Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a list of some notables from the series who never signed (aside from Sarah of course):

SETH GREEN as Oz

AMY ADAMS as Beth in "Family"

AMBER TAMBLYN as Janice in "All the Way"

RACHEL BILSON as Colleen in "Dirty Girls"

SHONDA FARR as April in "I Was Made to Love You"

ALEXIS DENISOF as Wesley Wyndam-Pryce (signed for Angel, but not Buffy)

MICHELLE BRANCH as Herself in "Tabula Rasa"

ASHANTI as Lissa in "First Date"

CLEA DUVALL as Marci Ross in "Out of Mind, Out of Sight"

KELLI GARNER as Kirstie in "The Body"

KATHARINE TOWNE as Sunday in "The Freshman"

MEREDITH SALENGER as Grace Newman in "I Only Have Eyes For You"

RICHARD HERD as Dr Stanley Backer in "Killed by Death"

KAL PENN as Hunt in "Beer Bad"

WENTWORTH MILLER as Gage in "Go Fish"

SHANE WEST as Sean in "Go Fish"

DANIA RAMIREZ as Caridad in 3 episodes

JOHN HAWKES as George in "I Only Have Eyes For You"

ERIC BALFOUR as Jesse in "Welcome to the Hellmouth"

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info, but I too hope it is not true. At least not to the extent that only new signers will be included. Come on, who doesn't want new autographs of the whole gang and bads like Fillion? Repeats have nothing to do with it.

As for that list of notables, most of them are of little interest to me besides Green, who has refused all along, and Adams, excuse my laughter. Tamblyn, Bilson and Denisoff would be good additions if available, but I don't know if any one of them would agree.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Seth Green and Amy Adams would be fantastic gets for sure.

Of the others, Hawkes is awesome. He was on "Deadwood" and gave amazing performances in (at least) 3 fairly recent movies "Martha Marcy May Marlene", "Winter's Bone" and "The Sessions". He has a signed card from "Lost".

Dania Ramirez has signed cards from the X-Men 3 movie and the "Heroes" TV show. Eric Balfour was on "Six Feet Under". I wish he'd signed for that set.

I'm not sure about the others. I've only seen a couple of episodes of "Buffy" so should I ever have A LOT of free time, that's definitely something to look forward to. The Seth Green card, I would want for his work on "Austin Powers", "Family Guy", and "Hotel New Hampshire". The Amy Adams card I would want because, like many others, I am in love with her. Luv You

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also...
Clea Duvall has been on a couple of other TV series of note to card collectors, "American Horror Story: Asylum" and "Heroes". I thought she was great in the ended-much-too-soon HBO series "Carnivale" from about 10 years ago. Maybe Breygent has her for the next AHS set. Hope so.

Kal Penn, come on, who wouldn't want a card of Kumar from the legendary stoner series "Harold and Kumar"? There's already a Harold card after a fashion since that actor, John Cho, has signed for the new Star Trek movie cards. I was lucky enough to see the duo at Comic-Con a couple of different times (back before it was so crazy there) in panels for the first two movies. From that admittedly limited interaction, it does seem like in real life, that Kal Penn seems to be a lot more like the business-minded Harold while John Cho is much more like the fun-loving Kumar. Penn was pretty quiet both times and Cho was very gregarious, the opposite of their onscreen personas, go figure. Penn was also on "House M.D." for a few seasons with a character that met a controversial end. Anyways, I'd like that card.

Michelle Branch and Ashanti had some big hits on the radio back then, so I'm sure some people would be keen on those autographs. I remember someone saying singer Aimee Mann was on "Buffy" one time. She'd have a popular signed card, too, I'm sure. Her "Magnolia" soundtrack songs are acclaimed and "Voices Carry" is an 80's radio staple.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Admittedly I haven't watched many Buffy episodes in recent years, but half of those actors I've never heard of and the other half I don't even remember who they played on the show! I really have no interest in collecting autos from the 1 episode guest stars, even if they went on to become more famous down the line.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you have to dig pretty deep to find anything to say about most of the people on that list. Big Grin But as for Amy Adams, I'd love it too, but it's not going to happen.

First of all, she's too big to be affordable, unless she somehow really wanted to personnally join in and was happy to do it. Whoopie has now signed for Star Trek Aliens, but she liked the show. I doubt that Adams cares a hoot about her appearance on Buffy.

