Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    True Blood: Premiere Edition
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Blood: Premiere Edition
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madcollector:
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:
I personally like the style and landscape format so I won't mind if they are all like the Skarsgard. I also want them that way so they can match if I do a display for them.

Unfortunately, they can't all match if they are like the Skarsgard card. The picture is from a Season 2 promo, and they only made similar promo portraits for 10 of the actors.

But they can all match if they are all landscape design, if they all use a dark palate, or black backgrounds with silver autographs. For example, something like the 258 West black variant autos would match the Skarsgard one quite nicely and none of those used the publicity photos.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madcollector
posted Hide Post
quote:
But they can all match if they are all landscape design, if they all use a dark palate, or black backgrounds with silver autographs. For example, something like the 258 West black variant autos would match the Skarsgard one quite nicely and none of those used the publicity photos.

I hope they didn't do that. I don't think the images would match well at all. In my opinion, the difference between the stylized posed shots and the others would be unappealing. I would prefer two different types, like RA did with the X-men 3 card set. It used the ultra close up promo shots for the main characters and its "standard" approach for the others.

RA has problems simply cropping a photo without distorting the image. I can only imagine what horrors may occur if they attempted something more complex.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: madcollector,

Posts: 84 | Location: USA | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I personally like the style and landscape format so I won't mind if they are all like the Skarsgard. I also want them that way so they can match if I do a display for them.

Unfortunately, they can't all match if they are like the Skarsgard card. The picture is from a Season 2 promo, and they only made similar promo portraits for 10 of the actors.

I hope they didn't do that. I don't think the images would match well at all. In my opinion, the difference between the stylized posed shots and the others would be unappealing. I would prefer two different types. Like RA did with the X-men 3 card set. It used the ultra close up promo shots for the main characters and its "standard" approach for the others.

But again, the X-Men cards all had the same orientation, the same graphics where the auto is and the same color pen used for the signatures. I do disagree with you about the black background as black is very forgiving for action shots and screengrabs, as well as fitting well with the themes and color schemes of the show. I think that a black background could look really good for the so called "standard" shots- look at Vampire Diaries where some of the pictures were promo stills but others were screengrabs, and yet they all looked great on a dark gray background and cohesive as a set. It really depends on the graphic designer- I think that the black background would be really nice and a deliberate change from everything that RA has done before. However, that is just a difference in taste. Regardless of that, my point was hoping that there won't be too much of a mismatch and that the set looks cohesive, as I plan to make a display of this set and mismatching would be very annoying for me.

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The problem with the black background is that every spec shows up on it. If your scanner, top loader and penny sleeve aren't completely clean it will show up on the card.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
The problem with the black background is that every spec shows up on it. If your scanner, top loader and penny sleeve aren't completely clean it will show up on the card.

Very true. I do like the look of black cards with silver ink, but every speck does show up in a scan, even though the cards look great in person.

I pulled this one last week from Contenders Hockey:

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RA has posted that they just received back Anna Paquin's autograph cards:

http://www.facebook.com/Ritten...23893&type=1&theater

Sharp looking card! Thumb Up

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Nice looking card.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Definitely a nice looking card. Too bad they will have vertically and horizontally arranged autos though.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've all ready posted my preferences, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I am a little disappointed in this- I wish that there had been some consistency in at least the orientation, if not the color scheme.

I'm thinking I may just buy the Skarsgard and a box or two if the rest of the autos are like this- I'm getting really tired of full bleeds and I'm not going to be able to make a display as easily as I had hoped.

Picture of madcollector
posted Hide Post
The Paquin card is indeed very nice. That is my favorite photo of her.

I also like the vertical orientation. I hope the 6-case incentive Skarsgard card is the only one that is horizontal/black.

I think the lack of a season designation is a good idea. In future sets, they can go back and get signers they missed and still have all the cards match.

Posts: 84 | Location: USA | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Wow, I hope all of Anna's autographs are like that. That signature is a vast improvement over her RA X-Men autograph, much closeR to the cards she signed for TOPPS.

