Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
alien anthology sigourney weaver auto card

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/6967031586

January 06, 2017, 07:57 AM
space phantom
alien anthology sigourney weaver auto card
Does anyone know how many of the single Sigourney Weaver autograph cards were made?
I'm putting together an Alien autograph display and her auto card is the only one I need.

Many thanks.
January 07, 2017, 01:24 PM
X
I remember some collectors were trying to extrapolate roughly how many autos were made from the quantity of product that appeared at release. I can't remember what those numbers were (maybe someone else does?) but unless the manufacturer releases the print run there is no way to really know. And even if we knew the case run, it still wouldn't tell us how many of any particular card were made.

Plus, when UD later released the e-pack version of the product it only confused matters as to exactly how much was made. Clearly a lot more than originally thought.

If it helps, from what I have noticed, Sigourney's autograph seemed more common on double autos than as a single.

Good look in your search, it's a cool card. As a big Alien fan I would be interested to see your display.
January 07, 2017, 03:40 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by X:
If it helps, from what I have noticed, Sigourney's autograph seemed more common on double autos than as a single.

An interesting observation, which brings up two points.

Since these are in fact all sticker autographs, doesn't it make the notion of finding dual or even triple signed autograph cards less special? There is no work involved beyond producing the card and the stickers can be used in any combination, in any number that the manufacturer sees fit.

Which brings up the second question of, are we always to regard any multi-signed card, sticker or on-card, as being of a higher value than the same signers on single cards?

I don't think so. Some collectors believe that a second signature of lesser value will subtract value from the first one, rather than add value. There is precedent for that in sports autographs. For instance a single signed baseball of a star player on the sweet spot is typically worth more than a baseball autographed by that same player along with other team mates. It all depends on who is added of course, but even when it is two or more comparable stars, the item is not priced at double or triple the value of either's single signed item.

So what I am thinking in cases like this Weaver Alien autograph card is that it is more desirable to have the single signed card, than one of her multi cards. If it does turn out that the single autograph card was produced in smaller numbers than the stickers used to create the multi cards, then you would have to say that card should carry a higher value just based on the more limited supply. Right?
January 07, 2017, 05:03 PM
space phantom
Thank you all for your input. If I'm lucky to pick one up at a decent price and complete the cast, I will definitely post the display when ready.
January 08, 2017, 08:57 AM
X
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

An interesting observation, which brings up two points.

Since these are in fact all sticker autographs, doesn't it make the notion of finding dual or even triple signed autograph cards less special? There is no work involved beyond producing the card and the stickers can be used in any combination, in any number that the manufacturer sees fit.

Which brings up the second question of, are we always to regard any multi-signed card, sticker or on-card, as being of a higher value than the same signers on single cards?

I don't think so. Some collectors believe that a second signature of lesser value will subtract value from the first one, rather than add value. There is precedent for that in sports autographs. For instance a single signed baseball of a star player on the sweet spot is typically worth more than a baseball autographed by that same player along with other team mates. It all depends on who is added of course, but even when it is two or more comparable stars, the item is not priced at double or triple the value of either's single signed item.

So what I am thinking in cases like this Weaver Alien autograph card is that it is more desirable to have the single signed card, than one of her multi cards. If it does turn out that the single autograph card was produced in smaller numbers than the stickers used to create the multi cards, then you would have to say that card should carry a higher value just based on the more limited supply. Right?

I don't know about anyone else but I wanted every one of the single autographs from Alien Anthology but had absolutely no interest in any of the doubles, let alone the quad. I thought it was lazy to use the same pictures as on the singles too.

Like you say, stickers can be used to make any muddled multi-signature combination in any number so I don't see them as all that special.
I think some combinations can be neat like Sigourney & Carrie Henn but I think such a combo moves towards your baseball analogy. Thematically a great card. In actuality a huge movie star paired with a retired child actress/school teacher so for some collectors I imagine that ruins it a bit. I'll take the single versions and have two great cards, plus if you owned the single versions why would you really need the double (especially when the same pictures are used)?

Besides that double and the Dominique Pinion & Gary Dourdan double, I think all of the other pairings were very random. Other really good ones would have been Yaphet Kotto & Harry Dean Stanton, Sigourney Weaver & Michael Biehn, and Mark Rolston & Jenette Goldstein but Upper Deck didn't get all those signers anyway.
January 11, 2017, 10:45 AM
mykdude
I also put together all of the single autographs and felt the same way about the double sigs. I do like the Henn/Weaver and Henricksen/Paxton as a decent matchup.

Still, with UDs great Alien Anthology marketing scam, if I can pick some up for under 60 bucks I will do it. Cool

January 12, 2017, 02:37 PM
Raj
I'm waiting for a Weaver/Henn dual auto. It was cheaper (much) than Weaver's single auto.

For me,'like' only comes into it when the prices are roughly the same. Otherwise, I'll go for what's cheapest.
January 13, 2017, 02:26 PM
space phantom
Since we're also discussing dual auto cards, I was just reading the checklist for this set and noticed that there is a listing of a Weaver/Skerritt dual auto card (DA-WS). Has anyone come across this configuration?

Thank you all.
January 14, 2017, 08:32 AM
X
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
I'm waiting for a Weaver/Henn dual auto. It was cheaper (much) than Weaver's single auto.

For me,'like' only comes into it when the prices are roughly the same. Otherwise, I'll go for what's cheapest.

