Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I got that helpful tip from someone on the Wacky Packages Forum. The method does take you to the UK Ebay site, but happily, the price is also given in US dollars for us Yanks.
Perhaps giving the accepted price is required on the UK site. Obviously, it's not on the US site anymore. I have no idea why they took away something that simply had to help sales, in terms of giving those making an offer an idea as to the kind of offer they could make that would likely be accepted given the seller's previous actions.

Our mantra:
We adapt.
We survive.
We have a lot of cards as a result!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
I agree... the minor characters will most likely change hands at time or two.

So who does everyone class as minor characters?
Surely not the scooby gang, the monsters I would but I can't imagine even Darla or Faith being classed as minor characters. Especially because those two were fairly major characters in Angel, which I still class as being part of the Buffy universe.

As far as the Sketch cards I have seen posted... I would say the Monsters and Mayor Wilkins would fall into that category.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Monsters might end up pretty popular, too, in a sketch set, and there's precedence for that.

In the 2003 Inkworks "Scooby-Doo Mysteries and Monsters" set, the sketch cards depicting monsters are the most valuable in the set, selling at multiples of the regular human characters and Scooby.

The monsters chased by Buffy's crew of "Scoobies", especially rendered so nicely, and in such a limited edition, have the potential to be similarly sought after in the years to comes, particularly true one-of-kinds for a given Big Bad.

I love seeing these Buffy sketches, and this is just another indication that pretty much any sketch set from any popular property, issued in a true limited edition, and using only a select group of fan favorite artists really can't lose. Anyone may reasonably complain at how these were distributed, but the art itself is an absolute good and only adds to the legend of Buffy.
These kinds of sketch sets are few and far between precisely because they don't really make sense from a marketing standpoint, but they are obviously highly valued when they appear.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Everyone was wondering about the quality of these sketches prior to release and so far I have not seen any one of them that I would not be proud to own, so that is saying something. Contrary to probably everyone, the main subjects for me to want would be Spike, Faith and Anya. Sounds strange, but I thought they were the most honest characters and they evolved into good guys despite themselves.

CPK, not really sure what you mean when you say that "these kinds of sketch sets are few and far between precisely because they don't make sense from a marketing standpoint".

First, this was never announced as a sketch set at all. It had a SMG autograph in the product and there was no mention of any sketches until literally the 11th hour. Then no sketches were shown or even an artist list given prior to release. So in terms of marketing, there was no marketing standpoint, there should have been, but there wasn't.

Secondly, as far as making sense, there is no sense. RA handed these beauties out to dealers only as incentives when it was not necessary. Why couldn't a company make money off a set with this kind of quality artwork throughout? Put one sketch in a premium box and sell it for a premium price. As long as they know that they are not going to pull a $10 sketch out of a $100 box, both Buffy fans and just plain sketch collectors would have loved to buy something with sketches like we have seen here. Heck, even I would have taken a chance. Wink

Or do you think that the artists were paid too much per sketch to make this a profitable venture if a company needed enough sketches for a whole limited product run? That could be an argument if anyone knew how much that cost was. I am pretty certain that the artists got nowhere near the prices that these sketches are being sold for on the open market.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sketches were always part of this set. I got my blanks last year. Rittenhouse screwed the pooch by not getting likeness releases from the actors beforehand. All of this should have been done and if they couldn't get them they should have let us know. I hate doing work on spec. This is my last set of this kind, Not worth doing just so stuff gets shat on because the actors couldn't find the proper sized tampon. Unless the companies provide an approved actor or scene list not even gonna bother. waste of time.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:
Sketches were always part of this set. I got my blanks last year. Rittenhouse screwed the pooch by not getting likeness releases from the actors beforehand. All of this should have been done and if they couldn't get them they should have let us know. I hate doing work on spec. This is my last set of this kind, Not worth doing just so stuff gets shat on because the actors couldn't find the proper sized tampon. Unless the companies provide an approved actor or scene list not even gonna bother. waste of time.

I completely understand your point...

If RA was going to have Sketch Cards for this set, they should of received an approved list of what subject matters can be sketched.

I bet you are not the only artist that feels this way...

I would have thought if a card company was going to do a set for any show or movie, they should get a list of approvals for the whole set before planning on anything.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think Rittenhouse ever begins something with the idea of releasing it the way these Buffy cards ultimately were released.

