Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Game of Thrones Iron Anniversary (Rittenhouse)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/6977043596

April 21, 2021, 01:01 PM
Raven
Game of Thrones Iron Anniversary (Rittenhouse)
This is good news or bad news, depending on how you look at it. Emilia Clarke has co-written a comic book and seems to be taking some role in the Marvel universe, apparently on the the Disney+ channel.

Any connection with Marvel might further enhance demand for her GoT autographs. It will be more exposure in any case.

On the other hand, Marvel on TV could be seen as another step down in her post GoT career. Other big name actors have gladly taken the money to slum in Marvel and DC characters and returned to serious productions. This might feel more like its the best she can do to some people. Yeah, I'm one of those. Wink

Don't get me wrong, her autographs are very important to Got, but I just think that it's a case where the character was the attraction and the actor was secondary to the role.
April 21, 2021, 06:35 PM
Hedgehog Witch
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Don't get me wrong, her autographs are very important to Got, but I just think that it's a case where the character was the attraction and the actor was secondary to the role.

Ah yes, that would be why they ditched Tamzin Merchant after they shot the pilot and recast with Emilia, anyone could have played the part. LOL Clearly not. Ye gods, Tamzin Merchant for 8 seasons...unthinkable!? Eek Big Grin That would have been a VERY different Daenerys and not at all like the one we got.

I'm not sure Emilia is exactly the next Cate Blanchett or Judi Dench, far from it, but she took the part of Daenerys and wrung out of it all the writing gave her. She fit the part...horses for courses. It might be her one defining role, but I'm not sure she's too bothered. Big Grin After surviving two brain aneurysms, I'm pretty sure she's had a lot of perspective(that's how she comes across in interviews, anyway), to follow the things she's interested in as they come along, regardless of how 'big' they might be. It's not like she has to work again if she doesn't want to. The Marvel thing seems like something that would be a lot of fun, mostly.

Either way I'm not sure the first thing on her mind is whether or not to keep signing a few more trading cards for a minority bunch of nerds(us), nor how much they might be worth in the future. Big Grin Wink Cool Big Grin
April 22, 2021, 10:51 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I'm not sure Emilia is exactly the next Cate Blanchett or Judi Dench, far from it, but she took the part of Daenerys and wrung out of it all the writing gave her. She fit the part...horses for courses. It might be her one defining role, but I'm not sure she's too bothered.

So we agree, the character was what fit.

I was a fan of Headey's long before GoT. She is always one of the best things in good and bad productions. Cersei may also be remembered as her defining role, but she is watchable in her own right regardless of character. That is the difference to me.
April 22, 2021, 12:02 PM
Hedgehog Witch
Not even Lena could save the utter rubbish that was "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". Big Grin
April 22, 2021, 12:18 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Not even Lena could save the utter rubbish that was "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". Big Grin

Well I said she was watchable, not that you should watch. Big Grin Headey has always been, shall we say off the beaten path. In many ways GoT was the most mainstream thing she ever did.
April 26, 2021, 02:37 PM
Logan
Series 2 already listed on the RA schedule for Fall 2021. Eek
April 26, 2021, 02:58 PM
Raven
I read that on another forum, but couldn't find where it came from. In the latest NSU Series 2 is predicted as 4th quarter 2021.

If Iron 1 comes out June 2nd as scheduled, I can see a mid-November or December release, but not before. If these were regular $80 boxes I could say maybe, but they cost twice that much. RA should have waited till next April to drop Series 2 and it still would have been two sets in a twelve month period.

If they had an abundance of other titles I could understand the rush to release better, but maybe its the license. Anyway GoT card collectors intending to buy Series 1 are going to hold back even more to have something left for Series 2, not to mention the holiday spending.
April 26, 2021, 05:36 PM
Logan
quote:
I read that on another forum, but couldn't find where it came from. In the latest NSU Series 2 is predicted as 4th quarter 2021.

On the Rittenhouse site, here's the link to their release schedule:

https://www.scifihobby.com/releaseschedule-full.cfm
April 26, 2021, 06:33 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:

They really are technically both right. The 4th Quarter of 2021 is the Fall of 2021. Winter doesn't officially start until late December, so it could come out in October and still be in the same Fall and 4th Quarter. I still think mid November or early December.

This is how it's gone. There will have been 13 GoT sets made after this year. The first one was released on 6/6/12. There was 1 set, 1 season for every consecutive year through 2016. There were 2 sets in 2017, but one was a season and the other premium Valyrian. Back to 1 season/set in 2018, then the 1 premium set InFlexions in 2019. In 2020 there was 2 sets with the Final Season and Complete. Now 2021 will have 2 sets, both the premium Irons.

