Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Galactic Files 2? In August?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Galactic Files 2? In August?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted
I've heard rumblings on another message board about Topps responding to a post on their Facebook and mentioning a Galactic Files 2 set due out in August with more info to come within the week.

August? Really? Too soon after Jedi Legacy. Galactic Files One really must have made Topps some money to fast track a second set within a year. Unless they are setting us up for April 1.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
wow really?

the retail packs are still easy to get and I never finished a base set on GF1 lol

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We've had Galactic Files 2 listed on the schedule of upcoming series for a while:

NSU Website - Upcoming Releases

We're going to have more on Galactic Files 2 in an upcoming NSU. And while on the subject of Star Wars, we'll have an exclusive Jedi Legacy promo at the Philly Non-Sports Card Show on May 4 & 5. We'll have more on Jedi Legacy in NSU too.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
N000000000000000000000000!

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
I heard the rumblings for a while but hoped it was not true. There is tonnes of GF still available so how Topps can call the set a success is beyond me. At $100 RRP a box as well for both JL and GF sets (I assume GF2 will be in the same ballpark per box) these are very expensive sets.

With JL going the same route just months before the planned release of GF2, somethings going to have to give.

I'd be interested to know why Topps is going 3 high premium sets within a 12 month timespan. JL is a very similar set in makeup to GF so it is not as if they are very different types of sets aimed at a different collector.

Look at Galaxy 7, after 3 very good Galaxy sets they ran out of steam for ideas on that one (e.g. smaller base set). Could Topps be over doing it again, only over a much shorter period to the Galaxy sets?

I cannot buy into both JL and GF2 products and I had already pretty much ruled out JL this year. GF2 will probably have to go too. I want to concentrate on filling many of the older holes in my collection but I always seem to get many more instead.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With GF1 - I am just collecting a set of blue paralell (Only 200 to go) and the chace sets - in job lots from ebay -(oh yes and a few sketchs) - I think I will do the same for GF2 and JL

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
We've had Galactic Files 2 listed on the schedule of upcoming series for a while:

NSU Website - Upcoming Releases

We're going to have more on Galactic Files 2 in an upcoming NSU. And while on the subject of Star Wars, we'll have an exclusive Jedi Legacy promo at the Philly Non-Sports Card Show on May 4 & 5. We'll have more on Jedi Legacy in NSU too.

WOW, best news I heard all day. I hope we are setting up for a star wars theme this time around! (not a fan of mars attacks)

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flag City Collectibles:
I hope we are setting up for a star wars theme this time around!

It's been announced already... it is! Thumb Up

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

TED, THANKS! HOW DID I MISS THAT? Where was that announced?

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

TED, THANKS! HOW DID I MISS THAT? Where was that announced?

I can't remember where exactly, but I think it was mentioned a few times somewhere on Card Talk. It's also mentioned in the new magazine (might have been in the last one, too).

Plus it helps that May the 4th is Star Wars Day! Big Grin

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
I even not finish the first series Frown

I think it's too much will all level of chase and autograph line-up for all those series.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
I even not finish the first series Frown

I think it's too much will all level of chase and autograph line-up for all those series.

I agree with you, but I have no problem with two Galactic Files in the same year. Its that we are being hit over the head with all manner of Star Wars cards. Sure they have different names and try to have marginally different themes and breakdowns, but Star Wars is Star Wars. There are seemingly hundreds of minor characters, but the main ones and ones most in demand are going to be the same. So the accumlative effect is that I have seen too much of Star Wars in too short a period of time.

Having said that, its just my own feeling. Obviously if the cards sell well at this pricepoint Star Wars collectors must still want the product. Then Topps has every right to blanket the planet with Star Wars cards five times a year and make lots of money, if that's what the market can absorb.

When collectors want to make a point they have to stop buying, not just talk about it. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of it either-- but as far as cards sets go its not worse than anything else out there-- most hobby boxes of cards are running upwards of 70.00-- and they just keep rolling them out (DC and Marvel collectors know about that)---

And as much as I hate it - at least they havent gone the upper deck route and do the 250.00 a pack sets-- because SW fans would drive those into the 300.00 range or more..

Posts: 29 | Location: Shelbyville, KY | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Beckett has a sneak peek article on their webpage with pics.
Release guarantees two hits per box...auto, sketch, printing plate or medallion card.
Weapons, planets, and key buildings will be included.
The usual 350 base cards, plus various levels of chase.

Smokin'

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Dual Autographs - 5 different cards, 200 total across the entire print run. Han and Chewie is one of them. I will never have one of these but it's impressive nonetheless.

