Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones Iron Anniversary (Rittenhouse)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Iron Anniversary (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
If i was the company i would refuse to pay the artist if they could not be bothered to sign properly and just do initials or a squiggle.

I would too. We'd both probably get sued or go bankrupt. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Would be nice to see the checklist on this soon.

I doubt RA would want to delay longer than June 9th because of Iron Series 2 running so close, but who knows if they are having more printing problems. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but this release seems to have been treated pretty low key so far.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
If i was the company i would refuse to pay the artist if they could not be bothered to sign properly and just do initials or a squiggle.

I vote Wolfie for world trading card manufacturer president!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

I vote Wolfie for world trading card manufacturer president!

So Mr Bond, my worldwide domination moves a step closer i think. Cool

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
new release date June 16

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ctacker:
new release date June 16

Same one week delay as with Picard. Probably going to blame the printer again, although all inquiries are unanswered so far. I think its tough to promise a 7-day window if there is a problem. It worked with Picard, but this is a bigger release. My Spiddy sense is tingling, but I hope they don't go over.

At least drop the checklist, I have to update. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
At least drop the checklist, I have to update. Big Grin

Talking to the wall again. Big Grin Inside a week to release and still no checklist. Must be a record for RA on a traditional set.

Watch the hundreds of inscriptions be blamed for slowing it down, but do we really need every inscription, from every signer, memorialized on the checklist when most don't earn a premium over others from the same signer and the number of copies is just a range anyway? I could do without it, if it means seeing a checklist before the breaks start. Wink That's a joke, but it may be close here.

posted Hide Post
Prelim checklist is up:

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...cklist.cfm?SetID=373

And it's clear this is only half a set. A lot of the inserts are odd-numbered. Have to wait for Series 2 for the even numbers.

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not yet, all the standard autograph cards are TBA. They listed at least some of the Quote and Relic/Autographs, which is for Bean, Clarke, Dinklage and Harington. You know, the ones you aren't going to pull. Big Grin

Some of those quotes are so long, I can't wait to see how, along with an autograph, they are going to fit on the card. There is something to be said for a nice, clean signature too. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ctacker:
And it's clear this is only half a set. A lot of the inserts are odd-numbered. Have to wait for Series 2 for the even numbers.

Yes, Iron 1 & 2 is constructed like one big set. But it's not just the inserts, it's the base set too. It runs several cards for one character, than skips several numbers and picks up with another character for several cards. The gaps will be filled in by Iron 2.

In for a penny, in for pound. Now you see why checklists can be interesting. It's not really a 99 card base set. It's 198 cards in two-parts.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Autograph section is up, 92 names, multiple inscriptions, several Turner's, no Christie or Madden again. I can see only 3 new signers, commons, James Cosmo, Steven Cole and Karl Davies.

posted Hide Post
To be honest there is a shocking lack of quality here. The whole set has sold on the basis of the Clarke autographs. I guess the dealer (who will probably get all of them) will be asking a fortune for them to make some money. Even the Turner inscription we be classed as VL based in the numbers.

Glad I didn't go all in on a case.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Only two cards in the whole set I'm interested in getting.

And still no Adele Smyth-Kennedy full bleed.

This is weak.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
When you look at the number of inscriptions a lot of people have done and the possible range of each inscription, I don't know, that looks like a lot of product. The list is also changing. Yesterday it opened with 92 autographs, today it says 73 in that section. Don't know who or what was removed, as the list was too long to make last night.

I have a feeling that RA outsmarted itself by making this set so complicated, with a split set that they did not let GoT collectors in on until the last few days. People who are satisfied spending money trying to find a Clarke or Dinklage will buy it. Beyond that, I am very surprised that there is so little I as a GoT card collector want or need here.

posted Hide Post
Looking at the numbers, I think there must be about 100 Clarke autographs, which based upon the 99 bonus parallel sets per 20 cases means the odds are 1 per 20 cases. To make it worthwhile for the dealers they will need to be guaranteed at least 1 per order to cover their costs due to the overall weakness of the product. I think the chances of a collector pack pulling one are zero and dealer prices will start at $2.500.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Oh well, at least I can get closer to completing my Eugene Simon collection, that's his first blue card there. Wink Big Grin

Of course all the interesting cards are in the 'scarce' category. As for the rest, barrel, bottom, scrape, comes to mind.

I'll try to pick up the new signers, but not for silly money. The past few sets have been diluted and weak, I already had both Clarke's autos from S1 and S2, pack pulled(no kidneys needed to be sold!), so I have nothing more to go for here.
I normally look for Sean Bean's cards too, but the quotes aren't that great and his dual is a bit uninspiring too. My wallet will be happy, though. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the logic in providing a quantity range where the ranges are so small.

If they can specify a variation has only 1 card, why state a range of "1-5" for another? Just say there are 3 or however many!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I don't understand the logic in providing a quantity range where the ranges are so small.

If they can specify a variation has only 1 card, why state a range of "1-5" for another? Just say there are 3 or however many!

Now that RA has cornered the market on this inscription gimmick, while others are trying to ride their coattails by incorporating them into their products, I find the whole thing has lost its charm and just overinflates prices further. The inscription is now a design choice, rather than being something special that a signer added out of a whim. A common inscription from a common signer, regardless of quantity range, means no more to me than his or her clean, unadorned autograph card. Yet it is priced higher by default.

If you have to pay more money just because there is an inscription, why shouldn't the maker pick 1 - 3 really nice inscriptions per signer and have all the cards done that way? Wouldn't that make for a better card from everybody? This business of having 39 different inscriptions (that's Conan Stevens) is dumb and you can see what the checklist looks like as RA tries to record every utterance and declare all to be rare.

Add up the Stevens' totals and you can have 800 cards or more with an infinitesimal chance of pulling the inscription you would preferred, even if by some miracle you find the card. Most of them total big numbers when you stop cutting them up.

To me inscription cards are a good idea that has been diminished by the overkill and the desire of sellers to keep finding a reason to convince buyers that they should pay more. At least for the common inscriptions of common signers I think people are catching on to it. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Autograph section is up, 92 names, multiple inscriptions, several Turner's, no Christie or Madden again. I can see only 3 new signers, commons, James Cosmo, Steven Cole and Karl Davies.

Thank you for this distillation of the new signers. I'm delighted to find I need only 3 low end cards from this set to keep my autograph set current. Clap

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Thank you for this distillation of the new signers. I'm delighted to find I need only 3 low end cards from this set to keep my autograph set current. Clap

Yes, I think I told you once before that I'm doing the same thing as you to keep it somewhat complete, at least one autograph from every signer. I don't care about what design.

But I have to say that I think there may be glitches in the checklist. For one thing, they keep playing with it. First it was 92 names, then 73 names and they made other sections for different designs. Now the inscription autographs don't have any number given for the section.

There doesn't seem to be an inscription listed for Gemma Whelan, even though her name/card is still on the original ad page. I also find it hard to believe that Sophie Turner gave them hundreds of inscription autograph cards, but her totals have a 200 - 300 range on top for "Sansa Stark" and 9 more cards each with a 10 - 25 range. Did she really do around 300 of them as a minimum?

I can see where this list could easily get muddled between what is going into Series 1 and held back for Series 2. Anyway I will be checking on it again as things can come and go and how would we know anyway. Wink

BTW did you notice that Emilia Clarke has zero dual autograph cards. Something big has to be in Iron Series 2 besides Harington inscriptions and I would venture to guess that its going to be her duals with Dinklage, Harington and Headey.