Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Carolyn Edwards DARK WILLOW Sketch Card

A New Artist has Turned up for this Set.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So the card has 2013 Fox in the copyright and the artist must have completed it in 2015 according to her signature.

I think that, between RA and the artists themselves, there must be a small stockpile of these Buffy sketches awaiting release at some point.

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
This may have been intended for release in Series One. Series One had a few people who weren't announced as well. Ingrid Hardy & Seth Ismart both come to mind.

I talked with almost all the Artist who worked Series One. The Approval Process was BRUTAL! One Artist Had ONLY 2 Sketches approved... & one of those was his ARTIST PROOF....

A Lot of them said that Not all of their approved sketches were released in Series One..

I know shortly after Series One came out, Several Artists were asked to work on Series 2...

With the announcement of Series Three, I know there are more than likely some set aside for that.

Quite a few Artists have said they were Told ONLY To Do Monsters! NO MAIN STARS!

I hope this doesn't go the w/ the GOT Sketches.
buildings, weapons, Monsters, Castles & Dragons... No People.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:

Quite a few Artists have said they were Told ONLY To Do Monsters! NO MAIN STARS!

I can't help but wonder, is that not insulting to tell an artist not to draw people for a set that obviously includes sketches of people by other artists? I understand approvals of people are probably easier for someone like Mr. Desbois here but still, I would feel uncomfortable having to tell that to another artist unless people sketches were off limits across the board.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope this doesn't go the w/ the GOT Sketches.
buildings, weapons, Monsters, Castles & Dragons... No People.

It can't go the way of Game of Thrones without RA destroying its own model for the Buffy cards.

In GoT the sketches are inserted into the boxes. The odds of pulling one are incredible, but you can pull them. They therefore add extra value to the product, but the product does not depend on them. So even though character/actor likenesses have been forbidden so far, the sketches of landscapes and objects have held value just because they are so rare.

It is very much the opposite with Buffy. All sketches are incentives. A set buyer can't just pull one and I would argue that the product very much depends on the sketches. They are what is propping up dealer sales so that dealers are willing to buy 5 sets at a time. The expected value of the sketch sale is what gives dealers the assurance that, even if they have to discount the set purchases to their customers, they will make up the shorted difference and more when they sell the sketch.

Now here's the part I would find troubling if I were a dealer. If as you say many artists are not allowed to draw main characters, the sketches of generic demons and monsters are not going to sell in those higher ranges, even if they are quite nice.

Next to the artist name, the sketch subject is the second most important element. Lesser sketches of main characters will be worth more than better sketches of lesser characters. That's just how popular demand works. So if it becomes too tough to find sketches of main characters, it is going to have a direct impact on the dealers, who will in turn impact the product next time around.

This product is unique in that the autographs should be the driving force of the sales, but it is the sketch incentives that make it worthwhile for the dealers. Otherwise the price point of the single set with a single autograph is too high. If it turns out that a majority of those sketches are being done on only secondary characters, the dealers will be in no hurry to buy it out the next time around.

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Roy Cover & Chris Meeks...

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And this Charles Hall Artist Return sketch of Buffy herself just sold at auction for $271.85. An absolute steal in my opinion...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
And this Charles Hall Artist Return sketch of Buffy herself just sold at auction for $271.85. An absolute steal in my opinion...

Oh yeah, that's a very low price for it. Maybe some people don't care for his style, but that's his artwork and it is pretty recognizable. Plus it's the main character. Either some collector got lucky and made a really great purchase or we are going to see this one change hands again at a higher value pretty soon. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

or we are going to see this one change hands again at a higher value pretty soon. Smile

I think I just figured out who won it and yes, I think this notion you have Raven will turn out to be correct. Hint - it may be someone who posted in this very forum quite recently. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Next AR Up from Charles Hall up soon...He just posted this on FB.....

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Warren Martineck ARs

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Warren Martineck ARs

I really like the one of Buffy's house. It's a nice change of pace. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kyle Babbitt sketch...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Surprised no one mentioned the 20th anniversary of Buffy's first episode yesterday, March 10, 1997.

Makes you feel a lot older doesn't it? Maybe that's why. Big Grin

Wouldn't it have been nice if the Buffy series could have been afford just a little of what RA has done with the many Star Trek anniversaries?

I'll answer my own question. Yeah, it would have been.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Surprised no one mentioned the 20th anniversary of Buffy's first episode yesterday, March 10, 1997.

Sarah Michelle Gellar posted this on Instagram yesterday. It was very nice I only wish she would've embraced and appreciated the show this much while she was actually doing it...

sarahmgellar 20 years ago today, I had the greatest privilege to bring Buffy to your tv screens for the first time. It was a long and challenging road to get there. First the movie, then a passed over pilot presentation, and eventually a mid season time slot on a little known network. That first season, we liked to think of ourselves as the little show that could. While we knew the potential, I don’t think any of us saw the lasting impact our show would have. As an actor, you wish for that one role where you can leave your mark and forever be remembered, with Buffy I got so much more. She’s a feminist challenge to gender hierarchy. Buffy may have been the Chosen One, but I was the lucky one. Thank you to Gail Berman for always believing there was a show in that movie. Thank you to Joss Whedon, for trusting me to give life to one of the greatest female characters ever created. Thank you to David, for always being my Angel. Thank you to James for understanding that while Buffy and Spike may have been love/hate, I have nothing but love for you. Alyson, as any woman knows, you are nothing without the love and support of great female friends, so thank you for being that. Michelle, you will always hold a key to my heart. Thank you to all the incredible actors for seven seasons of amazing performances. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the incredible crew that worked tirelessly (and also really tired) to bring this show to life. And lastly, but most importantly thank you to all of you, the fans. We made this show for you, and your unwavering support has kept this show going long past our seven years. You are everything. And always remember..."if the apocalypse comes, beep me" #buffyslays20

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Nice to see Cordy represented in the sketches... Great looking sketches.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Seems like we have a bunch of extreme close-ups. I wonder if that was mandated or if certain artists just happened to have similar designs in mind?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
its a bit easier since you worry less about the hair and proportions/edge of the visage
it's freestyle really within the participating cast members selection
I do prefer mine 'bust' sized, but it's my own artist choice

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post