It looks as though if you liked the first set, you'll enjoy this one too. I loved the extensive base set myself.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Due out July 31st? Yikes! I hope they start soliciting for sketches soon!!

This first set was a thing of beauty, can't wait for this one.

I really don't see the problem of multiple Star Wars sets per year. You don't have to buy everything. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Might as well not even mention the dual-auto. Have a better chance getting hit by lightning on a sunny day. LOL

The GOLDS are # to 10. Appears the Galactic Moments chase will expand in GF2.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I'll definitely get some of this, but I won't go nuts like I did on the first set. On that, I wanted a good selection of autographs including at least one big one and a set of the parallel blues, which I was able to get. And by not collecting the sketch and patch cards, it wasn't too expensive to do, but it's too risky to approach many sets that way these days when the larger 12 box cases can mean over a thousand bucks for one of them.

For those who haven't seen them, the Galactic Moments inserts are just simple mirror foil surface chase cards, but the pictures on them haven't been seen a million times like most other vintage Star Wars photos, so they were fantastic, all in black & white, except for the lightsabers which were in color for a striking effect on the few that featured them. They were also only 4 of those per box, but from a 20 card set which means only 2 sets per case, so it's nice to see a set that is not only well made, but also not wildly overproduced like most other "basic" inserts. I'm glad to see them doing it again, and it's a nice bit of added continuity between the two sets.

1,400 print plates in the packs this time means they will fall in every 8th box, assuming around 11,000 hobby boxes are produced, so a great chance for collectors to get a plates from a favorite character or even try to assemble 4 card plate set, the honest way, haha

Medallions instead of patches for series 2 means there will probably be the short prints with them like they were with the X-Wing and Snowspeeder Pilot patches, good for collectors and re-sellers alike.

This'll make three consecutive sets in a very short period with a total of 4 new kinds of inserts (not counting the double autographs) for Star Wars cards:

patch cards (GF1)
costume cards (JL)
film cards (JL)
medallion cards (GF2)

...all essentially taking the place of the traditional sketch or autograph hit found in the average box of Star Wars cards over this past decade.

The boxes now promise 2 hits (albeit under the expanded definition of them) but for only 1 1/2 times the price, so the move towards the premium pack model has certainly begun.

In the old days, for about $80 your two boxes and their two hits would've also come with 72 packs in all at 36 per box.
Once the pack count was reduced to 24 packs per, it still meant 48 packs over in two boxes. Now, they've doubled the hits so each box has two (with the new varieties of them), but for your $80 bucks or so, you get only 24 packs with the two hits.

I don't know about single Premium packs ever happening on Star Wars, but the $200 four pack super premium box (with one hit per pack) could very well be coming down the pike. Topps has a lot of experience with the high end on their sports card side. If there's non sport brand that could support something similar, it's Star Wars which is riding higher than ever given all the recent publicity. Star Wars 7 is predicted to make 2 billion dollars worldwide which will get Disney half the money they paid George Lucas for it back right out of the gate, and that's if it's mediocre! It could well make more if it is good.

Back to the GFII base set itself, I hope there are unannounced variations like last time.
Hopefully, there will still be at least 150-200 character cards spread out over the 6 movies, Clone Wars, and expanded universe. The first series had 240 character cards, but was still missing plenty. The location and vehicles cards were nice in the first set, but the character cards were the highlight for me, for sure.

It's amazing how popular Star Wars card have, especially these last two decades. Hard to believe this is the 20th Anniversary of the original Star Wars Galaxy set.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back to the GFII base set itself, I hope there are unannounced variations like last time.
Hopefully, there will still be at least 150-200 character cards spread out over the 6 movies, Clone Wars, and expanded universe. The first series had 240 character cards, but was still missing plenty. The location and vehicles cards were nice in the first set, but the character cards were the highlight for me, for sure.

According to Cardboard Connection:
quote:
Like the first release, the 2013 Topps Star Wars Galactic Files 2 base set once again comes with 350 cards. While characters still play a major role on the checklist, the second set also has subsets for place, planets and weapons. Content comes from all six films, the Clone Wars and the Expanded Universe. Parallels include Blue(#/350), Red (#/35), Gold (#/10) and Printing Plates.

Should be enough there to keep the base set collectors working on their sets for awhile.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

I haven't seen a checklist but I suspect it'll be very character-heavy in the base set still. The info I got from Topps said a pack had 5 character base cards, 3 subset base cards (assuming those are the planets, weapons, etc) and 1 insert.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post