Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, RA has said nothing about sketches in the upcoming Buffy Series 3.

The exact quote from Charendoff in NSU is "Our goal for Buffy is really to provide collectors with cards that were either never made before or were just incredibly scarce and hard to come by". Then he gave the featured name for Series 3, which is the spoiler.

Its all guesswork from there, but if we are to assume a similar format as the others, rather than focus on the sketch investment that will remain high, I would be more interested in how many more and different SMG autograph cards are ready to drop. Surely she has to be in the mix again, since one featured name does not make enough for even this truncated of a product.

These sketches are terrific and the investment almost guarantees a minimum trading value, but nearly all will go to dealers first. Collectors are expected to buy for the previously missing SMG Buffy signed card. Now she's not missing and the supply keeps increasing. SMG is also doing other things and her autograph is now circulating else where.

That's the part that bears watching in all this. How much is an SMG licensed Buffy autograph going to be worth if every series has a new one? And if it doesn't have a new SMG, how does this set format sell to collectors at all?

Posts: 10355 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Just to be clear, RA has said nothing about sketches in the upcoming Buffy Series 3.

The exact quote from Charendoff in NSU is "Our goal for Buffy is really to provide collectors with cards that were either never made before or were just incredibly scarce and hard to come by". Then he gave the featured name for Series 3, which is the spoiler.

Its all guesswork from there, but if we are to assume a similar format as the others, rather than focus on the sketch investment that will remain high, I would be more interested in how many more and different SMG autograph cards are ready to drop. Surely she has to be in the mix again, since one featured name does not make enough for even this truncated of a product.

These sketches are terrific and the investment almost guarantees a minimum trading value, but nearly all will go to dealers first. Collectors are expected to buy for the previously missing SMG Buffy signed card. Now she's not missing and the supply keeps increasing. SMG is also doing other things and her autograph is now circulating else where.

That's the part that bears watching in all this. How much is an SMG licensed Buffy autograph going to be worth if every series has a new one? And if it doesn't have a new SMG, how does this set format sell to collectors at all?

That is good news after all. Am I the only one who misses a box of cards with 24 or 36 packs with one auto per box? I feel like that was a little more exciting because you never knew exactly what you were getting and you paid a decent price for a CHANCE at a high-end auto.

I think if they did an Inkworks style release more people would be interested and be able to afford it. They would probably insert sketches at 1 per case though, if there were 12 or 10 boxes per case.

I guess only time will tell

Posts: 44 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: December 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Some Upcoming Buffy Sketches

Tim Shay

David Desbois

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
There's news of a 3rd Buffy set in the newest NSU. I won't spoil it here but it is a good one.

Val

I saw it too and won't be a spoiler, but must say this.

If Series 3 is built along the same design as 1 and 2, which it probably will be, it will be the 3rd disappointment for me. Frown

I just got the new issue of NSU and I agree that the main draw for Collector Set 3 is a good one, but I think they're dreaming if they believe they can charge what they did for the first two sets for it unless there's a lot more included. (No price was mentioned in the article just to be clear.)

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
So what is supposed to be in Set #3???

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

I'd know but my magazine has not come yet Mad .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

The precise format of the series isn't revealed, which is why we are just speculating about whether there will be new SMG autographs or sketches or maybe, hopefully, we might get something that is an actual set. I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Wink

The only bit of information given is the name of the featured player who is the new autograph in Series 3, as Hannigan is the new featured player in Series 2.

Now its in NSU and nobody here wants to spoil it because NSU deserves to be read. If you think about, you can guess the name fairly easily. I also agree with Logan. It would be a desired autograph card, but not at the same cost as these previous releases.

Triple-Frog, you'd better call customer service. I thought mine was missing too, but it finally came February 7th, and that was late for me.

Posts: 10355 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Triple-Frog, you'd better call customer service. I thought mine was missing too, but it finally came February 7th, and that was late for me.[/QUOTE]

Already done that, waiting for a reply. Hopefully just a postal mix up.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

The only bit of information given is the name of the featured player who is the new autograph in Series 3, as Hannigan is the new featured player in Series 2.

Now its in NSU and nobody here wants to spoil it because NSU deserves to be read. If you think about, you can guess the name fairly easily. I also agree with Logan. It would be a desired autograph card, but not at the same cost as these previous releases.

I may well guess but I don't know if I've got it right!

Based on Charendoff's premise of trying to offer new things, the major omission from Inkworks run of autographs was Seth Green, so he'd be my first guess. After him I'd go for the obvious fan favourites: David Boreanaz, Charisma Carpenter and at a stretch, Michelle Trachtenberg. The only other I'd say would be worthwhile is Joss Whedon.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I would say a Seth Green autograph would be the top of the list for Buffy collectors...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Boreanaz seems unlikely since he wants to distance himself from the character.

I'd like to see them do a normal set (base cards and some inserts, etc.) rather than these stupid collectors sets that just get snapped up by dealer for the sketches and stuff.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:

I'd like to see them do a normal set (base cards and some inserts, etc.) rather than these stupid collectors sets that just get snapped up by dealer for the sketches and stuff.

Yeah, basically it is a dealer set...

In the hopes they get some great sketch cards that they can sell for high amounts and make their money back plus a lot extra.

