Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:

wondering if there is going to be more than one set ?

I was told by someone from Rittenhouse at the Spring Philly show that there will only be one set.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
So if Rittenhouse is going to do only one set, and that set will have only new signers that haven't signed before, hopefully that would mean the value of Inkworks' autos, particularly 1-7, will remain fairly high.
Especially Alyson Hannigan's auto, because as far as I can remember, she's the only one of the main cast to have only signed once.

Does this mean that they are focusing on other chase cards for the set, like sketch cards?
I'm not much of a sketch collector so they don't really interest me, but I know alot of people are and there haven't been any official sketches for Buffy, so maybe they are hoping that will be one of the big draw cards apart for SMG's auto.

As like Sidewinder said, I don't have much interest in collecting autos from 1 episode guest stars, and I imagine alot of other people feel the same way (I will point out I am really looking forward to getting Eric Balfour's auto though, I think his role in episode 1&2 of S1 is memorable)

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would love to see the main cast sign again but I am very grateful for the SMG autograph alone. And to be honest that card is going to be so desired by Buffy fans that it can probably carry the set all by itself. This set is sure to be a hit regardless of who else signs. If she is the only main cast member to sign however that would influence how much of it I buy. If a majority of the main cast members signed I would buy at least a case (if not more) and probably an archive box. If Sarah is the only main cast member to sign I'll probably just pick up her autograph on eBay and piece together any other singles I want. I can see the sketches adding value similar to Game of Thrones.

Steve Charendoff recently posted this on the Rittenhouse boards regarding the release date:

"Likely the end of February, but I hope to have this nailed down before the holiday break. Waiting on sketch cards."

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt that this set will do well regardless of who else signs, for the simple fact that they got SMG to sign (I'm going to own one no matter what the cost Big Grin)
But it would have been great to get the whole main cast to sign again in Rittenhouse's FB style (which I love).

quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
If she is the only main cast member to sign however that would influence how much of it I buy. If a majority of the main cast members signed I would buy at least a case (if not more) and probably an archive box. If Sarah is the only main cast member to sign I'll probably just pick up her autograph on eBay and piece together any other singles I want.

But what you said here is the exact same thinking I have had about the set. It went from wanting to buy a case to try and get as many of the autos pulled myself to only looking to pick things up separately.
I went from wanting to collect a master set to only caring that I can pick up the few autos I want because what can they do that Inkworks hasn't?

Maybe Rittenhouse's base set pictures will be higher res so we get clearer pictures and I would love to see more of the amazing artwork from the covers of S8, S9 and S10 on cards.
I just don't want to see heaps of parallels, to me they add them to bulk out a set, I'm definitely not a fan of them.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
So if Rittenhouse is going to do only one set, and that set will have only new signers that haven't signed before, hopefully that would mean the value of Inkworks' autos, particularly 1-7, will remain fairly high.
Especially Alyson Hannigan's auto, because as far as I can remember, she's the only one of the main cast to have only signed once.

Boreanaz also signed only once, as did Whedon himself. Tractenberg signed once and of course Carpenter signed only once for Buffy. Kind of depends on how you define main cast, but I'm taking it as meaning a regular cast member in more than one season. Denisof might have crossed seasons too, I'm not sure right now.

In any event, I do hope that we get repeats of all the regulars and I don't think that it will decrease their original autograph card prices one bit. For the ones that are not included, it might even cause an increase based on renewed demand. The Inkworks cards are special and the bigger actors are not easily found. Even those that have signed a lot in other hodge podge sets like Americana and Donruss Leaf (Carpenter, Benson, Brandon, Caulfield, etc.) have not affected the market prices carried on their Buffy autograph cards.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Boreanaz also signed only once, as did Whedon himself. Tractenberg signed once and of course Carpenter signed only once for Buffy. Kind of depends on how you define main cast, but I'm taking it as meaning a regular cast member in more than one season. Denisof might have crossed seasons too, I'm not sure right now.

I guess I was meaning more in general, Boreanaz signed for Angel, Carpenter signed for Angel & Veronica Mars plus those misc auto sets, even Whedon signed twice, S1 and the case loader for S7.

You're right about Tractenberg, she hasn't signed for anything else that I'm aware of and Denisof hasn't either unfortunately, his auto seems missing to me in the Buffy sets considering his character started in Buffy (doesn't help that he is one of my favourite Buffy verse characters).