Of all the dual cards, that is the one to have. A fantastic card for that film.
Coincidentally there are two on eBay right now and on both the top-half of Sigourney's signature is missing off the sticker. Such a shame.

quote:
Originally posted by space phantom:
Since we're also discussing dual auto cards, I was just reading the checklist for this set and noticed that there is a listing of a Weaver/Skerritt dual auto card (DA-WS). Has anyone come across this configuration?

Thank you all.

Would it have killed Upper Deck to use an ALIEN picture for Sigourney rather than ALIENS? Roll Eyes

Still waiting to see if the Charles Dance/Charles Dutton dual auto actually exists.
January 14, 2017, 06:49 PM
space phantom
X, many thanks for the pic. After all these years, I'm thankful to be able to have official signatures from these films. I agree with you that UD could have done a better job in selecting pics,combinations,and getting a few more actors from these films like Michael Biehn, Jennette Goldstein, John Hurt etc, but at least someone in that company had some flashes of insight in selecting the Alien franchise to do cards. A very small miracle indeed.
January 15, 2017, 03:19 PM
mykdude
Thankfully John Hurt signed for other releases. It is now possible to own authenticated autographs of the entire cast of the first and most of not all of the second films.

I agree with X that it would have been cool to have Weaver's autograph on a pic of the original film but the second really was her most dominant role.

January 15, 2017, 04:39 PM
Raven
I think that we can all agree that these cards could have been done a lot better just from a production standpoint.

That is not to say that we shouldn't be grateful that some company did it at all, because we should. It's just that I don't think a real expert who loved the franchise was really used as a consultant when pictures and formats were chosen.

These cards covered all 4 movies. Obviously the number of signers they could contract were probably not within their control, but once UD had Weaver, they should have created cards that had her image from each movie.

The character of Ripley changed drastically in physical appearance in each one, to the point where we can see only her face in close up and know which film it was in. Imagine if they took those stickers and divided them up across 4 separate single cards and even more dual cards. If you wanted to make ultra limited autograph cards that some people would feel compelled to chase, that would be one place to try it. Wink
January 17, 2017, 08:19 AM
mykdude
quote:
The character of Ripley changed drastically in physical appearance in each one, to the point where we can see only her face in close up and know which film it was in. Imagine if they took those stickers and divided them up across 4 separate single cards and even more dual cards. If you wanted to make ultra limited autograph cards that some people would feel compelled to chase, that would be one place to try it. Wink

You are the most evil person I know! And yes, it is a fantastic idea! Razz

Wouldn't it be great if card companies assigned collector consulting groups to brainstorm set releases?

November 13, 2019, 09:30 PM
space phantom
I was finally able to put together my Alien/Aliens autograph display and thought I would share. Here it is....

November 13, 2019, 10:30 PM
cardaddict
That's impressive! Thanks for sharing.
November 13, 2019, 10:59 PM
catskilleagle
Yeah, that's a nice, thoughtful display.
November 14, 2019, 12:07 AM
Raven
First of all that's a very nice display and congratulations on collecting all of those Alien/Aliens autograph cards. However unless I can't see it in the picture I'm looking at, you are missing one card that you should include.

Jenette Goldstein played the pivotal role of Private Vasquez in Aliens and, for some reason that I don't know, she has never signed in an Aliens product. She has participated in Aliens reunions, so I don't think she has disowned the part. Maybe she doesn't like the offers. But she does have one certified autograph card, the only one I know about, in RA's Star Trek Complete Movies. It's A19, it's a common card and currently available on eBay for under $20.

Needless to say Goldstein, pictured as the Enterprise Science Officer in Star Trek Generations, doesn't look a bit like she did as Vasquez. It is a card that I have always considered a hidden gem despite it's apparent lack of demand. I would grab it, but I already have it. Enjoy. Smile
November 14, 2019, 12:37 AM
mykdude
quote:

Jenette Goldstein played the pivotal role of Private Vasquez in Aliens and, for some reason that I don't know, she has never signed in an Aliens product. She has participated in Aliens reunions, so I don't think she has disowned the part. Maybe she doesn't like the offers. But she does have one certified autograph card, the only one I know about, in RA's Star Trek Complete Movies. It's A19, it's a common card and currently available on eBay for under $20.

Needless to say Goldstein, pictured as the Enterprise Science Officer in Star Trek Generations, doesn't look a bit like she did as Vasquez. It is a card that I have always considered a hidden gem despite it's apparent lack of demand. I would grab it, but I already have it. Enjoy. Smile

Yeah, plus to date it is her only signed card. Was a little bit surprised about the absence of the Michael Biehn autograph from the UD sets as well. Especially as he is a con fav and seems to have no problems signing Aliens items.

This one from the Pop Century release has become difficult to find as of late.

Very cool display S Phantom.....looks great!!

November 14, 2019, 12:49 AM
Raven
I have Biehn on an earlier Spectrum of Stars card. I don't know how tough that one is because I really haven't checked it in a long time. Biehn has always come off as more of a personality and I think the problem may have been that UD just didn't give him the deal he thought he deserved. A dual auto card with him and Weaver would have been awesome.
November 14, 2019, 02:24 AM
mykdude
Currently there are no card product Michael Biehn sigs on Ebay.

At the cons I have seen him at he isn't one of those that charges way outside of the norm. Really laid back and willing to talk with people.