As you can see on the bay, some dealers are selling the sets for a bit under $400 and free shipping... a set directly from Rittenhouse is $399.99 plus $15 shipping and I believe a $1.95 handling charge.

Unless dealers who buy multiple sets get a discount on the shipping...???

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen sets at $300 from at least one well known dealer and I still think that's too much.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:

In the hopes they get some great sketch cards that they can sell for high amounts and make their money back plus a lot extra.

As you can see on the bay, some dealers are selling the sets for a bit under $400 and free shipping... a set directly from Rittenhouse is $399.99 plus $15 shipping and I believe a $1.95 handling charge.

$400 is RRP that collectors/non-dealers can pay if they want to buy direct from the manufacturer.
Someone on Blowout was quoting $275 as dealer cost.

I liked Buffy when it started but haven't kept up with card values. What does a Season 1 Hannigan auto go for these days?

I know many people would like to have a shot at pulling these Hannigan/SMG autos rather than cough up outright but is $300 odd really out of whack for these names now for fans of the show? Honest question because I have no idea!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I liked Buffy when it started but haven't kept up with card values. What does a Season 1 Hannigan auto go for these days?

I know many people would like to have a shot at pulling these Hannigan/SMG autos rather than cough up outright but is $300 odd really out of whack for these names now for fans of the show? Honest question because I have no idea!

The first Hannigan typically sells for around $400. The last two "Buy It Now"s that sold a few months ago went for around $500+ but at auction recently one sold for $331, so I guess it's a wide range.

Obviously the interest in the show has cooled a bit over the years since it's been off the air. I thought the SMG autograph would hold more interest and value than it currently does. Maybe over time it will as a print run of 200 apiece for the bordered and full-bleeds are really not a large number in the grand scheme of things. You have to think eventually they'll dry up. But if RA keeps making more of them the values may never recover. I firmly believe though if SMG had a Season One Inkworks autograph it would hold in the high hundreds or maybe even $1000 to this day.

I think there are many factors at work here keeping the values down on these new sets. Collectors may simply prefer the Inkworks ones. They're "vintage" and bring back a certain nostalgia from when the show was still on the air and current, and non-sport collecting seemed to be much more popular. I think nowadays there simply isn't as many rabid collectors as there were back then. Also, as I remember others saying when it was first announced that SMG was signing about three years ago, some may simply not care anymore for actors who couldn't be bothered to sign back then. A SMG autograph at 20 years old when she was red-hot is different to me than one at 40 when she seems to be just wanting to get her name out there and stay somewhat relevant. And then there's the price (and the way it's being released). Collectors had no problem shelling out the $400 for the first SMG autographs but now realized they got burned. Those cards struggle to hold $200-$250 now. Why would we pay $400 again for a yet a third SMG with a print run of 160 more than the first ones? I'm not going to have someone tell me a card is worth $400, so I buy it, then have it actually be worth $225, and then be told to buy another similar one again for $400. Thanks but no thanks. That's my two cents on the matter.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's news of a 3rd Buffy set in the newest NSU. I won't spoil it here but it is a good one.

Val

At least this is progress.
With Topps, you have to actually open the product before you know who is in it.
Here, all you need to do is read an article in the price guide to get that info.
Too bad the manufacturers don't just put this info on their website so we all have it.
Who/what is on the product with promise that the info is accurate. Is that too hard?

By the way, first sketch to hit the Bay.

I love when the description reads "IN-STOCK NOW" and then is followed up by "(released February 22, 2017)". Yet the listing has a scan of the actual sketch and today is Feb 21.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buffy-...f:g:0-MAAOSw32lYrE39

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cubby5454:

By the way, first sketch to hit the Bay.[QUOTE]

And it looks as though there's nothing to differentiate it from the sketches from the first set. The artist lists make it a little easier to tell who did work for what set, but since many of the artists are repeated it'll still be difficult to lock down which set a particular sketch came from. Not that it matters all that much I suppose - but just for those keeping track. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Not that it matters all that much I suppose - but just for those keeping track. Wink

It does matter to dealers who have had to pony up for an additional set to get that sketch in Series 2 and it will matter to collectors who will be asked to pay more to compensate dealers for the increased expense.

Every sketch will be sold based on its own merits of course, but no doubt dealers will at least try to get more for ones in the new batch than those comparable sketches from Series 1. They paid more to get the incentives themselves after all.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:

$400 is RRP that collectors/non-dealers can pay if they want to buy direct from the manufacturer.
Someone on Blowout was quoting $275 as dealer cost.

So I guess it makes sense for dealers to invest in the sets to get sketch cards and hope for the best...

Most likely they will get the money back and more.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cubby5454:
quote:

Val

At least this is progress.
With Topps, you have to actually open the product before you know who is in it.
Here, all you need to do is read an article in the price guide to get that info.
Too bad the manufacturers don't just put this info on their website so we all have it.
Who/what is on the product with promise that the info is accurate. Is that too hard?

By the way, first sketch to hit the Bay.

I love when the description reads "IN-STOCK NOW" and then is followed up by "(released February 22, 2017)". Yet the listing has a scan of the actual sketch and today is Feb 21.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buffy-...f:g:0-MAAOSw32lYrE39

I heard that the sets and sketch cards were delivered today to a lot of buyers/dealers...