Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 73
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
yeah, AP are submitted to approval process at the same time as normal cards; it's different for SW that doesn't require any likeness since actors didn't have those rights in that galaxy far far away
so I don't understand the AP destruction either unless another approval process occurs in the future, and even so, the cast roaster may differ from the original based on previous results
or planning to draw monsters on them...

That is what I was thinking...

Draw something that would not have any issues getting approvals on.

I would assume the Monsters wouldn't have many approval issues.

what's fun about playing it safe, may as well not do any artwork for the sets then.
All the rules and requirements the card companies have heaped on us the last few years has resulted in very mediocre, safe, head shots.
I'd Rather pass on a set than do that nonsense, and have.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:
quote:
quote:
yeah, AP are submitted to approval process at the same time as normal cards; it's different for SW that doesn't require any likeness since actors didn't have those rights in that galaxy far far away
so I don't understand the AP destruction either unless another approval process occurs in the future, and even so, the cast roaster may differ from the original based on previous results

what's fun about playing it safe, may as well not do any artwork for the sets then.
All the rules and requirements the card companies have heaped on us the last few years has resulted in very mediocre, safe, head shots.

I do not blame you...

with all of the work you have to put into the sketches.

I am not an expert on how the whole sketch process works, but it would seem to me that if I was doing a card set based on a TV show or Movie, I would get pre-approvals of which actors or characters are OK to do.

But it seems to me with the Buffy Sketches that certain actors were very picky with what sketches they approved and I think Rittenhouse had to deal with these blows and do the best they could with what they had.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do not blame you...

with all of the work you have to put into the sketches.

I am not an expert on how the whole sketch process works, but it would seem to me that if I was doing a card set based on a TV show or Movie, I would get pre-approvals of which actors or characters are OK to do.

But it seems to me with the Buffy Sketches that certain actors were very picky with what sketches they approved and I think Rittenhouse had to deal with these blows and do the best they could with what they had.

Heh if RA wanted to play it safe they Should have only Hired and paid David Desbois to do all the cards as he's the top artist on these sets, especially when it comes to likenesses. I like doing whole scenes and stuff like that that a lot of artists avoid. If I had any idea the actors were going to be such prima donna's I would have passed on this set. Already went through this with Transformers and Grimm.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Monsters were safe, as long as it was one of the monsters that was pre=approved. There was a short list of monsters/demons that were ok to draw, all others would be rejected so we knew ahead of time not to bother with any non-pre-approved Big Bads.

Posts: 25 | Location: California | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shay:
quote:

Monsters were safe, as long as it was one of the monsters that was pre-approved. There was a short list of monsters/demons that were ok to draw, all others would be rejected so we knew ahead of time not to bother with any non-pre-approved Big Bads.

Posts: 25 | Location: California | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the artists for their replies. It seems to me that, while some approval problems may always exist, this product really pushed it.

One thing, I have never bought an artist proof sketch. It sounds like there is no way to tell if a sketch was seeded or if it was an AP unless you are the first owner. Is that correct, or do some artists mark their APs before selling them?

Posts: 10368 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Thanks to the artists for their replies. It seems to me that, while some approval problems may always exist, this product really pushed it.

One thing, I have never bought an artist proof sketch. It sounds like there is no way to tell if a sketch was seeded or if it was an AP unless you are the first owner. Is that correct, or do some artists mark their APs before selling them?

Rittenhouse adds our names to the backs of the cards for regular Artists proofs. They add a sticker with the words Artists Returns for the Returns. Other companies will print or emboss on the backs the Initials AP or AR or print Artist Proof on the backs. Rittenhouse also prints on the front and back the words artists Proof on the regular AP's like this.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr. Cover, you are most helpful. And your scenes are great. As much as people like the portraits, I like to see background or a couple of characters interacting better.

Posts: 10368 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Thanks Mr. Cover, you are most helpful. And your scenes are great. As much as people like the portraits, I like to see background or a couple of characters interacting better.

Yeah i like big battles and crazy stuff.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Great Stuff Roy...the Scenes are cool.

Thanks for sharing them.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Thank you to Roy, David and Tim for the info on APs, that clears all my confusion up.

quote:
Yeah i like big battles and crazy stuff.

Those are amazing Mr. Cover! It's a shame you weren't able to do something like that for the Buffy license.
Like Buffy and the Scooby gang fighting off a heap of vampires in a graveyard or something, that would have been cool Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Cordelia sketch by the Glebes is up to $865. Eek

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

WoW... There goes my $850 guess.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess it would be safe to say that any sketch that just features Sarah Michelle Gellar/Buffy would be atleast $1000.

The Angel/Buffy Sketch by Desbois sold for $1500...

posted Hide Post
A Rhi Owens Dark Willow sold For $1875. Things are getting crazy now.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really... I did not see that.

WoW!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
So far Buffy Sketch cards have sold for $1875, $1500, $850, $810.52, $750, $750, $637.50, $600, $599.99, $549.95, $499.99, $450, $400, $375 and $179.50 on the Bay...

and Sealed Sketch Cards have sold between $300 - $600.

according the Sold Section on the Bay.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
So far Buffy Sketch cards have sold for $1875, $1500, $850, $810.52, $750, $750, $637.50, $600, $599.99, $549.95, $499.99, $450, $400, $375 and $179.50 on the Bay...

Which one sold for $179.50?
That seems very cheap.

Scratch that, just found it.
It was the sketch of the Master by Roy Cover, definitely a steal at that price Eek

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
quote:

Which one sold for $179.50?
That seems very cheap.

Scratch that, just found it.
It was the sketch of the Master by Roy Cover, definitely a steal at that price Eek

Yeah... a real steal.

The buyer relisted it... trying for a nice flip on it.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I guess it would be safe to say that any sketch that just features Sarah Michelle Gellar/Buffy would be at least $1000.

The Angel/Buffy Sketch by Desbois sold for $1500...

I'm starting to think that was cheap for a sketch with Buffy on it.

quote:

Do you think that is because it's the only sketch of hers so far to show up for sale?