Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
The Cordelia Sketch is now at $945 with 2 Days and 3 Hours left...

Inching closer to $1000.

I think it might reach there, even go past it maybe.

Is it just me or are the sketches starting to go for more money than when they were in the first week?
It's not as if there are less available, they just seem to me to be selling for more.

It seems that way...

I think when they first were out on the bay, the prices were really high and people were interested but weren't willing to thrown down that much for them yet.

But I guess they started realizing how rare each sketch card was and some could be buying for resale in the near future or they figure this is their only chance to get a rare 1/1 sketch from the Buffy set and they are starting to sell a bit more.

And there are still a few sketch cards that have not been seen yet...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Inching closer to $1000.

Is it just me or are the sketches starting to go for more money than when they were in the first week?
It's not as if there are less available, they just seem to me to be selling for more.

It seems that way...

I think when they first were out on the bay, the prices were really high and people were interested but weren't willing to thrown down that much for them yet.

But I guess they started realizing how rare each sketch card was and some could be buying for resale in the near future or they figure this is their only chance to get a rare 1/1 sketch from the Buffy set and they are starting to sell a bit more.

But there couldn't possibly much resale value in a card that sells for over $1500 surely? Possibly the few with Buffy on it that sold might go for more down the track.

Maybe those that sold for under say $700 might be able to do that. It will be interesting to see if any ever go for 2 grand, the Rhiannon Owens Dark Willow was awfully close to that mark. Eek

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Inching closer to $1000.

It seems that way...

But there couldn't possibly much resale value in a card that sells for over $1500 surely? Possibly the few with Buffy on it that sold might go for more down the track.

Maybe those that sold for under say $700 might be able to do that. It will be interesting to see if any ever go for 2 grand, the Rhiannon Owens Dark Willow was awfully close to that mark. Eek

I agree with you... I did not mean the $1500 one or the $1875 one. But I think the ones that sold for $600 and lower might be a good chance to make more money later on...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cordelia sketch is up to $1,005. Eek

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

Wow, it will be interesting what the sketch ends up going for.
Considering the Dark Willow sketch went for $1800+, this one might fetch close to $1200 or more possibly.

Apart from the GoT sketches do any other sets with sketches go for this sort of money?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

WoW! Eek

Out of the 2 Cordelia Sketches that have been found... They are both nice but I like the Tim Shay Sketch.

But that one has not gone on the Bay and might never.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apart from the GoT sketches do any other sets with sketches go for this sort of money?

Being only a marginal sketch collector at best, I just did a quick search on that site under sketch card in trading cards. There were 16,209 listings a few minutes ago. Sorting by highest price, besides groups, Star Wars Masterworks has a few asking over $1,000 and I saw a GOT and a few of the Buffy sketches that have been posted.

With SW Masterworks, which is a premium product, there were obviously some gems done by at least a couple of the same artists that contributed to Buffy. Unlike Buffy, while that high quality was evident, it was not consistent throughout the product. In other words you had a range of sketches and there were some that really could not be called Masterworks.

GOT sketches were beautiful, but they were very rare in a traditional box product and that alone made them expensive. The problem was that only generic objects could be drawn, so you got landscapes, dragon eggs, dragons, a horse I think. I loved the White Walker and the three baby dragons, but that was as close to a character that I saw.

So I guess I'd have to say . . . Yes there are other sets with sketches costing this much.

However in terms of having a set that includes sketches with character/actor likenesses and then also having the highest quality in every sketch produced over the full run assumed to be somewhere a little over 100 sketches, well if there is another product like that I haven't seen it.

Now Grimm has some nice work, as does The Walking Dead. Some of them can get pricey, but not this kind of pricey. And Bettie Page had some great stuff, but again there was a range of quality.

When you take a good look at a fraction of those 16,209 sketch listings it really is surprising what you see, especially if you factor in ACEOs. There is some incredible work that is going for peanuts, while other lesser items, for various reasons, are valued considerably higher. Art is a tough business.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
The other thing to keep in mind is market saturation. If you go back several years (and thousands of sketches) ago, both Star Wars and LOTR had several sketches that would shoot past the $1k mark. These are the very first (and possibly the last) official sketch cards for a long & sustained collector base. If Harry Potter was ever done with sketches, you would likely see big money on a number of cards as well.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anyone would touch Harry Potter again as long as the series remains over. Artbox really did a great job while it had the license in terms of putting everything into it other than sketches.

