Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Leaf to Make Custom Cut Autographs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaf to Make Custom Cut Autographs
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
I follow them on Facebook:

quote:
Leaf will be unveiling its custom cut/ executive collection cut program in Atlanta next week. Turn your cut signatures or autographed items into cut signature cards... and add value!!!!!!

(only authenticated autographs) PSA or JSA only... we can walk it through one of them for you at their fees..

The first of example of every signature we receive goes into a 1 of 1 design. Each additional of that name goes in a standard design. SO, if you act quickly, you can get 1 of 1's of your favorite personalities which should yield nice $$$ or save you $$$ from buying pack issued 1 of 1's..

They also said they will NOT cut a trading card to make a trading card. Roll Eyes

What do you think? Is this a good way to go with an autograph collection? Or does it actually ruin the value?

I'm betting it won't be cheap either.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
If a person spends the money to buy a signed document, then spends the money for it to be authenticated, WHY spend more money to destroy the document and put the autograph in a trading card? Yes, this is what trading card manufacturers do, but if I had the money to buy a document like that, I'd want to frame it and put in on the wall.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good place for forgers to have their items authenticated. I mean cut signatures are pretty sketchy to start with. This can only lead to more mistrust in the hobby. I started collecting autograph trading cards because I felt there was no other place safer to get an authentic autograph other than getting the autograph your self

Posts: 522 | Location: New York City | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sort of an interesting concept -- certainly isn't for me, but I'm sure a lot of sports card guys will go crazy for this -- lots of 'em will rush to get 1/1s.

I could be interesting for that person looking to add that missing autograph card to their collection -- SMG from Buffy comes to mind, the problem is the design probably isn't going to be anything spectacular.

It could also work if you had autographs you obtained in person -- although I have no idea how expensive it is to get these authenticated by PSA. When I was a kid we'd go to the Chicago Bears training camp -- I have tons of autographs on beat up sheets of notebook paper. This could be an option for something like that. . . but I personally wouldn't spend the money to have it done.

At least they are trying something new -- kudos for that!

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who occasionally buys Razor/Leaf slabbed cuts (favorite is Boreanaz/Deschanel dual) I have to say, I think this is a TERRIBLE idea.
a.) This will decrease the value of Leaf/Razor Cut products which already don't hold up well.
b.) The design for the cuts is ugly IMO.
c.) I'm not sure how authentication will work. Leaf is teamed up with BGS which is teamed up with JSA. I think currently the Leaf products are only authenticated by Leaf which to me isn't one of the respected names in the autograph authentication world (JSA/PSA/etc.). If they are able to work out some deal with JSA or PSA (ie. Prominent Cuts) then it'll be slightly better.
d.) The idea that the first one to be slabbed is a 1/1 and then subsequent ones are just executive makes absolutely no sense from a collectors standpoint, yet somehow the card with the "1 of 1" designation and the uglier design will demand a premium if sold on the secondary market. Also, unlike current Leaf Cuts there will be no serial numbering of the cuts (ex. Cut 23/26)- and unless BGS makes a population report, the "rarity" will be: I) speculative and II) fluctuating
e.) It's already possible to make your own Cut or Cut card and have it slabbed/authenticated by JSA or PSA.

Summary: I don't see the point

PRICING: $39.95 for 1-9
$35.00 for 10+

Executive-

1/1-

Posts: 33 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Changing the name to Leaf isn't going to make an already dubious authenticating process any more reliable.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that this "cut signature" idea has evolved into a process for making autograph items that no one can sell into something that is supposed to authenticated, rare and valued at multiple times the cost of the source material.

In my opinion the only good reason for any manufacturer to produce a cut signature is when the person is deceased. Obviously they aren't available for in person signings. If a living person is just a tough autograph, what makes anyone think that the cut is the answer, especially since it still has to be taken from something and these authentication systems leave a lot to the imagination.

I think this is just another gimmick to make money by appearing to add legitimacy. Plus these so-called cards are slapped together like a kindergartner's art project and are plain ugly looking.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think this is just another gimmick to make money by appearing to add legitimacy. Plus these so-called cards are slapped together like a kindergartner's art project and are plain ugly looking.

Agreed. Unfortunately, these products are selling. Worse for me is the thought of the historical documents they destroy to extract a badly cut auto of great people from the past...

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
great idea! not!
the phrase money for old rope comes to mind.

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leaf released the rest of the information on this:
-Items must be already authenticated by PSA/DNA or JSA
-The back of the card will say which service authenticated them
-First authenticated signature of a person [in the calendar year] is upgraded to a 1/1
-Autographs already in trading card form won't be accepted
-Items can't be any larger than 3x1.875x0.125 (so I guess you have to make the cut yourself?)
-Population Report will be available online and updated weekly

They're selling it by saying that it increases the value of the PSA authenticated Taylor Swift signed CD booklets from $50 to $160...

I stand by my prior statement that this is dumb.

Posts: 33 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post