Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Upper Deck Being Sued... By Upper Deck?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Deck Being Sued... By Upper Deck?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
From Sports Collector's Daily...

quote:
Upper Deck International has filed suit against the U.S. subsidiary known to most North American collectors, seeking damages after it says CEO Richard McWilliam's actions cost them millions and caused more than ten dozen overseas employees to lose their jobs.

The case stems from the Yu Gi Oh! trading card saga that played out in court three years ago. The issue, however, wasn't over according to UDI. In fact, the Netherlands-based company claims its nightmare was only beginning.

The whole story is on their site:
Sports Collectors Daily Story

This one sounds like it could spell the end of Upper Deck as we know it...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That story is a bit vague on the details. Not even sure how it works when a parent company is trying to sue its subsidiary. And how is UD operating now with the same CEO if UDI is blaming the sub and penalties have not been paid according to the article? If UDI is the parent company doesn't it control the CEO of any subsidiary?

Is there a lawyer in the house? Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who works for Upper Deck, so I would be very sad for him if they end up closing. I think that Ed is right, though -- when a company sues itself, something is not right.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is UDI publicly owned or something?

I'll admit sometimes they put out decent products, but after the whole Marvel Masterpieces 2 debacle I dealt with I honestly have no remorse if they fold. Their "holier than thou" attitude is finally biting them.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i wont miss them,i have never bought any of there cards.the company seems a little dodgy to me!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Maybe those non-sport releases will be dumped sooner than we figured...popcorn time!

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Disney needs to wash their hands of UD and give their business to Rittenhouse.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Finally somebody get mad with the "Recycled Artwork". It looks like Konami really check their products quality and respect their fans.

Ted Dastick Jr., I will never forget the "wannabe" Marvel Masterpieces. It is interesting Komani noted in 2008. The same year of the Masterpieces Series 2 & 3.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Is there a lawyer in the house? Big Grin

As a matter of fact there is: http://www.cardboardconnection...onal-sues-upper-deck

(I'm not the lawyer but the author of the article is.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ryan Cracknell,

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Ryan that's an interesting read. You have to wonder how long other companies will continue to do business with any part of UD if there is so much uncertainity about its legal and financial future.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
It was funny how the author compare it to a Jerry Springer family dispute.

Waao! Your brother or sister give you some money to buy a Twix to share the candy bars, but you end buying a Snicker for yourself. Smokin' Twak

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
I have a friend who works for Upper Deck, so I would be very sad for him if they end up closing. I think that Ed is right, though -- when a company sues itself, something is not right.

Jason,

I have two freinds who worked for this company at it's UK offices. They lost there jobs. I hope that no one other than the people responsible for this debacle lose their jobs but something has to be done to rectify what is now a joke company to many and try to stabalise what is left for the remaining employees.

The saga continues and I will not by a single item from Upper Deck until they steady the ship.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post