Sketch sets limited to 100 total cards or so drawn by the top artists just aren't usually seen in a full release. They'd need more cards drawn for that, and that means more artists, and that means some who just aren't as good as the artists on this set would've gotten in. (Not referring to Mr. Cover here as his work is definitely up to par). Several different factors went in to this one happening the way it did, for sure.

Other similarly limited, top artist only sketch sets have been seen in "Game of Thrones" and "Disney Treasures" which both had proper full releases. The sketch cards were just very hard to find, especially in "Disney Treasures" which basically saw about 150 sketch cards in each series which were probably produced in the ballpark of 50,000 boxes per series (guessing conservatively, series 2 and 3 runs were likely even higher.)

I think these Buffy sketches were never going to be a box hit even if every single one had been approved. Even had they all been approved and a full set Buffy set issued in packs, they still probably would've only been found one in every few cases or so, as with Game of Thrones, maybe a little more common, like perhaps one per case.

In other words, the Buffy sketches were never going to be easy to get, and if enough of them had been drawn so that they were, the overall quality would have necessarily suffered as sketches from sketch-driven sets usually do. For every Desbois, for instance, there are literally 100 lesser artists actively working on sketch cards. It doesn't mean their work is bad, but their very presence on a set means the set in its entirety wouldn't be a nice as this Buffy set is.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I don't think Rittenhouse ever begins something with the idea of releasing it the way these Buffy cards ultimately were released.

Sketch sets limited to 100 total cards or so drawn by the top artists just aren't usually seen in a full release. They'd need more cards drawn for that, and that means more artists, and that means some who just aren't as good as the artists on this set would've gotten in. (Not referring to Mr. Cover here as his work is definitely up to par). Several different factors went in to this one happening the way it did, for sure.

Other similarly limited, top artist only sketch sets have been seen in "Game of Thrones" and "Disney Treasures" which both had proper full releases. The sketch cards were just very hard to find, especially in "Disney Treasures" which basically saw about 150 sketch cards in each series which were probably produced in the ballpark of 50,000 boxes per series (guessing conservatively, series 2 and 3 runs were likely even higher.)

I think these Buffy sketches were never going to be a box hit even if every single one had been approved. Even had they all been approved and a full set Buffy set issued in packs, they still probably would've only been found one in every few cases or so, as with Game of Thrones, maybe a little more common, like perhaps one per case.

In other words, the Buffy sketches were never going to be easy to get, and if enough of them had been drawn so that they were, the overall quality would have necessarily suffered as sketches from sketch-driven sets usually do. For every Desbois, for instance, there are literally 100 lesser artists actively working on sketch cards. It doesn't mean their work is bad, but their very presence on a set means the set in its entirety wouldn't be a nice as this Buffy set is.

The artist list was limited to whom you see on the set from the get go. The issue isn't quality It's just the actors ego's. Reason we got the email not to do Buffy Angel and Dawn was the actor made a fuss as did the Angel guy. Dawn was excluded from the beginning due to other issues. The Cordelia actress and the other were unseen issues. As I said, all this should have been handled before even printing sketch cards and asking the artists to draw them.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but how much time had you spent on yours? Did any of yours get in?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sketches were always part of this set. I got my blanks last year.

I'm sure that's true Mr. Cover, but it was not public knowledge. The first we heard of sketches in this product was a couple of months before the initial release date, followed by RA saying that the delay was due to sketch approval issues. Before that, the only thing certain about these so-called sets was that each one would have an SMG autograph.

If you look back the many pages of this thread, the first ones are all about possible signers, sketches were not even mentioned until January. At that point it was still supposed to be 400 sketches, enough for one per set. We really didn't get any more information about them until they became dealer incentives and scans started to appear just recently.

I'm sure that the problems with characters was very frustrating to all the artists and RA will be adjusting policies in the future. It's not a good thing for anyone after all.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Contrary to probably everyone, the main subjects for me to want would be Spike, Faith and Anya. Sounds strange, but I thought they were the most honest characters and they evolved into good guys despite themselves.

Well, you're not the only one. Spike and Faith are also two of my favourite Buffyverse characters, I also love Wesley and Fred/Illyria.

Do we know how many sketches each artist did? meaning how many were actually released to dealers.

A few more have popped up

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Juelle Lou,

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's a nice one by good ol' cover right there at the bottom. Thanks for collecting all of the pictures of these, Juelle Lou.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
I think a Sketch card of just Buffy would be up there no matter who the artist is.

