Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Ebay EU VAT Charges
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay EU VAT Charges
 Login/Join

posted
I notice that ebay are now charging VAT on all UK purchases from the EU. Strange as I understood that the application of VAT on platforms such as ebay and other online buying was still to be clarified.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I noticed that today on an auction in Holland. Who pays this extra 20%, is it on top of your bid?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just seen that, looks like we pay if importing from EU as it has the price + vat ?

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
buyer pays the VAT
Here in NZ we have had to pay GST since xmax 2019
It is easy as it is just added to the invoice but if you have a forwarding address it gets more complicated we have to save all our E Bay receipts and enter them ourselves
And if the seller uses a different format it becomes a pain in the A
This is possibly brought on in the UK by Brexit

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Odd. I thought the new trade deal meant we didn't have to pay extra when buying from the EU.
Maybe ebay had set up for applying VAT in case of no deal and haven't taken it off again.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not ebay looking at ways of cashing in some how

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It's showing on usa auctions now.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Odd. I thought the new trade deal meant we didn't have to pay extra when buying from the EU.
Maybe ebay had set up for applying VAT in case of no deal and haven't taken it off again.

I guess the problem is a deal which was struck at the last minute, 1246 pages long and which has to be read by legal experts (who are probably off on their holidays anyway).

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
It's showing on usa auctions now.

The USA thing was going to happen anyway, also items below £15 were exempt pre-2021 but it seems that is no longer the case for commercial products.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if VAT is being applied automatically by USA ebay, does that mean there will no longer be custom charges and hold ups when they get to the UK. If so, it will actually be cheaper as one won't be paying Royal Mail £8 a shot to collect the VAT.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have to say no chance of me buying anything off ebay from outside UK in the future Frown . I had already stopped buying from the USA but still got cards from Canada and Australia that never had customs charges .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
This may help, and from what I see here, I think eBay may be wrong...

https://www.royalmail.com/brexit

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Have to say no chance of me buying anything off ebay from outside UK in the future Frown . I had already stopped buying from the USA but still got cards from Canada and Australia that never had customs charges .

I've had customs charges from both Canada and Australia. If you haven't, you were lucky.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Imagine the Joy for royal mail collecting more £8 "handling fees"

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Looking at the Royal Mail link and then onto the government link from there, it might work out a bit better. It looks like goods under £135 won't, or shouldn't, be charged VAT. That's better than the current £15 value.

I'm not sure ebay ever get anything right. I will never understand how they can get away with charging 10% final value fee on the postage you charge even when you don't use ebay postal services. Hence I always sell on £1 offer weekends.
Anyway back to the VAT customs...it could work out OK. But it might take a while for every department to catch up. I've never known Royal Mail, HMRC or any of that lot to be in a hurry to do anything. Probably worth watching what happens from the first proper week into 2021 coming up.

In regards to Royal Mail it's more of a headache selling overseas, because last Sept they added yet another 'zone'. The USA is in a zone all by itself now and costs more than sending to Canada. How or why that happened I don't know.
Other than buying from people in the USA whom I know will be kind on the customs form Big Grin I won't be dabbling overseas much. And I limit the sales I open to overseas too; even with tracking it's just a headache.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay so I decided to TOFTT and purchased a card from the USA. It was listed as $74 on the US website with shipping and $88 looking at it on the UK site. Purchase cost with VAT was £68. Even if I am stung by Royal Mail, the card doesn't sell for less than £100 here so I don't feel I will lose out due to the experiment. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If this story on the BBC News website is anything to go by, a lot of places may soon stop selling to the UK so the subject could become mute anyway Smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like this is becoming a bigger story generally well beyond trading cards . Will be interesting to see if anything changes over the next six months as more people complain to their MP's , both in the UK and the EU .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I just got a package from America today. The customs form says value $30. There was no customs charge attached.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just purchased a sketch card from France i was charged €7 vat by ebay let's see what happens when it arrives ?