-Goethe

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would like to get some of this but between the and more signers at the bottom of the autograph list and the introduction of the extremely limited autograph as of late I may give this a pass. I personally prefer quality over quantity.

Posts: 193 | Location: Ca | Registered: June 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich65:
I would like to get some of this but between the and more signers at the bottom of the autograph list and the introduction of the extremely limited autograph as of late I may give this a pass. I personally prefer quality over quantity.

Weird, this is the one release that I'm not concerned about the difficulty of the top cards. In my opinion the mid level and even lower level autos are much better than most releases, I want them all and in this case quality and quantity overlap.
It's been quite a while since I've ordered a full case of anything, but I've already pulled the trigger on this. I really think I might go for a master set

-Goethe

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted Hide Post
I thought about buying a case but there are only 4 or 5 autos I want and only 2 of them are high end so the cost of the case would be more in this instance then the cost of those autos.

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I was so happy to hear that Rittenhouse was finally doing a set with autos, but now I'm just disappointed that they are releasing it so close to Game of Thrones.
All my money went into Fringe, then the rest that I had left went into Game of Thrones with nothing left for this set.

I wonder if there will be a marked difference in orders for this over the sellout GoT was due to people like me (who love both shows) not being able to afford both.

I'm really starting to believe this is just a hobby for rich people Frown
And yes, I fully understand the 'you don't have to buy everything straight away' mindset. But with these mainstream sets with huge fan bases, these cards become very rare and expensive very quickly, and become almost impossible to find after a few months. Just look at the way BBT went.

I think in the end all I will be able to afford is to pick up the few autos I want, which unfortunately will be the most expensive ones Smile

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:
I was so happy to hear that Rittenhouse was finally doing a set with autos, but now I'm just disappointed that they are releasing it so close to Game of Thrones.

It's not really that close, if the release date holds True Blood will come out 7 weeks after the Game of Thrones release date, there are 2 other releases from RA in between GoT and TB.

-Goethe

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post

So is there a Northman auto in packs and an incentive?

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
quote:
Originally posted by Rich65:

Weird, this is the one release that I'm not concerned about the difficulty of the top cards. In my opinion the mid level and even lower level autos are much better than most releases, I want them all and in this case quality and quantity overlap.
It's been quite a while since I've ordered a full case of anything, but I've already pulled the trigger on this. I really think I might go for a master set

You may want to roll with the "Archive Box" on this set if you can afford it and get everything in one fell swoop.

I was able to pre-order a Game of Thrones Archive box for about the same price as 2 cases, and I'm glad I did as looking at the individual components, I'm not sure I could get them all bit-by-bit for the price I paid, and that's with the market being saturated with them currently. Some of the GoT autographs have a tremendous upside (particularly those of the young actors), so while a lot of the more common autos will eventually settle in at about $10, there are a good chunk of them that will almost certainly accrue in value as the series goes on and characters become more important to the overall story (plus certain actors may not sign for future sets, which will add to the collectibility of autographs from the premiere edition)

I mention all of that because I feel the same thing will happen with the premiere and subsequent editions of "True Blood" cards. While the show may be getting a little long in the tooth (haha), it will certainly be on for a couple more years, and I can't imagine there won't be at least one more card set after this first one.

I like it that this premiere edition covers the 1st four seasons all at once. If it is successful as I think it might be, there could well be a set for Season 5 (which has begun quite promisingly) all by itself.

This really is a new Golden Age for Rittenhouse Archives, who instantly became one of my favorite companies with their premiere edition of Twilight Zone over 10 years ago. And considering they are the minds behind the Fleer/Skybox non-sports sets (many of them classics), the brain trust at RA are soon to enter their third decade as some of the best friends non-sports card collectors have ever had.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
So going by Rittenhouses sell sheet,

Does this mean this,

was just a mock up?
Because someone asked on facebook and they replied that there will only be one version.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well this is the Paquin they posted on their facebook so I don't think anyone knows what's going on with this set.