Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Holy mother, those are some amazing sketches!!! Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Wow those are some fantastic sketches, and the prices Eek definitely out of my price range.

I Love that David Desbois Darla sketch, it's beautiful.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
2500$$$
good luck to him

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Finally, quality sketches worth pulling.

Oh, wait a second . . . .

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by damien:
2500$$$
good luck to him

He has another one for $2500... The David Desbois Buffy and Angel Sketch.

And a Willow Vampire Sketch for $1750...

Very Elevated First Day Prices...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:
2500$$$
good luck to him

I saw
I just had to go check
hey if someone wants to pay that much for an official sketch

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
2500$$$
good luck to him

I saw
I just had to go check
hey if someone wants to pay that much for an official sketch

I certainly couldn't pay that sort of money even if it is official.
Seeing all of these is actually making me wish I could afford just one of them, I think I am going to have to commission one.

Ugh.. it's going to be terrible when the Firefly set with all it's sketches eventually gets released. I think I am going to have to rethink my policy on not collecting sketches for licenses I love, but just not at crazy prices Smile Twak

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I'm very curious
how many here are getting both the autographs?
and yeah,great sketches

I got both Autos... received them in the mail today.

I can't afford a Sketch card now... One seller has a Buffy Sketch for $2,500 or Best Offer.

Same here, both autos for me. Mine have just been shipped, and now I have to wait for them to arrive (hopefully it won't take longer than 3 weeks, I'm hoping for 2)

But at those prices, sketches are absolutely off the table for me. I had been saving for those 2 SMG autos for over a year now (ever since it was first announced) and they were at the extreme end of what I can spend on cards.

I will just have to finally get up the courage and get some commissioned.

posted Hide Post
Irrespective of whether sketches sell for $2,500 or not, they are clearly going to go for serious money.

Can someone please tell me what the benefit is to Rittenhouse of throwing in sketches as basically a freebie to dealers, when individual buyers would happily have snapped them up at face value.

All that happens is that the people who are desperate for a sketch get gouged, or are priced out of the market, which has to have an effect on their perception of the company.

Posts: 26 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

But every one is also fishing for a best offer, so they just threw up these prices to see if anyone would bite.

These are dealers who got 4 sets and are trying to recoup as much as they can of the whole $1,600 on the one sketch that they got. Than selling the stickers and auto will be pure profit.

It's up to collectors to decide how much each individual sketch is worth to them. Even a major character can only go so high.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

But every one is also fishing for a best offer, so they just threw up these prices to see if anyone would bite.

These are dealers who got 4 sets and are trying to recoup as much as they can of the whole $1,600 on the one sketch that they got. Than selling the stickers and auto will be pure profit.

It's up to collectors to decide how much each individual sketch is worth to them. Even a major character can only go so high.

I agree...

I was just saying the prices are high because they were just released.

I am not a Sketch Card person... I wouldn't mind to get one, but they seem priced very high to me.

I am not sure on Sketch Card Values...

What do you think the value of a Sketch card of Buffy would be realistically?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MarcG,

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree...

I am a Sketch Card person... I wouldn't mind to get one, but they seem priced very high to me.

Oh that is such a good question and you need someone better than me to answer it. Maybe an avid sketch card collector who is following the market, or even an artist who knows whose works are selling for what.

Buffy sketch cards would have to be appraised along the lines of any other official sketch. In my opinion its product + subject + quality + artist, or any placement of those four elements depending on your own order of importance. Some collectors might reverse the order. A well known artist doing a great sketch of a major character in a high priced product will go for big bucks.

The sketch of the Mayor is really nice, but would anyone pay even $200 for it? I know I wouldn't want to pay more for that character. The Buffy sketch is a winner, but $2,500? I could say no way, but someone might come along and snap it up.

Just because the sketches were an incentive for a $1,600 sale does not make them worth that much, but I would estimate that a quality sketch from this list of quality artists should be valued for at least as much as the SMG autograph as a starting point. Major characters would earn a premium, as would certain artists that have a strong following. I would also think that a few might turn up of lesser quality or interest. They might go for under $150 eventually, but probably not right now. Beyond that I have no idea how high is too high. This is not an especially realistic hobby so people have been known to do unrealistic things. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I would say the value of the "worst" (little to no color, lesser known character or artist) of these is about $100, just due to how hard it is to get them in the first place. The "best" (full color, fan favorite artist or characters) at around $400-$500.

