Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/7227067046

January 20, 2015, 07:08 PM
Batman
Rittenhouse: New Buffy Set: Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign.
SMG is the only auto. Why do people think there are more? Confused

January 20, 2015, 07:08 PM
X
I would have thought given the strong prices for many Buffy autos all these years later RA would have tried to get as many of the main players as possible on their great card design.

Surprised it seems more of a sketch set, although at least that's a new angle for Buffy cards I guess.
January 20, 2015, 08:25 PM
Raven
Unless I misunderstood RA's original comments after it was annouced that this would not be a traditional release, each set was supposed to have an SMG autograph and a sketch, along with the small base set. NSU reported "SMG autograph, sketch card and more in each set".

We know that there can be no more sets than the number of cards SMG signed and that number has not been disclosed yet. Now that there is an issue with the approval of sketches, perhaps that will alter what can be included in each set.

I don't know why RA did not trust this title enough to make a proper release. Maybe there were other factors, but I wouldn't call this a sketch set at all. The one and only compelling reason to buy is the SMG autograph.
January 20, 2015, 10:12 PM
Juelle Lou
I agree, something must have happened or changed for Rittenhouse to release this set the way they are considering to start with they were asking about who hasn't signed. Maybe they couldn't get anyone else who hadn't signed for Inkworks interested.

To be honest, even though I'm still trying to finish off collecting the autos for Inkworks' sets, I would have been all in for as many signers as Rittenhouse could get, new or repeats in their full bleed style. I would be wanting to collect a full master set.

As it is now, I'm only getting this for the SMG auto as sketches are not something I collect much.
January 21, 2015, 08:35 AM
Chris Byrne
I checked their website just now...
1. Server error.
Possibly due to their web hosting service

2. No news as of yesterday.
The set is due out next month, and we have NO info, other than SMG is signing.

The advertising for the company seems to have slowed down to a screeching stop.
How are we as collectors supposed to place orders when we have no information and can't ask our stores to order this product?!

If the box contains a set with 1 SMG auto and MAYBE a sketch.
I can see the price being close to $300. Not happening in my book.

Just MHO...
January 21, 2015, 02:21 PM
Justice41
This was just posted by Steve Charendoff on the RA boards:

"Hi, guys. We are simply waiting for the sketch cards to be approved by the studio. This process is not as simple as we'd like it to be, and there have been many unforeseen delays. Once we have these cards approved, and we then know how many sketches we have to work with, we will finalize the Buffy set. Regardless of what happens with the sketches, each set will include a SMG autograph card. All I can ask is that you be patient as we wait for the sketches to be approved. I'm as eager as you are to get that done. Can't wait to move ahead on this."
January 21, 2015, 04:18 PM
Don Norton
When this set was first announced, I imagined a neat 90 card set of quotes, 2 autos and some inserts in a 24 pack box. Maybe a chance of pulling SMG auto.

Now, looks like thee will be close to $300, can't see them selling for less if SMG is in every set, that puts it out of my price range. Have to see what you can expect in a box, if Willow was in there...
January 21, 2015, 05:32 PM
Raven
I find the whole sketch issue baffling. There was hardly any mention of sketches in this product to begin with and there is no list of contributing artists, which is a big part of promoting any release with sketches. Now the studio has yet to approve images, which means that certain actor likenesses are probably off limits. If some of the sketches are declined there may not be enough for the set run, however many sets that is, and perhaps not every set will get a sketch.

So to recap, we are a month from the release date, no product is packed, no artists are known, no print number is stated, no price has been offered and we don't no what's going into the box besides the SMG autograph card.

This could easily have been the biggest release of the year! I mean a sellout in that 6000 to 9000 box range if it had been produced as a complete title. I honestly would like to know what the heck happened. Confused
January 21, 2015, 05:53 PM
poita
Agree with Raven and others, this has gone from potentially one of the most exciting releases in years to something pretty underwhelming in the blink of an eye.

We were clearly told initially that there would be multiple signers and a base set, and I don't recall any mention of sketches until the last couple of weeks.

