Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Picture of SamIAm
posted Hide Post
My favourite sketch so far sealed or returned is the unsold AR sketch from Mr Cover at $1500 dollars on eBay, truly beautiful colourful and original! An amazing piece of Art that captures Willow's expression in beautiful detail.

Posts: 35 | Location: Australia | Registered: April 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:
Doing that comparison thing devalues the artwork by quite a bit, It takes it from being unique to just a copy.

Everyone has an opinion...

I think it is better to have a sketch look like the character/actor then have people trying to guess who it is or what it is of.

Plus there are a lot of sketches that look like they are directly from the show.

It is a scene from a Great episode in the series... Prophecy Girl.

And you did state earlier you never watched a minute of Buffy or Angel.

I think watching or knowing Buffy would help put a pulse on a character when you are sketching... my own opinion.

Sometimes Unique is too much and takes away from what the character really is about.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I see both points of this argument.....

I would rather see myself as an Artist & not a Copier....

The only one that was up in the Air as to who it was was the Tara/Willow debate....

In that case, I think the problem was the guy who Posted said it was Tara.... anyone who wanted to see Tara....Saw Tara...those of us who wanted to see Willow, saw Willow.....

I think this is a Great Sketch..... people Bring what they want to the piece....see what they want to see.....

The World is a Strange place when I'm the Voice of Reason......

for some sketches, like Star Wars Masterwork...it would be nice if the Names of some of the Artists could actually be Read or who the Sketch is of......some are a Mystery..........

I have about 6 sketches I won't list until I know who the Hell they are......

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post

Buffy Sold, I didn't win this one...

Even I can't win them all.....

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:

I wonder how much... I was told the first offer he received... I am assuming it went for more.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:

The only one that was up in the Air as to who it was was the Tara/Willow debate....

In that case, I think the problem was the guy who Posted said it was Tara.... anyone who wanted to see Tara....Saw Tara...those of us who wanted to see Willow, saw Willow.....

I think this is a Great Sketch..... people Bring what they want to the piece....see what they want to see.....

The World is a Strange place when I'm the Voice of Reason......

for some sketches, like Star Wars Masterwork...it would be nice if the Names of some of the Artists could actually be Read or who the Sketch is of......some are a Mystery..........

I have about 6 sketches I won't list until I know who the Hell they are......

I do not mind Unique but when a Sketch is being done for a show that is being released by a card company, I rather have something familiar and brings back memories of that character or scene, then try to guess what is going on or who it is of...

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
David Desbois did some amazing work and again I feel it is from scenes from the show...

And I do not feel it devalues the sketch at all.

Here is an example of David Debois Sketches...

Sketch:

Real:

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
And here is his AR of Buffy and Angel:

Sketch:

Real:

I still think it is one of the Best Sketches and still very Valuable.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I feel Unique should be for Commissioned Work and an Sketch from an Official Set should have more Accuracy to the Sketches...

Again, just my opinion.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:

I wonder how much... I was told the first offer he received... I am assuming it went for more.

I'm gonna assume it went for the Last Offer.....

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm gonna assume it went for the Last Offer.....

ha ha...

Depends if the last offer was lower than the first offer. Wink

(But I meant in my original post... I am assuming it went for Much Much more than the first offer, which was pretty high to begin with...)

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:

So would you consider David Desbois Sketches as copies?

The two examples are exactly from the show and I think they are Amazing.

I know I would not think of them as a "copy".

As I said before, I rather see a Sketch that I know what scene it is from and it looks like the characters as I remember them.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Everything would be considered a "Copy"...

Here is another example:

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
All I am saying I can basically find every "Real" picture and their Sketch Card Counterpart from this set...

If you are doing a Sketch for a Show and of certain characters, then you are going to need a Starting point...

So then you could say every Sketch Card is a "Copy".

I do not feel they are copies at all...

posted Hide Post
Once you see the original source ref, generally the comparisons start. better to not know, keeps it interesting. I've seen some bad copies where the artist looks like they have arthritis or some kinda shakes. once you see the ref photo all ya do is excrete all over the drawing because all you see is flaws. we all have faults, posting side by sides just confirms the faults and devalues the art. Reason the Mona Lisa is so intriguing is because no one knows.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I am saying I can basically find every "Real" picture and their Sketch Card Counterpart from this set...

If you are doing a Sketch for a Show and of certain characters, then you are going to need a Starting point…

Ahh pretty much. and i'm sure all the Buffy fans know this so why show the source? Kinda redundant, no? I don't do the feelings thing. it is what it is it's a copy.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everything would be considered a "Copy"...

Here is another example:

Darnit that's a better picture, wish I found that one.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once you see the original source ref, generally the comparisons start. better to not know, keeps it interesting. I've seen some bad copies where the artist looks like they have arthritis or some kinda shakes. once you see the ref photo all ya do is excrete all over the drawing because all you see is flaws. we all have faults, posting side by sides just confirms the faults and devalues the art. Reason the Mona Lisa is so intriguing is because no one knows.

I understand your point...

But it is hard not to know the original source when the Sketches are from a Very Popular Show like Buffy.

I do not think it devalues or points out flaws.

Every Artist is Unique and that shows in their Art.

I guarantee if the Mona Lisa was done today, we would all know who it was of...

But I do understand your point, I guess I look at art differently and I guess that is what it is all about.

Everyone has their own opinions about Art.

Some people might Love Jackson Pollock and his style and others might think it is just paint spilled onto a canvas.... nothing impressive.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Darnit that's a better picture, wish I found that one.

Ha ha...

And having a good sense of Humor is the best!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you are doing a Sketch for a Show and of certain characters, then you are going to need a Starting point…

Ahh pretty much. and i'm sure all the Buffy fans know this so why show the source? Kinda redundant, no? I don't do the feelings thing. it is what it is it's a copy.

I was not trying to be redundant in showing the originals... I know Buffy Fans know the source.

All I was showing how incredible the Sketches looked like compared to the real thing...

I find it interesting and I think some people would like to see it as well.

And then you stated it is basically a copy.

So according to you none of the Sketches are Art, they are just Copies.