The current prices for the first ones up are insane, but we shall see. Some of those "Games of Thrones" ones sold for $1,000 and they had no characters on them at all. They were just similarly hard to get and were drawn by some of the best sketch card artists in the business.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I would say the value of the "worst" (little to no color, lesser known character or artist) of these is about $100, just due to how hard it is to get them in the first place. The "best" (full color, fan favorite artist or characters) at around $400-$500.

The current prices for the first ones up are insane, but we shall see. Some of those "Games of Thrones" ones sold for $1,000 and they had no characters on them at all. They were just similarly hard to get and were drawn by some of the best sketch card artists in the business.

I'm sort of thinking the same way.

There's another one up by Javier Gonzalez

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Another beauty like the Darla sketch by David Desbois, I hope we get to see all of his in this style as they are just so lovely. I imagine it would be all but impossible to collect the set of these.

posted Hide Post
This was the sketch I received with my 4 sets...

Posts: 38 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: August 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steviek2:
This was the sketch I received with my 4 sets...

Congratulations Steviek!
That sketch is fantastic Big Grin

And thanks for sharing a scan of it, I'm enjoying seeing all of the sketches.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree...

I am a Sketch Card person... I wouldn't mind to get one, but they seem priced very high to me.

Oh that is such a good question and you need someone better than me to answer it. Maybe an avid sketch card collector who is following the market, or even an artist who knows whose works are selling for what.

Buffy sketch cards would have to be appraised along the lines of any other official sketch. In my opinion its product + subject + quality + artist, or any placement of those four elements depending on your own order of importance. Some collectors might reverse the order. A well known artist doing a great sketch of a major character in a high priced product will go for big bucks.

The sketch of the Mayor is really nice, but would anyone pay even $200 for it? I know I wouldn't want to pay more for that character. The Buffy sketch is a winner, but $2,500? I could say no way, but someone might come along and snap it up.

Just because the sketches were an incentive for a $1,600 sale does not make them worth that much, but I would estimate that a quality sketch from this list of quality artists should be valued for at least as much as the SMG autograph as a starting point. Major characters would earn a premium, as would certain artists that have a strong following. I would also think that a few might turn up of lesser quality or interest. They might go for under $150 eventually, but probably not right now. Beyond that I have no idea how high is too high. This is not an especially realistic hobby so people have been known to do unrealistic things. Big Grin

I edited my post... I meant to say, I am Not A Sketch Card Person, So I really do not know the market for sketch cards.

But, I would agree that a Buffy Sketch would be around the price for her auto card... I would even think it would be less.

Maybe $250 to $400 range... ???

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poita:
Irrespective of whether sketches sell for $2,500 or not, they are clearly going to go for serious money.

Can someone please tell me what the benefit is to Rittenhouse of throwing in sketches as basically a freebie to dealers, when individual buyers would happily have snapped them up at face value.

All that happens is that the people who are desperate for a sketch get gouged, or are priced out of the market, which has to have an effect on their perception of the company.

This is what I have been wondering as well.

I am in the camp that firmly approves of the way RA released the Buffy auto. $400 is not cheap but I also think it is not an unreasonable amount for a much desired star of this franchise. People complain about it not being pack inserted but with that scenario you're either a gambler busting a box or three who will probably come up short or you're buying cases trying to score big. The way it has happened, all the cards go straight to collectors who bought direct or most dealers get them all on the market straight away, meaning prices don't have to be insane even to begin with.

But RA keep saying there is more demand for these than there is cards so I really do not understand having these clearly high level (quality) sketches as incentives when the auto sets would have sold just fine without such an incentive. Incentives are a reward for big customers buying a lot and also, let's face it, to ensure some guaranteed revenue should your sealed product be more miss than hit. So if these sets have had to be allocated and everyone wants a Gellar, why did the dealers need a sweetener? All it has done is created a mentality that they should cost a fortune on the secondary market because of what it cost to get one as an incentive.

RA would have been better to offer these direct as well like the autos, but separately, in the sealed envelopes so that collectors who wanted them could have a decent shot at them and RA could have made more money out of the venture.
Such good sketches don't need to be freebies when the 'set' they're attached to will sell out on its own.

I really do not understand RA's logic on the sketch cards for this at all.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
After reading peoples comments it got has me thinking.

My question is.
How much were they going to charge when there was going to be a sketch in every pack? More? The same?
If it their price was always going to be $400 retail, I think those sketches should have been pack inserted into every 4th pack, at least then everyone who bought a set would have had at least a chance at getting one.
And if dealers still wanted to sell the sketches, well all they would have had to do is what some are now doing on feebay, splitting the sets up and selling everything separately.