Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/7227067046

January 03, 2017, 02:58 PM
Triple-Frog
Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
$400 per set and $2000 outlay to get a sketch Eek Shake Head .

Are Rittenhouse trying to outdo Topps and Upper Deck for super premium releases?

Much as I love Buffy this type of set does nothing for me. I could afford it but there is no way I am paying that much for cardboard and ink. Better things to spend it on, $2000 is about what two weeks in Las Vegas costs me and that includes gambling Big Grin .
January 03, 2017, 03:32 PM
Logan
I'm a bit surprised they're charging the same amount as the first set, considering the first one had the novelty of being the first SMG autographs plus it took 4 sets to get a sketch instead of 5. And the biggest factor being those initial SMG autographs are now struggling to sell for $200-$250. They're probably basing it on how quickly the first one sold out. So for them, why not charge the same? But I am definitely going to be patient with this one and wait til the dust settles before I buy.
January 03, 2017, 05:58 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I'm a bit surprised they're charging the same amount as the first set, considering the first one had the novelty of being the first SMG autographs plus it took 4 sets to get a sketch instead of 5. And the biggest factor being those initial SMG autographs are now struggling to sell for $200-$250. They're probably basing it on how quickly the first one sold out. So for them, why not charge the same? But I am definitely going to be patient with this one and wait til the dust settles before I buy.

All very true, card manufacturers say that they never consider the secondary market values, that essentially one premium hit is the same as the other. Of course that is not the case and both card collectors and card makers know it.

We now have the hindsight of the SMG autograph prices from the first set and we know they have not moved upward. It was the sketch cards that really worked to cover the shortfall. I'm not surprised they kept it at $400, but the number of sets required for a sketch would have been better reduced to 3 than upped to 5.
January 03, 2017, 11:55 PM
MarcG
Even though I would love to get a SMG Auto/Relic card... The overall set is a bust.

I thought they were going to do something special with the set.

Confused

January 04, 2017, 02:00 AM
MarcG
I wonder what the sellers on the Bay will sell the SMG Auto/Relic card for?

If you are paying $400 a set plus shipping and taxes...

I would assume that it would sell around $425 or more for just that card on the Bay.

????

January 04, 2017, 03:24 AM
hammer
I'm assuming there will be fewer Relic cards than the first auto set as not all sets come with an SMG auto (of course I don't know how many sets there are!!!)

If you buy 5 sets to get the sketch do you get 1,2 or 3 SMG Auto's? At least there are cards with the new auto's and not stickers and the metal cards are nice too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,
January 04, 2017, 07:25 AM
WOMBLE
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I'm assuming there will be fewer Relic cards than the first auto set as not all sets come with an SMG auto (of course I don't know how many sets there are!!!)

If you buy 5 sets to get the sketch do you get 1,2 or 3 SMG Auto's? At least there are cards with the new auto's and not stickers and the metal cards are nice too.

It says right at the bottom of the advert in small writing:-

Notes: If ordering 3 sets, you will not necessarily receive each autograph card, since they are not produced in equal quantities. The only way to be guarantee to receive all three autograph cards is to order 5 sets, in which case you will receive 3 Sarah Michelle Gellar autograph/relic cards and 1 of each of the two different Alyson Hannigan autograph cards. Rittenhouse Archives reserves the right to allocate these sets if the total number of orders exceeds 600 sets.

With the dealer incentive sketch cards, it effectively makes it a 'Dealer Only' product.
January 04, 2017, 09:11 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

It says right at the bottom of the advert in small writing:-

Notes: If ordering 3 sets, you will not necessarily receive each autograph card, since they are not produced in equal quantities. The only way to be guarantee to receive all three autograph cards is to order 5 sets, in which case you will receive 3 Sarah Michelle Gellar autograph/relic cards and 1 of each of the two different Alyson Hannigan autograph cards. Rittenhouse Archives reserves the right to allocate these sets if the total number of orders exceeds 600 sets.

With the dealer incentive sketch cards, it effectively makes it a 'Dealer Only' product.

Good spot - so 360 SMG and 240 Hannigan based on 3/5 are SMG.
January 04, 2017, 10:48 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

That is precisely what it is and the only way they can expect a profit is on the sketch incentive because the SMG autograph sold alone is not covering the set cost from the last release.

However RA upped the set requirement to 5, so it now costs the dealers roughly $400 more to get that sketch than it did last year. Bet they are happy about that. Wink
January 04, 2017, 11:56 AM
wolfie
Whatever happened to that old hobby where you spent a dollar on a pack of cards and it had some cards in it. Shake Head

January 04, 2017, 04:20 PM
Chris Byrne
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Whatever happened to that old hobby where you spent a dollar on a pack of cards and it had some cards in it. Shake Head

Agreed!

