makes no sense whatsoever to devalue them by getting her to sign again and again, while also saying "We won't do repeat signers from Inkworks cards". I would prefer them just put Buffy to bed right now then. That's just my two cents.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
... And something else I've been pondering lately ... do you think there is there any chance that the main reason for Rittenhouse staying away from anything Inkworks has done with Buffy and not trying to redo it or outdo it is purely out of respect for Allan Caplan?

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I'm not holding my breath for another set at this point. When someone on the RA boards recently asked Steve about the chances of Rittenhouse doing a complete master set of Buffy autographs in the same two designs that were used for the SMG autograph here was his response:

"I think you are in the minority on this. I've not heard anyone else say they want more autograph cards of the same actors who previously signed for Inkworks, except perhaps in the case of the very few top stars."

So I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if more Buffy sets are made, they're not going to be made in the way I would like and they probably would not interest me all that much. I would not be a collector of Buffy animated, comic, etc. if that's the direction they'd think about going. The one thing I do hope, since it appears for some reason Rittenhouse is so against repeat signers for Buffy, is that they do not get SMG to sign any more cards. Considering the amount we are paying for these, it makes no sense whatsoever to devalue them by getting her to sign again and again, while also saying "We won't do repeat signers from Inkworks cards". I would prefer them just put Buffy to bed right now then. That's just my two cents.

I agree that this should be the last Buffy set...

I do not think that they could do anymore with Buffy.

SMG finally signed for an official Buffy Set and there is not much left to do.

Inkworks did a lot with Buffy and RA is saying that they do not want to repeat anything Inkworks did... What is left???

The Buffy Comics?

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
... And something else I've been pondering lately ... do you think there is there any chance that the main reason for Rittenhouse staying away from anything Inkworks has done with Buffy and not trying to redo it or outdo it is purely out of respect for Allan Caplan?

No!

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
After reading peoples comments it got has me thinking.

My question is.
How much were they going to charge when there was going to be a sketch in every pack? More? The same?
If it their price was always going to be $400 retail, I think those sketches should have been pack inserted into every 4th pack, at least then everyone who bought a set would have had at least a chance at getting one.
And if dealers still wanted to sell the sketches, well all they would have had to do is what some are now doing on feebay, splitting the sets up and selling everything separately.

The problem with the Sketch cards is they were only able to get 100 approved, according to what people have been saying and there are a total of 400 SMG Autos, 200 of each version.

So basically the Math did not add up for RA and they had to release the cards this way.

I think they were planning to release one auto now and the other auto later... but the set plans were messed up when they had no additional signers and then the whole sketch card approval fiasco.

But, I am still not sure why the would give the dealers free sketch cards that RA must of known would sell for crazy amounts and not give collectors or true fans of the show a chance at the sketch cards?

There has to be some type of benefit that RA and the Dealers are getting from this deal...

Obviously, the dealers did not need an incentive to buy multiple Sets...

Since everyone was very excited when they heard that SMG was signing an official Buffy Card, they knew the set was going to sell out quickly.

The dealers are going to make money off the Buffy Autos alone... majority of the dealers were selling them for over $400.

And so no one gets mad at me... I do not blame the dealers for charging the high prices for the sketch cards... They are rare and they just were released. The dealers are just trying to make as much off them as possible...

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
When someone on the RA boards recently asked Steve about the chances of Rittenhouse doing a complete master set of Buffy autographs in the same two designs that were used for the SMG autograph here was his response:

Yeah, to me it seems like they really don't want to do repeat signers and saying
is an excuse for that because it seems to me like alot of people would like to see RA do a full set of autos in their style.
So I agree, I really hope they dont't do anything more if they aren't going to do autos.

quote:

That maybe makes sense too, as they don't seem to have a problem with doing double and triple and quadruple of some actors autographs for their other licenses, but they don't want to do that for Buffy.
Seems a bit strange and hypocritical to me.

Maybe when they first got the license, they did approach all the main cast to see if they would sign, and most declined.
So then maybe that is why they started talking no signers from the Inkworks sets, because they knew that we would want those main cast autos, and would have probably been pretty vocal in our disappointment about them not being included.

But we're never going to know.

I'm so very happy to have the SMG auto, my Inkworks set will be complete now.
But the way they handled the sketches has left me feeling a bit meh towards them.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Oh and there is another stunning Desbois sketch up

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

No!

Let me second that, absolutely NO!

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
quote:

No!

May I ask why both of you say no?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No!

The reason that popped into my head is, as Juelle Lou stated above, Rittenhouse seems to have no problem getting the same Star Trek or James Bond actors to sign over and over and over again. Why a different stance with Buffy? It's not like the demand isn't there. I was just trying to think of a reason that made more sense to me.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It seems like all you had to do to get your sketches approved for this series was paint masterpieces. No problem for Mr. Desbois. That "Faith" is a knockout!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wish Rittenhouse would post a collection of sketches from each artist.
Would be nice to see what everyone has completed for this set.

Now that the set is finally out, are the artists allowed to release/show what they did for the set?

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:
I wish Rittenhouse would post a collection of sketches from each artist.
Would be nice to see what everyone has completed for this set.

Now that the set is finally out, are the artists allowed to release/show what they did for the set?

I agree, I would love to see a list of all the approved sketches.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No!

May I ask why both of you say no?

I don't want to rehash old history, but the sudden demise of Inkworks had a highly negative effect on some people in the hobby. It's a complicated story that ended in a mixed legacy. I have not heard Caplan's name mentioned in a long time and if he ever returned to trading cards in any way I don't know about it.

In any event, I would doubt that any card manufacturer in 2015 would shy away from making money on a title just out of respect for a company that closed up in 2009 and I'll leave it at that.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
It seems like all you had to do to get your sketches approved for this series was paint masterpieces. No problem for Mr. Desbois. That "Faith" is a knockout!

His Buffy Sketch Cards look amazing...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Tim Shay has posted a few on his Facebook page.
Amazing work!

https://www.facebook.com/pages...-Art/129818253735791

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So which autograph version do you prefer? Originally when I first saw pics of both designs I preferred the bordered but after having them in hand I have done a complete 180. I now strongly prefer the full bleed.