Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star wars illustrated
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star wars illustrated
 Login/Join

Picture of paul hart
posted

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a long time to wait between Star Wars sets. Eek

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, there is that little Galactic Files II set coming out in late July between Jedi Legacy and Illustrated...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Well I collect all Star Wars cards since 1977. I only need a few cards like Ford to finish my master sets.

After the first Star Wars Galactic Files came out and knowing this set will cost me again $$$$ I decided to stop collecting Star Wars sets.

They made finally new type of cards on a positive note but it's now bigger and bigger sets that are also very expensive and almost impossible to complete.

Topps will never get my money on they Star Wars licenses anymore. I am sad in a way to have made that decision because I love Star Wars so much but knowing that I can no longer do master sets with Star Wars and need to pay $$$$ to do a set then I am happy to put my money on other sets that I can finish and will not cost me a small mortgage.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, why buy them in the first place?
With your skills, you can just make you own!
Smile

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Thanks chesspieceface for the nice comment. All my concept are still digital.

And I also still need the money to purchase the license which is even more expensive for creating the cards Smile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
More spinning Star Wars . . . ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
What a surprise!
Topps with another cash-grab Star Wars set.
Good to see no matter who holds the Star Wars license, Topps will continue to regurgitate the same stuff with no innovation whatsoever.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Interesting set - but too many issued this year - will have to give it a miss.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
This looks like an interesting set. My question is about the panorama sketch card, I´ve understood this is a bigger card than normal, how do You store it? Can I store it in a normal album?

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
never understood the concept that if a collector did not or could not acquire 1 card that that individual would stop collecting all of that topic????? if it's your passion then one should follow that passion and enjoy whatever is out -as long as it fits into the budget - just my opinion - probably should have kept it to myself

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salama:
This looks like an interesting set. My question is about the panorama sketch card, I´ve understood this is a bigger card than normal, how do You store it? Can I store it in a normal album?

I just realized the panoramic sketch card was in Indiana Jones Masterpieces. I found a question about card storage which is of vital interest to me when it comes to card collecting. Here:

"What is the preferred method for storing the panorama cards?

I am worried about creases from leaving them folded up in a normal size card sleeve.

Ultra-pro sells archival safe postcard sized (holds up to 3 11/16 x 5 3/4 cards) soft sleeves & large toploaders that would fit them... you could then store them in a two pocket page."

I need to check these out. Thanks.

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I just realized the panoramic sketch card was in Indiana Jones Masterpieces. I found a question about card storage which is of vital interest to me when it comes to card collecting. Here:

"What is the preferred method for storing the panorama cards?

I am worried about creases from leaving them folded up in a normal size card sleeve.

Ultra-pro sells archival safe postcard sized (holds up to 3 11/16 x 5 3/4 cards) soft sleeves & large toploaders that would fit them... you could then store them in a two pocket page."

I need to check these out. Thanks.

If you're going to put them in top loaders inside the pockets, you'll want the Ultra Pro 2 pocket pages. The holders would stick out of the pockets of the of the 3 pockets pages, at least if the kind you are talking about are the stacked rows of three horizontal pockets like the ones I have.

The pockets in those are pretty much exactly the same as the card height. The larger pockets in the 2 pocket pages will allow for the top loader with some room to spare. I have seen some 3 pocket pages where there are two vertical pockets on the bottom of the page and a horizontal pocket at the top of the page for a total of three pockets, but for some reason, the plastic they use in those kind is especially thin, so the pages kind of flop around when they have something in them.

Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Salama:

If you're going to put them in top loaders inside the pockets, you'll want the Ultra Pro 2 pocket pages. The holders would stick out of the pockets of the of the 3 pockets pages, at least if the kind you are talking about are the stacked rows of three horizontal pockets like the ones I have.

The pockets in those are pretty much exactly the same as the card height. The larger pockets in the 2 pocket pages will allow for the top loader with some room to spare. I have seen some 3 pocket pages where there are two vertical pockets on the bottom of the page and a horizontal pocket at the top of the page for a total of three pockets, but for some reason, the plastic they use in those kind is especially thin, so the pages kind of flop around when they have something in them.

chesspieceface, thanks for the tip, this will help a lot.

posted Hide Post
Really excited for the base set of this product.I wanna purchase a few boxes, but with only 1 hit / box at $80 or so it seems a bit steep?