Secondly, Jolie signed for Tomb Raider, but she was just really getting started and was not the star she is today. Adams is at her peak and is arguably the best, most versatile actress in films right now. She is about to start a movie on Janis Joplin and is doing her own singing.

Finally, I'm sorry, but if Adams signed it would hijack the whole release. I would want an SMG as much as anyone, but given a one for one, which is the better autograph? Some would say SMG just because it is Buffy, but I'd have to take Adams regardless. Just fooling around, not gonna happen. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There actually would be a Amy Adams Lois Lane autograph from 2006's "Superman Returns" Topps card set...if she'd been chosen for the role back then, which she did try out for. The set had the autographs of Superman, Lex Luthor, and Lois Lane, played by Kate Bosworth.

The movie didn't do well enough to continue that storyline, of course, so when it was rebooted with "Man of Steel", Adams got a second chance and has done well with it. Unfortunately, trading cards for these new Superman movies don't seem to be, well, in the cards. Maybe that'll change of "Superman Vs. Batman".

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
There actually would be a Amy Adams Lois Lane autograph from 2006's "Superman Returns" Topps card set...if she'd been chosen for the role back then, which she did try out for. The set had the autographs of Superman, Lex Luthor, and Lois Lane, played by Kate Bosworth.

The movie didn't do well enough to continue that storyline, of course, so when it was rebooted with "Man of Steel", Adams got a second chance and has done well with it. Unfortunately, trading cards for these new Superman movies don't seem to be, well, in the cards. Maybe that'll change of "Superman Vs. Batman".

Possibly, back in 2006 Adams was not as well known as she is now, so she may have signed. But as for the prospect of cards on Superman Vs Batman, I can't see it happening for a couple of reasons.

It would be an expensive license, the first movie was not good, major cast might be unsignable, and early reaction for the film has been mixed at best.

It's a really funny thing, but these Superman/Spiderman reboots, and some of the Marvel movies are making big box office, thus spawning new movies for the franchises, yet a couple weeks or months later fans who saw them all seem to agree that they were more bad than good. However people keep going the first few weeks and the money ensures another one will be made. Only a complete and utter flop that does not recoup investment will put an end to a potential franchise like John Carter or Mortal Instruments or the earlier Golden Compass and The Seeker.

Oddly enough the card sets that were produced for Mortal Instruments, The Seeker and even Golden Compass were quite good. They didn't make much of an impact because the films flopped, but they are recommendable on their own merits.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Love to see a promo or two of this set!

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Possibly, back in 2006 Adams was not as well known as she is now, so she may have signed.

Considering they got Superman, Lex, Lois, and Jimmy Olsen to sign for that Superman Returns set, it might have actually been contractually bound (like when vegan Natalie Portman had to see her face adorning all of those KFC items when she was Queen Amidala. She didn't like it, but it was part of the deal.). In the long-run, I'm sure Adams herself was glad to not be chosen for the 2006 version, or she wouldn't have the role in the much more successful series going on now. If they can get these DC movies rolling like Marvel, she might get to play Lois for the next decade.

quote:

Oddly enough the card sets that were produced for Mortal Instruments, The Seeker and even Golden Compass were quite good. They didn't make much of an impact because the films flopped, but they are recommendable on their own merits.

Agree completely! Lots of excellent signers in The Seeker and Mortal Instruments. I particularly enjoy the Ian McShane autograph from "The Seeker", a nice picture of him signed on-card by the master just after wrapping his 3 seasons as Al Swearengen on the classic "Deadwood". That set also had the first Frances Conroy autograph (more since in the American Horror Story sets) which is a must for fans of "Six Feet Under" as she was one of the four main stars of that beloved show.

The Golden Compass set had no autos, but really nice pieceworks, including Nicole Kidman, and boasts some of the best design on any of the Inkworks sets. I like the lenticular cards in that set.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

posted Hide Post
I'd be bitterly disappointed if a new Buffy release is filled with signers who appeared on 1 or 2 episodes. I just checked on imdb, and there are 29 actors who have credits in 10 or more episodes, and that doesn't even include key roles such as Wesley, Professor Walsh, Halfrek, Darla, Caleb or Ethan Rayne. Surely the focus should be on the Buffy universe, not on actors who have done great things outside Buffy.

