Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
There is sketches from all major characters on my part including Buffy and Angel. Didn't do any monsters/non-humans.

I would gladly take any extra Buffy Sketch cards you have laying around...

Ha ha

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that perhaps there was 2 Versions of the SMG Auto Card was because Rittenhouse had plans on making another Buffy Set and then when all of the issues they had popped up, they scrapped the idea of a second set and just released both SMG autos at once...

Even though Buffy has a huge following and people still love the show... the actors have moved on and I think it is a bit late to do another set.

I am Very Glad that this "set" did come out and finally there is an Official Sarah Michelle Gellar Buffy Auto...

Also when news broke out about the set and SMG signing, the first thing I heard was she only signed 200 cards for the set and then at a card show Rittenhouse gave fans a preview of the Auto card...

So I believe that this was the only SMG Auto card they were going to release if the set went the way they wanted...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
Sketch cards will be ridiculously priced as there will be so few of them.

This is basically a dealers set, where they purchase as many sets as they can and sell the sketches at huge prices.

Least with GoT we actually got a full set with other cards and the sketches were an added bonus. All we have in this set is an auto and some stickers that look like they're from a set made 10 years ago.

With only 400 sets available, they all should have had a sketch included. If so many sketches were rejected, then they should have looked at other options to replace that hit.

That is my main issue with this so called set... The sketch cards.

To have the Sketch Cards be basically a Dealer Incentive just stinks...

Most likely a lot of us wont see a lot of the Sketch cards, unless RA posts all the cards online...

Since there are only 100 Sketch Cards, if all of the info on posts are correct about that number, then the ones that end up on the bay will most likely be very expensive.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
This really is a curious set. I like your theory MarcG about them planning to hold the second auto style over for a potential second set. Makes a lot of sense and is very much RA's MO when it comes to autograph cards.

I get some people are disappointed but between this and other forums I really don't understand the ire this is causing. I think more than 9 sticker cards could have been offered but ultimately given all of the cards offered by inkworks, Buffy was a property that has been covered far more thoroughly than most. Apart from Seth Green, what big pieces are missing?

That said, I do think it would have been neat to give Buffy fans another shot at popular actors who's cards go for big money now, especially if that means getting them on RAs nice clean auto designs. And just how saleable is a set that would be near enough ALL repeats?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
Huge let down, no set, chase sets, just sticker cards. What about gums with them.. very disapointed, ra made great sets and just messed things up with Buffy, sadly.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
This really is a curious set. I like your theory MarcG about them planning to hold the second auto style over for a potential second set. Makes a lot of sense and is very much RA's MO when it comes to autograph cards.

I get some people are disappointed but between this and other forums I really don't understand the ire this is causing. I think more than 9 sticker cards could have been offered but ultimately given all of the cards offered by inkworks, Buffy was a property that has been covered far more thoroughly than most. Apart from Seth Green, what big pieces are missing?

That said, I do think it would have been neat to give Buffy fans another shot at popular actors who's cards go for big money now, especially if that means getting them on RAs nice clean auto designs. And just how saleable is a set that would be near enough ALL repeats?

The second set theory seems to make sense to me and things just did not work out the way RA wanted...

I do agree with you that Inkworks did a lot with Buffy except for a SMG auto and a Seth Green auto... There is really not that much left to do with it.

Even though I am a Huge Buffy Fan... I think this should be the last Buffy set.

Inkworks did a great job when they produced the sets and now that RA finally got Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign an official Buffy Auto Card, I think it is time to let Buffy rest.

I am very very happy that I will be getting my 2 SMG Buffy Autos very soon... Dance

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jademaliburoad:

ra made great sets and just messed things up with Buffy, sadly.

In fairness we don't know that, Rittenhouse may have been let down very badly by other people.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by jademaliburoad:

ra made great sets and just messed things up with Buffy, sadly.

In fairness we don't know that, Rittenhouse may have been let down very badly by other people.

I agree... I think a lot of the issues with this set were not RA's fault.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regardless of who dropped the ball....
All they can come up with is some 9 stickers? You couldn't have thought outside the box and even done a simple puzzle set, hell parallel stickers?

I would have preferred if this was delayed another 6 months to actually make it into a "set" that was efficiently targeted for the entire non-sport community.

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:
Regardless of who dropped the ball....
All they can come up with is some 9 stickers? You couldn't have thought outside the box and even done a simple puzzle set, hell parallel stickers?

I would have preferred if this was delayed another 6 months to actually make it into a "set" that was efficiently targeted for the entire non-sport community.

I agree... But I think RA just ran into too many obstacles when it came to this set and figured just release it with what they have and make the sketch cards a "dealer incentive" so that the set would sell out in a day...

Trying to make this set the way they hoped was giving RA headaches and they just wanted to end the pain...

Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
Well, 3 days since a post on this thread so I thought I'd update. Smile
The set has been massively over subscribed and has completely sold out. My order was allocated, so I had to buy off ebay to fulfil my customers orders. it looks like after all the complaining on here, it didn't affect the sales at all. I wonder how many complaints will follow on this thread because collectors couldn't get either or both of these cards. They are already selling for more than RRP two weeks before release. Looks like 'The only way is up' - to quote a 90's one-hit wonder Smile

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardcollectors uk:

The set has been massively over subscribed and has completely sold out. My order was allocated, so I had to buy off ebay to fulfil my customers orders. it looks like after all the complaining on here, it didn't affect the sales at all.