I'm just guessing. but it's possible that RA got a 10 year license in 2011 to run through production in 2021. This is the only year they are putting out 2 premium sets back to back. And let's face it, what much is left to cover either in base cards or autographs?
April 26, 2021, 09:22 PM
Raven
Iron Series 1 pushed back one week to 6/9/21.
April 29, 2021, 02:44 PM
VinnyH
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:

They really are technically both right. The 4th Quarter of 2021 is the Fall of 2021. Winter doesn't officially start until late December, so it could come out in October and still be in the same Fall and 4th Quarter. I still think mid November or early December.

This is how it's gone. There will have been 13 GoT sets made after this year. The first one was released on 6/6/12. There was 1 set, 1 season for every consecutive year through 2016. There were 2 sets in 2017, but one was a season and the other premium Valyrian. Back to 1 season/set in 2018, then the 1 premium set InFlexions in 2019. In 2020 there was 2 sets with the Final Season and Complete. Now 2021 will have 2 sets, both the premium Irons.

I'm just guessing. but it's possible that RA got a 10 year license in 2011 to run through production in 2021. This is the only year they are putting out 2 premium sets back to back. And let's face it, what much is left to cover either in base cards or autographs?
Could also be that, hopefully, they can continue with the prequels coming out. Stars like Matt Smith and whoever the cute female stars are could keep RA going.
Just a thought,
Vinny

April 29, 2021, 03:34 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by VinnyH:
Could also be that, hopefully, they can continue with the prequels coming out. Stars like Matt Smith and whoever the cute female stars are could keep RA going.
Just a thought,
Vinny

Yes, quite possibly. I couldn't see why RA wouldn't lobby to do cards on the prequel show. It's not like they have a wealth of new titles lined up.

I just don't know if its the same license or they need a new one, or if some other card maker might not swoop in with more money and try to grab it.
April 29, 2021, 10:11 PM
chesspieceface
I'm just trying to stay current with at least one autograph from each signer having never really collected the regular base 'n chase, so with these new releases of GoT, my only interest is new signers. If it ends up being 10 or so, that's good for me. Something to chase without spending a lot to do so. I'm hoping they'll surprise us with Davos.

I will watch the spin-off(s), but don't plan to collect those autographs if there ever are any.

April 30, 2021, 11:06 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I will watch the spin-off(s), but don't plan to collect those autographs if there ever are any.

I have a similar feeling, little difference. I'm not sure I would even start watching the show and I would pick up some main actor autograph cards, but not collect the autograph list in general.

I also approached GoT with the goal of having at least one card of every signer. I'm not sure RA could dig up 10 new signers for Iron and, besides getting the unlikely Cunningham and Pascal, who would be worth buying? There are quite a few repeat signers who have still not come out in all designs and those darn inscriptions, which are priced higher than what they are worth.

It's been fun following this one title in cards for a decade, but I'm never doing it again. Big Grin
May 04, 2021, 05:28 PM
Raven
So RA has posted a scan of Emilia Clarke's inscription card reading, "Mother of Dragons". Addy and Turner are also pictured. I liked Turner's "I'm a slow learner, but I learn".

If nothing else it shows that Clarke actually did cards recent enough for the design. Her autograph is now basically the two initials, neither of which look like a E or C. Wink

This will be her biggest card without a cut and relic, although I would still prefer her Season 1 and Season 2 autos. Not good signatures, but better than this.
May 04, 2021, 06:11 PM
Logan

May 05, 2021, 03:51 AM
mykdude
quote:

This didn't really hit me until I saw her in other things. She is not good. I feel the same way about Harrington as well.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I'm just trying to stay current with at least one autograph from each signer having never really collected the regular base 'n chase, so with these new releases of GoT, my only interest is new signers.

I have been pretty much in the same boat. There is just too much redundancy to chase a card release season after season. Now I have a wide spectrum to pick and choose which signature cards I like and/or can afford.

Although the description is awful as to what this release actually is I am assuming from the signature list that this may be some sort of recap set? Hopefully covering several if not all of the GoT seasons?

If so I could have some interest in something condensed although they just released complete. Which had an asinine 100 card subset inserted at 2 per box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

May 21, 2021, 08:13 AM
gmmk1964
I see Series 2 is slated for a Fall 2021 release. Now it really feels like RI are squeezing the last of the juice out of this license before it expires.
May 21, 2021, 09:27 AM
wolfie
If i was the company i would refuse to pay the artist if they could not be bothered to sign properly and just do initials or a squiggle.

May 21, 2021, 09:49 AM
Logan
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
If i was the company i would refuse to pay the artist if they could not be bothered to sign properly and just do initials or a squiggle.

I draw a distinction if the that's how the actor always signed their name. Then I can tolerate it (but just barely Big Grin). But if I see previous cards (talking to you Kit Harington) or nice 8 x 10's where they sign a full name but now choose to just do initials or a scribble...because I guess they feel like a seasoned autograph-signing veteran who has earned the right to do so... then that I have a problem with. Mad Take some pride in your signature like the old Twilight Zone actors. Angel