Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    alien anthology sigourney weaver auto card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

alien anthology sigourney weaver auto card
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Happy you enjoyed it.

I have the Goldstein card; but, after talking to my brother about it, we decided to leave it out as it really does not fit with the rest of the cards.

I also thought of putting in the Al Matthews(Apone from Aliens) full bleed auto card from RA's James Bond but once again opted to leave it out as he looks totally different from when he appeared in Aliens. Originally, I had entertained the idea of including cards from A3 and A4, but ultimately we decided to go with the first two films which in my opinion are the best of the series.

Thanks to "X" for pointing out that the Weaver dual card was more affordable than the single Weaver auto card, and so decided to go that route. That card had been the stumbling block for a while.

When my brother and I put this display together, we used transparent photo corners on all the cards so the cards are not permanently attached to the mat and thus are not damaged in any way. This makes it easy to swap out any card if a need arises. By the way, the image can be enlarged by clicking on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: space phantom,

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by space phantom:
I have the Goldstein card; but, after talking to my brother about it, we decided to leave it out as it really does not fit with the rest of the cards.

Since you did include two autographs from non-Alien products, I would disagree with your brother. True, she doesn't look like the character and it's a different franchise title. However Vasquez is one of the roles that everyone remembers in Aliens. Goldstein played her and there is no other card choice.

Just MHO, I only have two of your Alien cards shown, the dual Cartwright/Skerritt and the Holm, so I'm way behind. Big Grin

Posts: 10356 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Since you did include two autographs from non-Alien products, I would disagree with your brother. True, she doesn't look like the character and it's a different franchise title. However Vasquez is one of the roles that everyone remembers in Aliens. Goldstein played her and there is no other card choice.

Just MHO, I only have two of your Alien cards shown, the dual Cartwright/Skerritt and the Holm, so I'm way behind. Big Grin

Hi Raven, I agree with you. Ms. Goldstein made that role her own and she was definitely memorable.

At one point in the set-up, I actually had the idea of superimposing an image of her as Vasquez over the Trek card, but it never came to pass. So I left her and Al Matthews out as well as Aliens auto cards of William Hope and Colette Hiller. On Hope I had the Weyland key card auto and I just couldn't fit it into the photo corners and Hiller's auto card was too thick to fit. Also, as you go bigger, it gets very expensive and the size of the display gets out of hand. For now this will do; but, you never know- one day I may upgrade.

Keep up the hunt for the rest of your Alien cards; that's where the fun of collecting is.

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I only went after a couple of the UD Alien signed cards because I have quite a few Alien/Aliens actors on certified cards from other titles. I will take any card that has a signature I'm looking for and often prefer the lesser titles for the cost difference. I guess that's why mixing cards for a single theme doesn't bother me.

As to your observation about the Weaver dual costing less than the Weaver single, that is very much in line with autograph collecting in general. If you have common signatures, bundling can improve the value, but when you have bigger names, adding another person or multiple people will reduce demand and often the price. Buyers don't really want those other one or more signatures and they don't want to pay a premium for lesser add ons, even though they may have a common thread.

The same thing happens with signed baseballs. For example a single signed Mickey Mantle on the sweet spot will go for much more than a team ball that has a few other Yankees and Mantle on a side panel. The other players, although notable, detract from the focus of what the collector really wants if Mantle is the main interest. They may still buy the team ball, but not for the sum of all its parts.

The other thing is that with sticker autographs, creating dual and triple cards is just too easy. So there is that too.

Posts: 10356 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you all. Happy you enjoyed it.

I also thought of putting in the Al Matthews(Apone from Aliens) full bleed auto card from RA's James Bond but once again opted to leave it out as he looks totally different from when he appeared in Aliens. Originally, I had entertained the idea of including cards from A3 and A4, but ultimately we decided to go with the first two films which in my opinion are the best of the series.

Thanks to "X" for pointing out that the Weaver dual card was more affordable than the single Weaver auto card, and so decided to go that route. That card had been the stumbling block for a while.

When my brother and I put this display together, we used transparent photo corners on all the cards so the cards are not permanently attached to the mat and thus are not damaged in any way. This makes it easy to swap out any card if a need arises. By the way, the image can be enlarged by clicking on it.

Nice to see you got a Weaver in the end. Of the doubles, the one with Newt is the best/the most thematically relevant for Aliens.

If I hadn't been obscenely lucky to land the single Weaver in a trade right at release I don't think I'd have one, it's a tough card. I managed all the singles from Anthology, but haven't got round to picking anything up from Upper Deck Alien & Aliens. Interested to see what will be in their upcoming Alien3 set.

I'm a HUGE fan of the series so have tried to get all the cast (of the first 4 films) in person, each on an 8x10s and on an inkworks Alien Legacy P2 promo card, and have managed quite a few.