That being said, looking at the numbers that cardboard connection posted on the checklist
http://www.cardboardconnection...trated-trading-cards

Anyone else feel the same?

Posts: 40 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: August 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Secret Audio Club, welcome to the board!

$80 per box is a real risk on thse since the film cells are so prominent in the "hits" ratio. Panorama sketches are nice, but just because they're double sized doesn't necessarily mean they'll all be good drawings. I think Topps Non-Sport has used them only one other time, on a Indiana Jones set a few years back, and there were some real stinkers in there. The sketchagraph drawings are usually pretty good, but even a few of those, I've seen and thought, I sure hope the actor signed the cards before they saw the subpar drawing on it. Sketches on those should be better than sketches on regular sketch cards, not around the same, and absolutely not worse.

A one hit per box product at $80 would be fine for Illustrated if you replaced the film cells with autograph cards or more panoramas or even regular sketch cards. I'm surprised they're having the film cells this time, as nice as they are, because they turned out to be a drag on Jedi Legacy whose $80-$90 two hit boxes are now widely available for $60. It's hard to count the film cells as a "hit", and most don't, hence the unsold boxes of Jedi Legacy, every single box of which contains at least one, with some holding two and no other hits of any kind.

They are plentiful and almost certainly use film bits from the 1990's Special edition re-releases. They're not even the original celluloid prints from 1977, 1980, and 1983, which would have been much preferable. 15 year old film strips are not exactly relics in the classic sense.

Still, the base and regular inserts sound fantastic and for me are a must. One nice thing about the proliferation of case and multi-case breakers and re-sellers is that on most sets you can get a mini master of all the regular chase and inserts for around the cost of one box or less. It's a nice option to have, and it happens with most sets that are produced in any quantity these days.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Hi Secret Audio Club, welcome to the board!

$80 per box is a real risk on thse since the film cells are so prominent in the "hits" ratio. Panorama sketches are nice, but just because they're double sized doesn't necessarily mean they'll all be good drawings. I think Topps Non-Sport has used them only one other time, on a Indiana Jones set a few years back, and there were some real stinkers in there. The sketchagraph drawings are usually pretty good, but even a few of those, I've seen and thought, I sure hope the actor signed the cards before they saw the subpar drawing on it. Sketches on those should be better than sketches on regular sketch cards, not around the same, and absolutely not worse.

A one hit per box product at $80 would be fine for Illustrated if you replaced the film cells with autograph cards or more panoramas or even regular sketch cards. I'm surprised they're having the film cells this time, as nice as they are, because they turned out to be a drag on Jedi Legacy whose $80-$90 two hit boxes are now widely available for $60. It's hard to count the film cells as a "hit", and most don't, hence the unsold boxes of Jedi Legacy, every single box of which contains at least one, with some holding two and no other hits of any kind.

They are plentiful and almost certainly use film bits from the 1990's Special edition re-releases. They're not even the original celluloid prints from 1977, 1980, and 1983, which would have been much preferable. 15 year old film strips are not exactly relics in the classic sense.

Still, the base and regular inserts sound fantastic and for me are a must. One nice thing about the proliferation of case and multi-case breakers and re-sellers is that on most sets you can get a mini master of all the regular chase and inserts for around the cost of one box or less. It's a nice option to have, and it happens with most sets that are produced in any quantity these days.

Yeah. I actually liked the film cells from legacy and bought one on eBay for $7. I also got ended up getting a ewok and jab as sail barge for about $23 each on eBay. Still may get a box of legacy now that the price is down to about $60 to get the base set and take a chance on something fun.

I thought I heard somewhere that the film cell relics in illustrated are from the original releases, Hesse why they are considerd a premium hit.

With all that being said I thin the base set for illustrated is fantastic, so ill probably pick up a box or two - but may wait to see if the price dips a tad.

Posts: 40 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: August 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The advertisement for the upcoming issue of Star Wars Insider that is coming out at the end of October mentions free Star Wars Illustrated cards exclusive to the magazine. Must be a similar promotion to the one they did with the promo cards for Star Wars Legacy a few months back. That'll be issue #145 for interested persons.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Not that anyone has been talking about this release, but I thought I would chirp in on the hobby insert ratios. I would expect the types of hits to be much more even as we did not take into account retail product. Stated odds on retail packs are 1:107 for sketches and 1:80 for film cels.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
The less film cels available for the hobby release the better. Not so for the sketches but if it means a couple more boxes in a case with a sketchagraph, that's fine.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post