I agree, anything with Buffy on it is going to go for the premium price.
The Buffy sketch listing by Kristen Allen had ended when I got up this morning, so I'm thinking it must have sold off of feebay (good for them).
So we won't know how much that sold for to give us an idea of how much a sketch of just Buffy is going to cost.

And, I just picked up my two SMG autos this afternoon!!
Happy dance for me Smile Elephant Clap Elephant

I think that any Sketch card that Features just Buffy will sell in the 4 figures...

Just because of what I heard from people at RA and RA Dealers that there are only 5 or 6 Buffy Sketches that were approved for this set.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Sketches were always part of this set. I got my blanks last year.

I'm sure that's true Mr. Cover, but it was not public knowledge. The first we heard of sketches in this product was a couple of months before the initial release date, followed by RA saying that the delay was due to sketch approval issues. Before that, the only thing certain about these so-called sets was that each one would have an SMG autograph.

If you look back the many pages of this thread, the first ones are all about possible signers, sketches were not even mentioned until January. At that point it was still supposed to be 400 sketches, enough for one per set. We really didn't get any more information about them until they became dealer incentives and scans started to appear just recently.

I'm sure that the problems with characters was very frustrating to all the artists and RA will be adjusting policies in the future. It's not a good thing for anyone after all.

Too bad no one screencapped the original page on Scifihobby. Not sure where the 400 cards number came from. My cards alone if all were approved would have accounted for 1/4 of that number. RA had to adjust to the whole approval issue on the fly at the last minute.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Obviously RA ran into a lot of issues with this set.

I think that is why they released 2 Versions of the SMG / Buffy Auto at the same time...

I believe RA was planning to release a second set with the 2nd version of the auto at a later date but they ran into a lot of issues and decided to release the set this way because it was the best way to go.

But I think we can all admit that Buffy Fans are very happy that finally an official SMG Buffy Autograph is available and that all of the Sketch cards that have been posted are all amazing...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too bad no one screencapped the original page on Scifihobby. Not sure where the 400 cards number came from. My cards alone if all were approved would have accounted for 1/4 of that number. RA had to adjust to the whole approval issue on the fly at the last minute.

At one point it was said that each set would have the 9 stickers, 1 SMG autograph and 1 sketch card. When it was disclosed that 400 sets would be available it was assumed that there had to be at least 400 sketches.

If you had 1/4 or 100 planned, either other artists were very short printed or there were supposed to be a lot more sketches. The idea that RA may have been trying to do two Buffy releases is not without merit, but I doubt anyone will say one way or the other.

I have to say that I have not seen one throw away sketch yet, which I find amazing given the, pardon my saying it, "junk art" that is normally included in every product with sketches. I don't know if that is because only the best work was approved or because it really was all this good.

I am not that interested in sketch sets as a rule, but one per box with this kind of quality would be enough to get me buying. Maybe someone can figure out how to do for real next time.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to say that I have not seen one throw away sketch yet, which I find amazing given the, pardon my saying it, "junk art" that is normally included in every product with sketches. I don't know if that is because only the best work was approved or because it really was all this good.

True, even the super high-end Star Wars Masterwork had some lousy sketches in it which is just obscene given the title of that set.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am not that interested in sketch sets as a rule, but one per box with this kind of quality would be enough to get me buying. Maybe someone can figure out how to do for real next time.

I just wish they could have pack inserted these sketches, even if it was one in four.
Or maybe even something completely different, like having another 100 sets of those stickers and putting a sketch in with them.
Then there would have been 500 sets for RA to sell and you get the chance of getting a sketch or an auto.
At $400 that may seen expensive though, but maybe doing it that way they could have lowered the overall retail price a little, and it would still be cheaper than what the sketches are going for now.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day I do not think anyone will really know what happened to this set...

There was Huge Potential for the set and I think everyone was hoping for something incredible.

But like I said before, we finally have a Sarah Michelle Gellar Buffy Auto and I think that is what a lot of collectors wanted to happen and I really can't complain that much about the way the set was released.

I do wish the sketch cards were handled differently, but what could RA really do?

I think they did the best with what they had...

I am just glad that I finally have 2 Official SMG / Buffy autos in my collection.

I have the SMG Razor Cut 1/1 Auto... which I thought might be the closest I would get to an official SMG Auto, but it does not even compare to these autos.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
A couple more popped up for sale yesterday.
Tim Shay

Mick & Matt Glebe

And Rhiannon Owens posted her entire collection, which I found here https://www.facebook.com/phoenixcollectables

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Juelle Lou,