Great display. PLEASE keep it away from any light, it would be a shame for such great cards to fade.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi X. Thank you. No worries, I always make it a point to hang my displays in areas which are not exposed to direct sunlight or harsh lighting. My brother and I are really only fans of the first two films. In fact, the mere mention of Alien 3 gets my brother all worked up in a bad way-LOL.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I was going to say the same thing about the first two films being the best by light years. I've seen every one at the theater, and they've never been come close to.

Until!!! PROMETHEUS, which I loved.
COVENANT wasn't too bad either.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Prometheus, Covenant and Terminator Salvation, Oh My!Big Grin

I detest Alien3 and watched it one time only. Supposedly it was Weaver who was determined to have that ending, but I was incensed from the beginning ten minutes.

Oddly enough I sort of liked Alien Resurrection just as a flawed movie that had a certain charm and a couple of really good action scenes. The effects failed in a few shots, the "baby" was dumb looking and Ryder stuck out like a sore thumb. A guilty pleasure, but nothing to grow on.

Aliens over Alien for me, but both classics.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
To this day (I have seen it several times) I have no idea what Alien 3 is doing. Resurrection was ok except it had to acknowledge part 3.

My love for Prometheus is that it cleared the slate. It opened the ALIEN story up to many possibilities. Unfortunately we got Covenant, the producers never even grasped the idea that the next film could have been anything, anywhere.

I'm happy to have all of the cast sigs from the first two films. Dance and Sutton from the third as well. Not really sure how popular the Alien 3 card release will be.

Posts: 4836 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Alien 3 was great and if Fincher had been allowed to make the film he wanted to make it might have been the best alien film of them all.

A case of what might have been.

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem my brother and I have with Alien 3 is that it rendered all the heroics of the second film meaningless. Ripley fights tooth and nail to save Newt (her surrogate daughter) only to have her killed off screen in Alien 3. Same fate for Hicks. He survives Aliens only to be killed off screen in A3. And how did Ripley get impregnated? There is no reference or evidence in Aliens that could explain this.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Not really sure how popular the Alien 3 card release will be.

There already has been cards for Alien3 so we know what they will be like. There was the 1992 Aliens3 Star Pics set and also cards on it were included in Inkworks 1998 Alien Legacy set. The photos are dark, grim and unattractive, when not downright ugly. It was the look of the film and there is no way to improve it for a better looking card.

Autograph wise they probably have some Weaver stickers left over, but the rest of the cast is rather slim pickings. You could put Henriksen in this one and probably Dance, as he is a signer. Dutton I'm not sure about, but his demand would not be great. The large group of convicts was made up of basically supporting actors of limited recognition, especially in a film where the costumes, makeup and lighting often made it hard to tell them apart. The best known by me was Pete Postlethwaite, who has passed on.

I don't think UD should have put it out on its own. Of all the films, Aliens3 is the most disliked by most fans of the series, probably because there was so much anticipation for it after the success of Aliens. It was a radical change. A better choice, if they wanted to use the license and excess inventory, would have been to do Aliens3 and Resurrection together and at least it would have opened it to more signers and other images besides people running around in black tunnels.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem my brother and I have with Alien 3 is that it rendered all the heroics of the second film meaningless. Ripley fights tooth and nail to save Newt (her surrogate daughter) only to have her killed off screen in Alien 3. Same fate for Hicks. He survives Aliens only to be killed off screen in A3. And how did Ripley get impregnated? There is no reference or evidence in Aliens that could explain this.

Yeah, going back to the film, just throwing away the other survivors of Aliens really bothered me. And Ripley took a couple of minutes of sorrow and then shrugged it off.

As for the other thing, I never understood it either. It was done off camera, I would assume while in stasis, but she does an awful lot of running around with it, while the other hosts of chest busters did not. Also she managed to draw a Queen, not just a regular drone. Talk about luck.

I have read the analysis of Aliens3 and the other themes and influences that Fincher and Weaver say is woven in there to provide all these hidden meanings that people find interesting. I get it, but it's not what I wanted to see in an Alien movie and certainly not at the expense of tearing down the narrative that came before it, which was pretty darn good.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Alien3 was the first film in the series that I saw so never had any attachment to Newt or Hicks as they were characters I was unfamiliar with. Newt and Hicks served their purpose in Aliens, and their deaths in Alien3 does not take anything away from the quality of Aliens.

I don't think any director has to be beholden to what came before and this series has always been episodic, with each film wildly different from the last.

Alien3 had a decent idea, some great direction, a fantastic score and an unconventionally nihilistic tone. I think it is a great but flawed film. Anyone remotely interested in the Alien series should watch the documentary 'Wreckage and Rage' which details all the production woes and studio interference against Fincher that prevented the film from being everything it could have been.

The main issue for me though is the usage of prison inmates to make up the majority of the cast. Some truly great actors amongst them but would most viewers care about murderers and sex offenders getting bumped off by the xenomorph? I don't think so. If you don't care about or engage with the majority of characters what's the point? A very odd creative decision IMO.

I still like the film a lot though, but last of the 4.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post