Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
and about the Dark Willow, it's an oversized incentive, supposed to be given out like that (cuz we don't want to cut the hand; I decided to take the other Willow as AR in the end, but considered this one)

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
and about the Dark Willow, it's an oversized incentive, supposed to be given out like that (cuz we don't want to cut the hand; I decided to take the other Willow as AR in the end, but considered this one)

And I see you also have this AP or AR or whatever. Big Grin Fantastic work by the way!

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wait, I had no idea that any of the incentives were oversized/uncut?? I thought they were all cut to normal trading card size and placed in a top loader with a gold seal.

Posts: 44 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: December 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:

David... your work is incredible!

You could do a whole set of sketches by yourself.

We need a David Desbois Sketch Set!

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There are a lot of rules to these things and its all designed to get artists more money without really paying them. Maybe there should be less compensation and more money upfront. Big Grin

But if they paid the artists the value up front that gets passed to the collector in box prices! At least this way artists can get some decent money and individuals can commission the character that they want (subject to approval )

The artwork in these 2 Buffy releases has been phenomenal, but we have here some of the best known sketch artists, so its not surprising. The least appealing sketch, of the least appealing character will probably sell for a minimum of $150, maybe more, so this is not typical sketch art by any means.

For artists of this high caliber I can see where all means of compensation may be necessary just to get them on board.

For the more typical sketch art products, we are still paying $75 a box and pulling $10.00 sketches, if that much, that artists are being paid $2.00 a piece to create, if that much. So yes, I think artists should be paid more upfront as part of their contract and then maybe we would get a minimum level of better artwork in those other products too.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I checked the Bay fast and saw two sketches sold already...

Mike James - Willow and Tara Sketch AP - $1600

Warren Martineck - The Judge Sketch - $725

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a lot, especially for the demon sketch. Just because its not a primary character.

I don't know . . . but somebody's happy. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All aboard the Buffy sketch train ....

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The bottom line here is that Rittenhouse need to make money and the dealers they sell to need to make money. The collectors who actually want the cards come in a very poor third.

It's an interesting point, and in my gut I agree - I think there is something very wrong about sellers asking a minimum of £600 (with many an average asking price of £1k) for any/every sketch card.

I can only say fair enough at dealers trying to recoup investment and make a profit because of how RA have released the sets, but ignoring all that, what does it say about all those collectors who ARE paying those prices?
Maybe to them, RA are giving collectors a really good quality insert and do not treat collectors badly like Topps do when it comes to sketch cards? Topps sketches may come in packs/boxes but the quality is a joke.

In the same way many keep saying these Buffy autos aren't worth the asking price, RA have produced sketch cards worth the big asking prices, to (some) collectors anyway.

Despite all that, I'd be interested to know how many are being bought by the same people because there are some fanatical collectors with very deep pockets and annoyingly they can end up pushing prices up for everyone.
Personally I do think that RA have shortchanged the 'average' Buffy fan who would love a good quality sketch from their favourite show but rightly can't afford or justify the extravagance.
*By 'average' fan I mean those who consider the Buffy sketch prices ridiculous (I would imagine the majority?)

I wouldn't have thought the market was there for Buffy sketches, at this level anyaway, but I guess it is. In some parallel universe I'd love to know if the exact same sketches would sell for less had they been released in a regular box format.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The bottom line here is that Rittenhouse need to make money and the dealers they sell to need to make money. The collectors who actually want the cards come in a very poor third.

It's an interesting point, and in my gut I agree - I think there is something very wrong about sellers asking a minimum of £600 (with many an average asking price of £1k) for any/every sketch card.

I can only say fair enough at dealers trying to recoup investment and make a profit because of how RA have released the sets, but ignoring all that, what does it say about all those collectors who ARE paying those prices?
Maybe to them, RA are giving collectors a really good quality insert and do not treat collectors badly like Topps do when it comes to sketch cards? Topps sketches may come in packs/boxes but the quality is a joke.

In the same way many keep saying these Buffy autos aren't worth the asking price, RA have produced sketch cards worth the big asking prices, to (some) collectors anyway.

Despite all that, I'd be interested to know how many are being bought by the same people because there are some fanatical collectors with very deep pockets and annoyingly they can end up pushing prices up for everyone.
Personally I do think that RA have shortchanged the 'average' Buffy fan who would love a good quality sketch from their favourite show but rightly can't afford or justify the extravagance.
*By 'average' fan I mean those who consider the Buffy sketch prices ridiculous (I would imagine the majority?)

I wouldn't have thought the market was there for Buffy sketches, at this level anyaway, but I guess it is. In some parallel universe I'd love to know if the exact same sketches would sell for less had they been released in a regular box format.

Not to derail this thread much further -- but I guess the fundamental question I have is, do dealers actually make more money with incentives and then having to practically dump the regular product as opposed to putting everything in the packs and giving collectors more of reason to pay higher box/case prices? Rittenhouse seems to thinks so, but I have my doubts. Have everything be pack-inserted and let each set stand on it's own merits. If the quality is there, I believe dealers will end up making more money that way. And I know one well known dealer that frequents these boards has also voiced his dislike of incentives.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I understand why people are a bit upset in how Rittenhouse has released the two Buffy sets and the contents of each set...

I feel there are some collectors who do not mind paying up to know exactly what they will get instead of purchasing a lot of packs and boxes with the hopes of pulling something good.

Not to mention all of the doubles and triples of base cards they will most likely get.

But, then again the chase is always fun and it seems like the majority of people on here prefer a more traditional type of release.

I do wish the sketch cards were a bit more attainable... the prices are a bit crazy, but that was expected.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:

thanks for the praise. Was really happy to participate; Buffy was the first show I followed back then even if I didn't
understood much of it at that time (French vs English). Brings back good memories. I only do 1 or 2 sets per year, so I
pick them with care.

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:

thanks for the praise. Was really happy to participate; Buffy was the first show I followed back then even if I didn't
understood much of it at that time (French vs English). Brings back good memories. I only do 1 or 2 sets per year, so I
pick them with care.

You are welcome... your skills as an artist and attention to detail is incredible.

Thanks for the great work!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Two AP's from Tim Levandoski...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John Haun oversized artist return...

posted Hide Post
Anyone else think it's funny that RA's website is down amidst this release? I went to see if they updated the sketch artists yet and all I found was an error message lol Confused

Posts: 44 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: December 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BornToBeAPopstar:
Anyone else think it's funny that RA's website is down amidst this release? I went to see if they updated the sketch artists yet and all I found was an error message lol Confused

It's down for me also but I checked earlier today and saw that Warren Martineck is now on the list.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
Originally posted by BornToBeAPopstar:

It's down for me also but I checked earlier today and saw that Warren Martineck is now on the list.

Still down... just checked it.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
New Lee Lightfoot sketch...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
New Lee Lightfoot sketch...

Is anyone else as happy as me that RA is finally covering the gold seal in a way that shows off the sketch more. Some of the ones in Series 1 are covering way too much of the actual sketch. I'm glad that they're at least trying to make it better this time around Thumb Up