This looks increasingly like it will be a release available only to those with very deep pockets, which is certainly not me.
January 21, 2015, 07:20 PM
Justice41
Im doing sketch cards or rather did sketch cards for this.
January 21, 2015, 07:39 PM
Hedgehog Witch
Until recently I was really looking forward to this release but I agree with the scepticism at the moment. Supposedly we're about a month or so from the release but no other signers have been confirmed and it seems it's going to be SMG and some sketch cards in a box. Roll Eyes
I really don't like, want or collect sketch cards so that's a big turn off for me, and if it's just SMG in 'sets' as the main 'hit' that sounds way out of my price league too, as like the majority of fans I would have liked a chance at pack-pulling her auto with some of the other cast.

The Buffy and Angel comics are highly popular at the moment and there is still a loyal fan base for the show and new fans coming to it as well; surely something a bit more extensive/ambitious for a set could have been achieved?! Oh well, I'll save my pennies for the GoT4 release instead....as long as that doesn't turn out to be just a Diana Rigg auto and endless sketch cards. Wink Smile
January 21, 2015, 07:51 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:

So would it be giving away too much information to ask how many sketches you did and what subjects you were allowed to use?
January 21, 2015, 08:37 PM
Juelle Lou
I'm starting to think that given the amount of info we have so far and that the sketches aren't all approved yet, it's unlikely to be released next month.
I'd say another delay is coming.
January 21, 2015, 11:20 PM
Chris Byrne
Would it be too much to ask for just ONE image of another card from this set?

I know that we've all seen the SMG auto. Don't get me wrong, it does look good! However, the sales and marketing pitch for this set has vanished.

This could have been a complete sell out. Back to Inkworks standards of Buffy sets, if not more! I'd hate to see a set do poorly, due to delays and lack of promotion!
January 22, 2015, 11:43 AM
Justice41
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

So would it be giving away too much information to ask how many sketches you did and what subjects you were allowed to use?

Yes, yes it would. lol. As noted by the companies President they are going through approvals, so who knows. I could have all my cards rejected. It's a cr*p shoot. This isn't gospel but I'm sure artists like Chris Meeks and the Glebes are on this set as well.
January 22, 2015, 12:18 PM
Sidewinder
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
I'm starting to think that given the amount of info we have so far and that the sketches aren't all approved yet, it's unlikely to be released next month.
I'd say another delay is coming.

I expect a delay now as well. They still have to advertise this and open pre orders to the dealers and until the price is confirmed, this can't be done. What are they going to give? A 1 week deadline for all orders?

What happened to this set? Only SMG signed? They couldn't or wouldn't ask anyone else? Did they pay too much for SMG to sign and therefore had to sacrifice other things to add into the set?

Would have been really fun to have opened a traditional release and we haven't had on of those since Buffy 10th, which was nearly 8 years ago now!
January 22, 2015, 02:48 PM
Raven
quote:
Yes, yes it would. lol. As noted by the companies President they are going through approvals, so who knows. I could have all my cards rejected. It's a cr*p shoot. This isn't gospel but I'm sure artists like Chris Meeks and the Glebes are on this set as well.

Well I had to ask you know. Big Grin

By the way, I pulled one of your SketchaFex cards from Star Trek Alien. I didn't realize you were the artist until I saw the Star Wars sketches you posted. What is the signature, cove or cover?

Anyhow it was a cool spaceship, speckled black on 2 corners, yellow background in the middle and a greenish, winged ship. I don't know the show well enough to name the ship, but it's very well done and now you know where it landed up. Smile
January 22, 2015, 03:31 PM
Justice41
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Well I had to ask you know. Big Grin

By the way, I pulled one of your SketchaFex cards from Star Trek Alien. I didn't realize you were the artist until I saw the Star Wars sketches you posted. What is the signature, cove or cover?

Anyhow it was a cool spaceship, speckled black on 2 corners, yellow background in the middle and a greenish, winged ship. I don't know the show well enough to name the ship, but it's very well done and now you know where it landed up. Smile

Heh, If it's Green it's probably a (Kim) Kardashian cruiser or warship. Last name is Cover. The "R" just takes up space.
is it this one?

January 22, 2015, 05:30 PM
Raven
You have the right sketch Mr. Cover, quite happy to take it out of circulation. Thumb Up

Hope to see some of your Buffy work when it gets approved.
January 29, 2015, 12:50 PM
Logan
It appears the Buffy set will be delayed. Just saw on Rittenhouse's site that they changed the release date from Feb. 25 to "TBA".