But could you imagine Bond or Trek sketches with character likenesses. Won't happen because of all these hurdles, but collectors would love them.

Did you say market saturation? This market is floating out to sea, which is why you have 16,209 listings of both underrated and overrated work, depending on how you look at it. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Actually, Star Trek Aliens had sketches with likeness (for a limited group of actors) just last year and while they were more plentiful (1 per case), they went for some serious money as well. It is the newness factor, for those who have not had literally tens of thousands of sketches done for their collecting love, that is driving the prices on these.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
Actually, Star Trek Aliens had sketches with likeness (for a limited group of actors) just last year and while they were more plentiful (1 per case), they went for some serious money as well. It is the newness factor, for those who have not had literally tens of thousands of sketches done for their collecting love, that is driving the prices on these.

I actually pulled a sketch card from Mr. Cover in a recent Trek set, have to look if it was that one. It was a drawing of the ship, not a character. We posted it in one of the other threads. I haven't been following the sketches so I didn't know they did any likenesses, but I'm not surprised that you say they are selling well if they are any good.

Interesting that you consider them plentiful at 1 per case. I know it's your business to buy in bulk, but that is very limited to someone like me. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other thing to keep in mind is market saturation. If you go back several years (and thousands of sketches) ago, both Star Wars and LOTR had several sketches that would shoot past the $1k mark. These are the very first (and possibly the last) official sketch cards for a long & sustained collector base. If Harry Potter was ever done with sketches, you would likely see big money on a number of cards as well.

I agree...

These sketch cards could be the first and last for Buffy.

There are a lot of Buffy Collectors and the fact that there are only 100 sketch cards available and all of the sketches seen so far are all top quality... I think those factors are making the sketch card prices rise for the most part.

I guess we will have to wait to see the if the rest of the sketches sell on the Bay and for how much.

Plus there are a some sealed sketches out there still and a lot of the sketches that have been found were not put up for sale as of yet and they might never be sold.

Also, we have only seen two RA sealed sketches of Just Buffy.

One Buffy Sketch was on the Bay, no longer for sale and the other was in a private collection that the person who owned it traded it away.

And the card featuring Buffy and Angel by Desbois sold for $1500 on the Bay.

So I would assume that the Sketches of just Buffy would be pretty pricey.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Being only a marginal sketch collector at best, I just did a quick search on that site under sketch card in trading cards. There were 16,209 listings a few minutes ago. Sorting by highest price, besides groups, Star Wars Masterworks has a few asking over $1,000 and I saw a GOT and a few of the Buffy sketches that have been posted.

With SW Masterworks, which is a premium product, there were obviously some gems done by at least a couple of the same artists that contributed to Buffy. Unlike Buffy, while that high quality was evident, it was not consistent throughout the product. In other words you had a range of sketches and there were some that really could not be called Masterworks.

GOT sketches were beautiful, but they were very rare in a traditional box product and that alone made them expensive. The problem was that only generic objects could be drawn, so you got landscapes, dragon eggs, dragons, a horse I think. I loved the White Walker and the three baby dragons, but that was as close to a character that I saw.

So I guess I'd have to say . . . Yes there are other sets with sketches costing this much.

However in terms of having a set that includes sketches with character/actor likenesses and then also having the highest quality in every sketch produced over the full run assumed to be somewhere a little over 100 sketches, well if there is another product like that I haven't seen it.

Now Grimm has some nice work, as does The Walking Dead. Some of them can get pricey, but not this kind of pricey. And Bettie Page had some great stuff, but again there was a range of quality.

When you take a good look at a fraction of those 16,209 sketch listings it really is surprising what you see, especially if you factor in ACEOs. There is some incredible work that is going for peanuts, while other lesser items, for various reasons, are valued considerably higher. Art is a tough business.