Posts: 26 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm really surprised they're making a new Buffy set at all. I can't imagine this would have happened if Gellar hadn't agreed to sign. I wonder how it happened, like who approached who.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to pass judgement on RHA. However, they are know for having a rather large list of signers for there sets they release.

Point in case, Under the Dome had about 23 signers. I have watched the series and counted that about 10 of those are NOT major characters in the series.

I'm surprised that we haven't seen any promotional items or at least some sort of information advertising the series coming up.

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe it'll end up being a premium set or be issued in premium packs.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Maybe it'll end up being a premium set or be issued in premium packs.

I hope not!
I'm all for opening boxes.... at this point its just a guessing game!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poita:
I'd be bitterly disappointed if a new Buffy release is filled with signers who appeared on 1 or 2 episodes. I just checked on imdb, and there are 29 actors who have credits in 10 or more episodes, and that doesn't even include key roles such as Wesley, Professor Walsh, Halfrek, Darla, Caleb or Ethan Rayne. Surely the focus should be on the Buffy universe, not on actors who have done great things outside Buffy.

There already is an Ethan Rayne card from "Buffy Men of Sunnydale" .
That actor, Robin Sachs, sadly passed away in early 2013, so there could be no new cards of him anyway. I believe he had a card in one of the Alias sets as well.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:
I'm not trying to pass judgement on RHA. However, they are know for having a rather large list of signers for there sets they release.

Point in case, Under the Dome had about 23 signers. I have watched the series and counted that about 10 of those are NOT major characters in the series.

I'm surprised that we haven't seen any promotional items or at least some sort of information advertising the series coming up.

RA generally guarantees multiple autographs in a box, so they have to have a larger signer pool. It's true that sometimes you get an autograph of a guy that stood against a wall in one episode, but in certain products the fans find some value in even that.

With Buffy I think there were more than enough memorable characters, even in small roles, that this is not necessary. I don't see how this reboot works well without bringing back at least some of the Scooby Gang and Spike and the bads, who have already signed for Inkworks. You always need other main cast members because it is not realistic to think that there is going to be an abundance of SMG signatures. So who are else are you buying for, not the actor you never heard of!

Also it should not be too hard to get these people, other than that small group we already know about. Many have signed in a number of hodge podge sets since Buffy ended. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to get them again on a official Buffy card. I sure would.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I love at Rittenhouse puts so much time and effort into getting not just the big stars of a show but "lesser" ones as well. With a show that is off the air I think it is easier to great guest stars and others to sign where with a show like Under the Dome or Falling Skies who knows how long the shows will last or who will be important in future episodes. Also you never know who is going to be a break out star.

Look at Chris Hemsworth. I am sure no one wanted his autograph when he was put in the J.J Star Trek cards. However since they did I have his autograph without having to buy a thousand UD packs to get a Thor card.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Plus, you can just draw a beard and a helmet on the Star Trek Hemsworth card, and viola: instant Thor card!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Here's a list of some notables from the series who never signed (aside from Sarah of course):

SETH GREEN as Oz

AMY ADAMS as Beth in "Family"

AMBER TAMBLYN as Janice in "All the Way"

RACHEL BILSON as Colleen in "Dirty Girls"

SHONDA FARR as April in "I Was Made to Love You"

ALEXIS DENISOF as Wesley Wyndam-Pryce (signed for Angel, but not Buffy)

MICHELLE BRANCH as Herself in "Tabula Rasa"

ASHANTI as Lissa in "First Date"

CLEA DUVALL as Marci Ross in "Out of Mind, Out of Sight"

KELLI GARNER as Kirstie in "The Body"

KATHARINE TOWNE as Sunday in "The Freshman"

MEREDITH SALENGER as Grace Newman in "I Only Have Eyes For You"

RICHARD HERD as Dr Stanley Backer in "Killed by Death"

KAL PENN as Hunt in "Beer Bad"

WENTWORTH MILLER as Gage in "Go Fish"

SHANE WEST as Sean in "Go Fish"

DANIA RAMIREZ as Caridad in 3 episodes

JOHN HAWKES as George in "I Only Have Eyes For You"

ERIC BALFOUR as Jesse in "Welcome to the Hellmouth"

Nice list, some of the ones I've always wished for are there plus there are a lot more,
if it's Feb release there should be a list soon, wondering if there is going to be more than one set ?

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post