Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kringle Kards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This set and this thread must have been active right before I got back into card collecting full blast so it was new to me yesterday. I didn't realize how wide ranging it is in style from from horror to pin-up (for everybody) and to the expected traditional. Someone with at least a mini-master set of those Santa sets from the 90's (TCM, 21st Century Archives) who picked up a pack or two back might have been horrified/secretly delighted.

I would expect 5Finity to run with the idea of a set of "Mrs. Claus and Santa's Helpers" but maybe they thought it was covered by this set.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Anastasia Catris:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Big Grin What's good for the goose is good for the gander! Big Grin

But I can just picture the look on the face of the guy who pulls that Catris sketch. Eek

Haha, thank you Raven :P I do hope that they like it. I did some smaller female pin ups for the set but thought it would be fun to add a little diversity to the mix Wink

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "what is a promo card?" theme has become a running commentary in several of the threads now, whether the subject started about promo cards or not.

I apologize for attempting to strike up discussion on a discussion board. What was I thinking ?

quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Full of "sound and fury, signifying nothing". Wink

Please explain what you mean by this Billy Shakespeare reference.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
quote:

My attempt at a joke. To me in this context it's a lot of opinions, but no answers. All this talk dissecting the nature of promo cards and where it should apply and where it shouldn't, even in threads that aren't about promo cards.

And no matter how much it's discussed, in no matter how many places, there will always be cards that can legitimately be called both ways and people who will make their own judgements. So in the end, you're right back at the start with the same question. Big Grin That's what I meant.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's part of what makes promo collecting interesting. Figuring out whats what and talking to others about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pcetodd,

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah that's part of what makes promo collecting interesting. Figuring out whats what and talking to others about it.

I think it is an interesting conversation because frankly I don't understand. I remember a conversation I was having on Card Talk with someone who was miffed that it was so expensive to acquire all the promo cards from a crowdfunding campaign because the promo cards were in an expensive tier. . .

The collector wanted these cards simply because the campaign called them promo cards, which I found interesting because to me they weren't really promoting anything -- they were part of the purchase. To each his/her own!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Remember everyone, only certain people (who in their mind) are allowed to talk here(even thought it is called Card TALK). Ever since I have been here in the late 90's there has been a person or two who think they are the authority and the rest of us need to submit. One will leave and a new one will take their place. Best just to carry about your business and ask away!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's Shakespeare? I heard it on "30 Rock." You know, Tina Fey is a good writer too.

Jess

quote:
quote:
The "what is a promo card?" theme has become a running commentary in several of the threads now, whether the subject started about promo cards or not.

I apologize for attempting to strike up discussion on a discussion board. What was I thinking ?

quote:

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Stupid high school English class poisoned my brain with bits of Shakespeare. I flushed out all I could but some stains remain...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No, Todd. Reading Shakespeare is good for you. It can increase your Jeopardy scores.

Jess

quote:
Stupid high school English class poisoned my brain with bits of Shakespeare. I flushed out all I could but some stains remain...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the Kringle cards and with several years having gone by since the release, I think it is a fun set reminding me of the Comic Images sets of the 90's but with a decidedly more irreverent twist. I understand why some might say that the packs could have been separated so that a customer could pick the theme (pin-up, horror, guns, or traditional) but then maybe all the horror or pin-up ones would have been bought by now. I see a pack floating on "the bay" right now. Someone reading about the set now might like to roll the dice and buy that pack hoping for a particular theme. Because the packs weren't separated by theme, that buyer has the same chance at what he wants as someone who bought them when they were new.

I have to agree with Breygent that it would seem unlikely that a parent would buy a $50 art card pack for a kid. In any case I think a 21st century kid has heard and seen more objectionable material by the fifth grade than any of these cards so they weren't going to be what sends him to a therapist.

Jess

posted Hide Post
This set wound up being far more horror oriented than I was interested in.

I just looked at the sketches I have from this set -- I pulled them all from packs.

