Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Dexter Season 5-6
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dexter Season 5-6
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
When is this set out again?

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
waitng for autographs still but i am thinking about 6 weeks

Tom

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for the update Thumb Up

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
thanks we also just got all the costumes and props for season 7 & 8 so we hope to wrap up the series shortly

tom

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Breygent Marketing:
waitng for autographs still but i am thinking about 6 weeks

Tom

Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks we also just got all the costumes and props for season 7 & 8 so we hope to wrap up the series shortly

tom

Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Coming Febuary

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the new Dexter cards.

Just pointing out that those Harrington autographs shown above are a good example of a signature that is impossible to authenticate. Each one is very different from the other, even though it looks like he is using only two or three letters. Maybe he just scribbles whatever way he feels like, but sloppy, inconsistent autographs are a forger's dream. A faked signature would probably look like an improvement here. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harrington's auto has always been like that, it's just "DH", they look legit to me. I won't complain, his auto is no where near as bad as Peter Dinklage's whose autograph is just a hump or Amber Benson (go check out the Supernatural thread), her autograph is literally an "a." Anna Torv was the same, but she's added a "T" and a random squiggle in her most recent releases.

Still holding onto hope that Weller is signing...

Posts: 49 | Location: Michigan | Registered: June 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
All of those scanned Harrington autographs are authentic, they are on the Breygent cards. What I was trying to illustrate is that this particular signer is so very inconsistent, even in his very short autograph. So if you see his autograph on any items that are not guaranteed by a card manufacturer or documented at an in-person appearance, you are going to have a hard time telling real from fake. So when I said impossible to authenticate I was referring to any uncertified autographs that may be available.

Dinklage and Benson actually have pretty consistent signatures. You may not like them, but you can still get a good sample of the real ones. With celebrities that sign like Harrington, you can't get a good sample because it keeps changing and any variation might still be his real autograph or it might be a fake. You can't trust anything without third party certification because your eyes can't tell by comparison. Just look at those three scans. They are all real, but do any of them look the same?

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have to say that if I had paid someone to autograph cards and got back things like that I would have to think seriously if I wanted it in my product but I would definatly never ask that person to autograph cards again. If he , or anyone else, can't be bothered to sign his name properly then I would not waste another moment or another dollar on dealing with them.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Dexter prop cards

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
can't be bothered to sign his name properly

I think his signature looks fine personally. Someone's signature is their own unique stamp; how can we impose standards on length? If people prefer initials, and stylised, then fine with me. If everyone signed their full name in well practiced cursive handwriting, in my opinion autographs would start to look very generic, very fast. I'm all for variation. I certainly wouldn't pull it from a product or refuse to pay them. For me it does not matter that his name isn't visible in his autograph - it's not as if his name isn't printed directly beneath it, next to a photo of himself. I guess the appeal to me has always been that an actor or someone I admire who I'm never going to meet has personally held the card; sort of a long distance '.... was here' kind of statement, rather than how nice their handwriting is, that's an added bonus and nice curiousity that doesn't change my opinion of them or their work.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwn410:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
can't be bothered to sign his name properly

I think his signature looks fine personally. Someone's signature is their own unique stamp; how can we impose standards on length? If people prefer initials, and stylised, then fine with me. If everyone signed their full name in well practiced cursive handwriting, in my opinion autographs would start to look very generic, very fast. I'm all for variation. I certainly wouldn't pull it from a product or refuse to pay them. For me it does not matter that his name isn't visible in his autograph - it's not as if his name isn't printed directly beneath it, next to a photo of himself. I guess the appeal to me has always been that an actor or someone I admire who I'm never going to meet has personally held the card; sort of a long distance '.... was here' kind of statement, rather than how nice their handwriting is, that's an added bonus and nice curiousity that doesn't change my opinion of them or their work.

Not to belabor the point, but it is not about a short signature or a badly written signature. It is not even about variation, because these are not variant signatures. This is an example of a man who has no signature because he scribbles it down anyway he feels like it at any time. You can't tell a genuine autograph from a fake without it being on a certified product because there is no standard comparison.