And I agree about the Inkworks autos and them holding their value, there is something about them that I love, but I'm probably looking at them through rose tinted glasses as I love the show so much. Because the last time my friend looked at all my autos she, not a collector, hated the look of Inkworks Buffy cards. "Too busy", she said, she prefers the minimalist look of Rittenhouse FBs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Juelle Lou,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Juelle, I think that your friend is just jealous. Wink Big Grin

I was talking about those signers on only Buffy cards, rather than on any other sets that they might have been included in.

That's a funny subject that I have talked about many times. Collectors that want an autograph of an actor solely for a particular character, are willing to pay through the nose for a signed card in whatever title has the photo of that character. Yet the certified autograph itself may be able to be found in another product for less than 10% of that price. It is really mind boggling that more people don't take advantage of it, but that's how it goes.

As an example and since we are talking Buffy, Carpenter's signature in the first season is listing at over $400. It is very hard to find, I'm thankful that I got it quite early on. But if you can't afford that, you can pick up her authenticated autograph in a slew of other products for sometimes as little as $20. I always tell people it's the same signature, go for it!

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
News via Steve Charendoff on the Rittenhouse boards -- Buffy will be released as a "Collector's Set" and not pack/box/case form. Here is Steve's direct quote:

"Re Buffy, we decided to make it a collector's set, rather a regular foil-pack series, simply because I felt that a foil-pack series would inevitably duplicate a lot of the cards already produced. We have signed cards by Sarah Michelle Gellar, and we're gathering sketch cards, too, which have never been done before. Those are what matters most, so we're keeping it simple."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will refrain from commenting until I see the final announcement...... Frown

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:
I will refrain from commenting until I see the final announcement...... Frown

...and price.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Maybe it'll end up being a premium set or be issued in premium packs.

I hope not!
I'm all for opening boxes.... at this point its just a guessing game!

I thought this might happen. They can't possibly have enough SMG autos to make them one per set, can they? Each set will probably have a sketch and every 12th set or so might also have the autograph, plus I would imagine some will be issued as incentives for those who can pre-order a lot of them. Basically, this now looks like a sketch-driven set that happens to have just one autograph card, albeit of one of the most sought after signers of the last 20 years. I think this one will sell through pretty quickly.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Maybe it'll end up being a premium set or be issued in premium packs.

I hope not!
I'm all for opening boxes.... at this point its just a guessing game!

I thought this might happen. They can't possibly have enough SMG autos to make them one per set, can they? Each set will probably have a sketch and every 12th set or so might also have the autograph, plus I would imagine some will be issued as incentives for those who can pre-order a lot of them. Basically, this now looks like a sketch-driven set that happens to have just one autograph card, albeit of one of the most sought after signers of the last 20 years. I think this one will sell through pretty quickly.

I was wondering that also -- will there be a SMG auto in every set or will she be an incentive if you buy say 10 or 15 sets. I never really thought about inserting it randomly into sets. Who knows, maybe she signed over 200 cards and they can insert one autograph per set, with a sketch. They did make those Star Trek Into Darkness Preview sets with only 250 cards signed of Pine & Quinto so I would think that's about the number of SMG autographs they would need to do that same type of thing here.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If there are only 200 sets (or so) and each has an SMG in it, I can't imagine the cost would be less than $500, since that's likely what a Buffy card signed by her would be worth on the aftermarket, particularly if there are only 200. It'll be interesting to see how they decide to do it. They definitely have people's attention now.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree. If she's in every set the lowest SRP I can see is $499.99. And I highly doubt that it would be that low.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Steve Charendoff just confirmed that each set will contain the Sarah Michelle Gellar autograph.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So what is the deal here now? That there are no other autographs in this product besides SMG? That the other hit might be a sketch only?

You know I can understand that certain things fall through and it is no one's fault, and I am a fan of RA products, but someone is going to have to explain how the prospect of a brand new Buffy set turned into this.

If this is correct, why not just sell the SMG autograph at $600 a pop and be done with it. If it's not correct, RA should better define exactly what will be in this product. The scheduled time for release is close enough that they should know what will be in it. Roll Eyes

Thanks for that Logan, each set has SMG. Only Big Pockets should apply. If it sounds to you like I am disappointed, you are right. Shake Head

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
there will be sketch cards and other autos at random
so I have been told

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I am watching and hoping.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
I am definitely gonna try and get this one. SMG must be in my collection!

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
This format will actually favor the collector, IMHO.

All the sets will have a SMG. That means none hiding in boxes or cases that are in someone's inventory. They'll all hit the market at once, so the price should be competitive early on. At least until the supply starts to dwindle.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post