Thank you Raven for the answer, I didn't know if it was to do with how few sketches there are available, the quality or because of the subject matter, so that was extremely helpful.

quote:
It is the newness factor, for those who have not had literally tens of thousands of sketches done for their collecting love, that is driving the prices on these.

This makes sense, especially for me as it is really one of my first exposures to a set that includes sketches.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I actually pulled a sketch card from Mr. Cover in a recent Trek set, have to look if it was that one. It was a drawing of the ship, not a character. We posted it in one of the other threads. I haven't been following the sketches so I didn't know they did any likenesses, but I'm not surprised that you say they are selling well if they are any good.

Interesting that you consider them plentiful at 1 per case. I know it's your business to buy in bulk, but that is very limited to someone like me. Wink

More plentiful in relation to the Buffy set. There should be in the neighborhood of 700 or so sketches for Star Trek Aliens vs the 100 for Buffy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if anyone would touch Harry Potter again as long as the series remains over. Artbox really did a great job while it had the license in terms of putting everything into it other than sketches.

But could you imagine Bond or Trek sketches with character likenesses. Won't happen because of all these hurdles, but collectors would love them.

Did you say market saturation? This market is floating out to sea, which is why you have 16,209 listings of both underrated and overrated work, depending on how you look at it. Wink

We did Likenesses in Star Trek

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda liked doing the exteriors and interiors on the GOT set.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Those sketches are outstanding Mr. Cover. The one with the 3 chained baby dragons is the one I mentioned that I loved and I saw the one with the single dragon. I had not seen the flying one, which is great with the fire. A couple of the exterior scenes have also been posted on Card Talk.

I imagine that the fine detail that has to go into the interior and exterior scenes might be even harder to do than character likenesses. Some artists seem to be better at one or the other and they stick to whichever they are best at. I think you referred to that as playing it safe and I can see where you don't do that. Great stuff. Smile

posted Hide Post
Since I was 21 I have drawn professionally doing Architectural Renderings, Houses communities commercial buildings all kinds of stuff, so have to know how to do the tiny details as well as the colors and the likenesses. It's all part of the gig. At the time I did GOT I had never watched a single minute of the show so I screwed up. Not knowing who and what I did inadvertently add main characters to a few cards which were tossed. Some nice ones too. They all reside here if anyone wants to see all the cards.

https://www.facebook.com/media...7797268233693&type=3

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
It would have been nice to have seen some themed cards like these I commissioned from Sean Pence 5 years ago...

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Hello, I am the one who Sold the Owens Dark Willow. I have sold 7 Buffy Sketches so far. One of those was bought from on Dealer & resold to a collector (ANYA by Tim Shay). I know this set will do VERY WELL in the Long Run... I've even bought Buffy Autos pretty much at what they are selling for... I have made a few Deals for Buffy ARs.... Those will be Pretty High.

The 1st thing that you need to know is everyone has the basic Math Wrong..... There are not 100 Sketches...

There were 400 Auto sets & for every 4 sets you get 1 Incentive Sketch...most people think that means 100 Sketches Right?

WRONG!

Rittenhouse Archives SOLD sets directly to Collectors on their website (LIMIT 1 AUTO set).

I figure about 80 Sets were sold directly to Collectors (that couldn't get Incentives).

This leaves 320 sets to Dealers..... 320/4 = 80 Sketches.... I think 80 sketches is a better number to try to work from....

45 Incentives have been seen That aren't mine with the Gold Seal.

here are all those images and a FEW THAT ARTISTS HAVE POSTED...

ADD TO THOSE....10 SKETCHES I HAVE...55 SKETCHES HAVE BEEN SEEN...THERE MAYBE 25 MORE OUT THERE.

here are mine...I have 12 in my album, I bought 2 of the ones listed in the 1st album. I bought one of Roy Cover's Sketches Really Cheap & I am Flipping it....

Here is my Album, https://www.facebook.com/media...4151563084890&type=3

if you like Buffy, Grab a sketch that you like... They won't last forever.

Also I found these...... James Marsters promo Autos https://www.facebook.com/media...4151563084890&type=3

Remember, Today is a Good Day To Buy!

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post