The only positive thing I can say about this set is the quality of the sketches looks outstanding, and its awesome to see AH to sign again after so many years.
January 05, 2017, 07:56 AM
cardcollectors uk
Hi. Long time no speak Smile I have a customer who wants the set, but effectively it's going to cost me $2000, and after my customer has his cards, all I'll be left with is 2 SMG auto/costumes and 4 mini sets and a sketch.
As no-one but high end collectors can afford the SMG cards, how many will want the one card without the others? Looking on ebay the extra SMG signed cards will put downward pressure on the previous ones, making them effectively a $100-$150 card. the sketch cards may sell for good money if you have a good one, but blind they are about $300. so to recoup you'll need the master set of 3 autos and 5 cards and 7 cards to sell for about $1500 which is double the price of the last series, which just sold for $675. I'm trying hard to justify it but it's tricky Big Grin

January 05, 2017, 09:59 AM
Logan
quote:
Originally posted by cardcollectors uk:
Hi. Long time no speak Smile I have a customer who wants the set, but effectively it's going to cost me $2000, and after my customer has his cards, all I'll be left with is 2 SMG auto/costumes and 4 mini sets and a sketch.
As no-one but high end collectors can afford the SMG cards, how many will want the one card without the others? Looking on ebay the extra SMG signed cards will put downward pressure on the previous ones, making them effectively a $100-$150 card. the sketch cards may sell for good money if you have a good one, but blind they are about $300. so to recoup you'll need the master set of 3 autos and 5 cards and 7 cards to sell for about $1500 which is double the price of the last series, which just sold for $675. I'm trying hard to justify it but it's tricky Big Grin

If you bought 5 sets for $2000, I highly doubt they will bring you back $2000 or more unless you hit a top-tier sketch of one of the girls. And you would need to sell them very quickly while the frenzy is still there, which with the first set lasted about a month or two. I may be in the minority but I don't think the SMG auto/costume will end up being more valuable than her first autographs (especially the full-bleed one). Her first autographs are limited to 200 each, while this new one should have a print run of around 360. Plus the first autographs are almost always more valuable just because they're the first. They'll end up being harder to find in the long run. The Alyson autographs I can see selling for around $200 when the dust settles. So basically I feel the 5 autographs will end up selling for around $200 each after the initial frenzy passes. That's $1000. Unless you hit a sketch that can sell for over $1000 (which is highly unlikely) than I don't see how you can make any money on these at 5 sets for $2000. You need to hit a huge sketch and sell early if you do.
January 05, 2017, 10:47 AM
cardcollectors uk
Thanks Logan, that's exactly what I think.. a new signer like Seth Green would have made this more sell-able for me. I'm interested to hear other dealers feeling on a selling price for a master set of 3 autos and the 12 subset cards, and what others would feel is worth paying. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a huge gap though Smile

January 05, 2017, 10:59 AM
Raven
If I were a dealer, or someone who wanted to take a chance on this, there is only one key thing you must have for a profit. Five customers who want the set from the get go. You can discount the set a bit, as long as you know you have the buyers.

So you get 5 sets with the free extra metal cards and the incentive sketch. You sell the 5 sets for $350, below price. You sell the extra metal set for at least $100. Now all you need from the sketch is $150 to break even. Anything more is profit. Anything more than $100 from the metal cards is added profit. If you can sell the set more than $350, that's more profit. You do need a good sketch of a desirable character to make it worth while and that is the chance you take, but you should at least break even as long as you don't have to wait to sell the sets.

I may be in the minority about this, but I do think that collectors would still prefer the SMG relic over the shorter Hannigan cards, at least I would. So I suspect that sets with Hannigan may bring down the value right now, but her cards may appreciate as time goes on because of the smaller supply. Whereas SMG is more desirable at the start, but really has not appreciated at all so far.
January 05, 2017, 02:26 PM
Logan
Release date has been changed to February 22.
January 05, 2017, 04:21 PM
Triple-Frog
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
If I were a dealer, or someone who wanted to take a chance on this, there is only one key thing you must have for a profit. Five customers who want the set from the get go. You can discount the set a bit, as long as you know you have the buyers.

So you get 5 sets with the free extra metal cards and the incentive sketch. You sell the 5 sets for $350, below price. You sell the extra metal set for at least $100. Now all you need from the sketch is $150 to break even. Anything more is profit. Anything more than $100 from the metal cards is added profit. If you can sell the set more than $350, that's more profit. You do need a good sketch of a desirable character to make it worth while and that is the chance you take, but you should at least break even as long as you don't have to wait to sell the sets.

I may be in the minority about this, but I do think that collectors would still prefer the SMG relic over the shorter Hannigan cards, at least I would. So I suspect that sets with Hannigan may bring down the value right now, but her cards may appreciate as time goes on because of the smaller supply. Whereas SMG is more desirable at the start, but really has not appreciated at all so far.

You are thinking pretty much the same as me, I just don't think $350 is attainable. From the chatter I have seen on other boards nobody wants to pay more than $250 for either auto and after the prices on SMG's cards from the first set levelled off everyone who just wanted the auto was wishing they had waited and that is what will happen this time.

Anyone looking to make a profit has to hope they get a top sketch.
January 05, 2017, 08:06 PM
MarcG
I think when they first hit the bay the SMG auto/relic card will start out over $400...

I would think that most dealers will split up the sets and sell everything separately.

Sell the metal cards separate and then the montage set separate and the auto cards separate and the sketch cards to make a profit on it.

And I believe they will make a profit on it...

January 06, 2017, 12:58 AM
Kryten67
Let The HUNT BEGIN!

Sketches will Be Tough.....

but, I'm working on it.

Most sellers will not break sets. IMO.

There is Still the MAAP :Rittenhouse Archives Minimum
Advertised Pricing Policy (MAPP).

you will probaby see Buffy sets at $400 & Willow Auto sets around $450-$500 ish.

Metal sets probably around 150...( Dealer Sets )

Sketches...the sky is the Limit...they will be few and far between

January 06, 2017, 03:19 AM
Kryten67
P.s.

The Base Cards artwork are the DVD covers......

not really thrilled with that....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kryten67,