It just goes to show there is far more money than sense out there but that's just my opinion.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
If I had collected Buffy I would have purchased a card - This IS the Holy grail of Buffy cards. Time will tell if the price holds but I can't see it dropping significantly.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Allocations are tough. I don't like to tell my customers no...ever ever. So, I feel for those who have gotten that news. (not me, don't buy buffy)

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
It just goes to show there is far more money than sense out there but that's just my opinion.

Where does sense come into it? Big Grin

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardcollectors uk:
Well, 3 days since a post on this thread so I thought I'd update. Smile
The set has been massively over subscribed and has completely sold out. My order was allocated, so I had to buy off ebay to fulfil my customers orders. it looks like after all the complaining on here, it didn't affect the sales at all. I wonder how many complaints will follow on this thread because collectors couldn't get either or both of these cards. They are already selling for more than RRP two weeks before release. Looks like 'The only way is up' - to quote a 90's one-hit wonder Smile

I don't believe anyone expressed the idea that it wouldn't sell out. Quite the contrary, there are only 400 SMG signed cards, 200 in each style. Unless the price of the card was closer to $1,000, it was just about guaranteed to sell out, if only to those dealers buying 4 cards to get an incentive sketch.

Now I keep saying card because I do not call this a set. It's one SMG autograph and the 9 stickers are an afterthought. This is not the Ultimate Buffy Collection as it is titled and that's what people were complaining about. It doesn't mean that they didn't go out and buy it, it just means that they were hoping for so much more.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I think in a couple of months, it'll be pretty difficult to put an exact price on them, since there won't be many for sale, but it should settle in around $600 if it is indeed scarce on the aftermarket. That number could decrease slightly perhaps, if she signs future "Official" Buffy cards.

Look at the Rittenhouse Iron Man Autograph with the picture of Downey as Stark on it (the one of him in armor is not as desirable).

The Stark Downey is probably a similar production number card of an actor with a similar stature within its subject (the Marvel Movie Universe is built around Downey, after all), and they very seldom come up for sale. I got one when the cards were new and I've never once considered selling or even trading mine.
It was a $400 card pretty much instantly, but now would probably take around $600 to get, which seems to be a pretty good template for this SMG card, I think. Those who have them will tend to keep them, though, so it's hard to say. Congrats to all the Buffy fans who got one.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing the sketches that got through!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well we could quibble about it CPF, but I don't think it would make that much difference. If Downey's Ironman autograph is running at $600 now (your figure), I might contend that the SMG Buffy autograph won't get that high.

When I look at an autograph card I consider the value to be based on the potential demand and the demand to be based on the potential number of people willing to buy it. You have the worth of the autograph itself and than you have the worth of the card in relation to the rest of the product/set.

Downey has a body of work that goes beyond the Marvel movies. He is known for other roles besides Ironman, so that autograph card's average value is a combination of demand from people that may be completing the set, or people that may like the Ironman character, or people that may just want his signature because they like him as an actor.

I wouldn't say that's true with this SMG autograph card. First off, there is no set to complete, it's a one shot deal. Get the card and get the stickers, as long as you have $400 to spare you are done. If the card gets separated from the stickers, I don't think the stickers would be worth a whole lot.

Secondly, try as you might, SMG is only in demand as Buffy. Her fan base is almost exclusively from Buffy and that is why they keep talking about official Buffy cards. It is the character that is more important than the actress. People who are not into Buffy will not spend $400 for SMG's signature and those that are will grab it early and keep it, on that we agree.

I don't know how much this card can appreciate coming out at such a high fixed price point. I don't think the bottom will fall out because 200 of each style is limited enough to be easily absorbed by the Buffy demand, but there is a ceiling.

It will always be a desirable autograph card and whoever gets it will likely be happy as long as they aren't doing it just for a big profit.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I actually wanted the Downey card thanks to his work in "Natural Born Killers". It has taken on a little bit of luster with the continued popularity of his Iron Man role.
(Which reminds me, I still have to start the thread about autographs cards you own that you would rather commemorated a different role than the one the card was signed for. I'm not sure I'd put the Downey Iron Man on the list, as I do enjoy the Marvel movies, but you all get the idea. Oh well, add it to the list, haha).

I don't think a lot of money will be made on the re-sale of these cards in and of themselves. Even if you sold one on Ebay, for say, $500, you're still paying $65+ in Ebay/Paypal fees, which would eat up most of the profit if you'd paid the retail $400 to get it in the first place. It seems those dealer's able to get 4 cards, and thus the incentive sketch, will make the lion's share of what profits there are to had from the sale of the sketch card.

Anyway, where value is concerned, there is never a need to quibble. We only have wait and see. Let's meet back either here or at the top of the Empire State Building (whichever is easier), in say, three months time, and see, we shall...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Here's good, if you live in NYC you don't go to any of those places the tourists always want to see. Big Grin