I don't believe a card manufacturer can force someone to sign better, but wolfie is right in that it's a shame to pay someone who doesn't have enough respect to write a true autograph. If it's a bad signature, that's fine, as long as it's the same bad signature. Those three scans are of three different bad signatures, all authentic, and that is the problem here.

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Not to belabor the point, but it is not about a short signature or a badly written signature. It is not even about variation, because these are not variant signatures. This is an example of a man who has no signature because he scribbles it down anyway he feels like it at any time. You can't tell a genuine autograph from a fake without it being on a certified product because there is no standard comparison.

I see Raven, though I understood your original point. Mine wasn't talking about consistency or ease of counterfeiting at all, true, but that was deliberate - the talk about initials and stylising was brought into the mix by Dexterfan18.

quote:
I don't believe a card manufacturer can force someone to sign better, but wolfie is right in that it's a shame to pay someone who doesn't have enough respect to write a true autograph.

This was the point I was originally making, though more aimed at Wolfie's wording; you refer to a 'true' autograph as he did with 'properly'. Again I have to say; what are the standards for an autograph and who are we to define them? It's difficult in my eyes to say someone isn't showing enough respect to a company when that definition doesn't explicitly exist. I understand if people view it as common courtesy to sign in a particular manner, but I don't think that's a communal outlook that can be expected for everyone to share. I do think it's a bit of a stretch to hold the view regarding pay or repeated signing, which is what I intended my response for. I did interpret Wolfie's post as more general than just referring to consistency, but I accept that is possibly a mistake.

quote:
If it's a bad signature, that's fine, as long as it's the same bad signature. Those three scans are of three different bad signatures, all authentic, and that is the problem here.

Now I am addressing your original point, and I do kinda disagree with it unfortunately! I don't think it's a problem at all, I think the three just represent a timeline of his signing; it's safe to assume he did each colour in turn but I think it is also within the range of acceptability that people can start slipping towards the end, and the black one is a bit looser as a result, yes. They do all have an obvious similarity though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

tom

Tom,

Do you have any autographs for seasons 7 & 8? I know you had mentioned on another website that Yvonne Strahovski had agreed to sign and just wondered if you had gotten these or any others back. I can't wait for the last 2 releases of one of my all-time favorite shows.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking forward to the new Dexter cards.

Just pointing out that those Harrington autographs shown above are a good example of a signature that is impossible to authenticate. Each one is very different from the other, even though it looks like he is using only two or three letters. Maybe he just scribbles whatever way he feels like, but sloppy, inconsistent autographs are a forger's dream. A faked signature would probably look like an improvement here. Wink

I blame his parents for giving him such a long name.

It could be worse, though. Imagine what they'd look like if the "character" of Joey Quinn had signed them! They'd be all bent up, booze spilled on them, and one or more of them could possibly be pierced with a bullet hole.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwn410:
quote:
If it's a bad signature, that's fine, as long as it's the same bad signature. Those three scans are of three different bad signatures, all authentic, and that is the problem here.

Now I am addressing your original point, and I do kinda disagree with it unfortunately! I don't think it's a problem at all, I think the three just represent a timeline of his signing; it's safe to assume he did each colour in turn but I think it is also within the range of acceptability that people can start slipping towards the end, and the black one is a bit looser as a result, yes. They do all have an obvious similarity though.

It's OK to disagree, it's all a matter of what you see.

You see a deteriorating signature because he is signing too long, but it is from the same hand. I see a careless autograph that does not have enough similarities to tell whether or not it was done by the same hand.

My idea of a true autograph is really just being consistent in the way a signature is written, however long or short it may be.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I get both sides of the argument.
Maybe it's not necessarily that he's careless but just that he can't write it the same each time, as he doesn't want to use his real sig, so writing something different feels weird and hard to replicate consistently.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dexter prop cards

I LIKE these Smile