54 sketches
35 horror/angry
12 traditional
4 pin-up
3 humor

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:

I just looked at the sketches I have from this set -- I pulled them all from packs.

54 sketches
35 horror/angry
12 traditional
4 pin-up
3 humor

Why did you buy so many packs before realising you were not intrested. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

54 sketches
35 horror/angry
12 traditional
4 pin-up
3 humor

Why did you buy so many packs before realising you were not intrested. Eek

I bought them at a price I couldn't refuse.

Also there are 2 sketches per pack. This was 27 packs in a single purchase.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Ah right thanks.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I would have expected more traditional and pin-up cards than that.

Jess

quote:

54 sketches
35 horror/angry
12 traditional
4 pin-up
3 humor

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I think it keeps up with the trend of turning everything nice into something horrible: murderous clowns, any animal/object that scifi channel turning into a killing machine, satanic santa.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
That's interesting. I would have expected more traditional and pin-up cards than that.

Jess

quote:

54 sketches
35 horror/angry
12 traditional
4 pin-up
3 humor

Kringle Kards came out in 2014 and as I remember it, they were quite unique in their non-traditional designs. A lot of the artists used seemed to be new to sketch cards and Breygent gave them a wide berth to be creative. Just looking back on these 6 pages of photos, most people could find at least a few really questionable drawings that wouldn't be to everyone's taste. That's why I think blind pack buying was difficult.

But some sketches were wicked in fun ways and some were very well drawn and quite imaginative. As I seem to have said at the time, I wished Breygent had made more of an effort to allow collectors to know what type of sketch they were getting just because they were pushing the envelope so far and probably went a bit too far with the gorier ones. However it was an adult product and the pictures were out there.

Overall I don't think Breygent had that much financial success here. Just another one of their good ideas that made for interesting cards we can still collect, but couldn't keep them in business because they were too specialized to manufacture fast, cheap and in high demand.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw one or two unopened packs of these for sale last year around Christmas but didn't see one this month - haven't seen many sketches for sale either. It might be a good time for someone to consider assembling a set for next year.

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by t.breyer:
quote:
specialized to manufacture fast, cheap and in high demand.

RAVEN

None of our sets were specialized to manufacture fast, cheap. We spent more than any company would on all our sets.Look at the props, costumes all the promos made for each set.

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kringle Kards came out in 2014 and as I remember it, they were quite unique in their non-traditional designs. A lot of the artists used seemed to be new to sketch cards and Breygent gave them a wide berth to be creative. Just looking back on these 6 pages of photos, most people could find at least a few really questionable drawings that wouldn't be to everyone's taste. That's why I think blind pack buying was difficult.

But some sketches were wicked in fun ways and some were very well drawn and quite imaginative. As I seem to have said at the time, I wished Breygent had made more of an effort to allow collectors to know what type of sketch they were getting just because they were pushing the envelope so far and probably went a bit too far with the gorier ones. However it was an adult product and the pictures were out there.

Overall I don't think Breygent had that much financial success here. Just another one of their good ideas that made for interesting cards we can still collect, but couldn't keep them in business because they were too specialized to manufacture fast, cheap and in high demand.

Hey Tom,

Glad you're back in the card business.

From your last post I think you took a part of my comments about Kringle Kards out of context, so there it is above, along with the last line.

As you can see when you re-read, I was not saying your cards were "manufactured fast, cheap and in high demand". I was saying exactly the opposite about Kringle and really all of Breygent's card products. My opinion is that they were made too well to be fast and cheap and that is what ultimately caused Breygent to fall behind lesser card makers who sold inferior cards and made more money doing it.

Breygent was at the time, and still is, my favorite card maker and I have quite a lot of your cards in my personal collection. I have praised Breygent in numerous posts on Card Talk over the years if you look and even told you so at the NY ComicCon when we met over Dexter. I hope that settles any misconception you may have formed. Happy New Year! Smile