Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Captain America (Upper Deck) Set in June
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain America (Upper Deck) Set in June
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
hopefully some will appear later tonight, but I haven't heard anyone receiving theirs yet

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Some of the Captain America Movie Patch Cards are on the auction web site.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
those are pretty cool looking. Still wish we knew a dang autograph checklist. You have some really big stars in the film, but two of the biggest ones HAVE signed before. Hugo Weaving signed for Lord of the Rings and Tommy Lee Jones for Men in Black 2. Maybe Upper Deck finally got more than one decent signer?

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Those will be the signers from what I heard:

Stanley Tucci
Toby Jones
Neal McDonough
Kenneth Choi

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
As for the costumes, here is what I know:

Captain America
Bucky Barnes
Peggy Carter
Dr. Erskine
Howard Stark
Red Skull
Dr. Zola
Heinz Kruger
Dum Dum Dugan
Gabe Jones
Dernier
Steve Rogers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:

Stanley Tucci
Toby Jones
Neal McDonough
Kenneth Choi

I really hope you are kidding. What an absolute waste of money on my case if that is the list of signers.

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really hope you are kidding.

No Frown

Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
Wow, while Stanley Tucci is a huge must have for me, that is one pathetic auto lineup. I would have thought Chris Evans and Joe Johnston would have been cards that just had to be in the set for it to even be worth it. And here I was hoping for a Tommy Lee Jones auto and they didn't even get the main star haha.

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:

Stanley Tucci
Toby Jones
Neal McDonough
Kenneth Choi

Cast includes top actors like:
Chris Evans (Captain America & Steve Rogers)
Tommy Lee Jones (General Chester Phillips)
Hugo Weaving (The Red Skull)
Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury)
Hayley Atwell (Peggy Carter)
And more!

and none of those top actors seem to signFrown
what a bad publicity

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This set may just finish off Upper Deck in the nonsport market.shocking. Red Face

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
IF the entire autograph list consists of those four actors, and I do love Stanley Tucci's work, this product is well below current standards. Even just in comparison to Thor, which at least had both lead stars signing but none of the big names, this is bad. Eek

Posts: 10385 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know I may be in the minority here. But, I hate the fact that Upper Deck gets these licenses. I wish Rittenhouse or someone would have gotten it. With Upper Deck we get a few autographs that are all ultra-rare. Frown

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts:
I know I may be in the minority here. But, I hate the fact that Upper Deck gets these licenses. I wish Rittenhouse or someone would have gotten it. With Upper Deck we get a few autographs that are all ultra-rare. Frown

you are certainly not in the minority
I'm sure Ritenhouse would have done much better and their auto design would have been consitent with other superheroes we got from them in the past such as Bruce Banner/Ed Norton and JDR/Ironman auto. Adding Thor and Captain from them would have made a perfect 'Avengers' team of full bleed auto.
I also doesn't seem that the inserts advertised are the same found into boxes (2 sets vs 4 sets)

* 9 Talent of Captain America Cards
* 1 Captain America Movie Poster Card
* 13 Weapons of Choice Cards
* 12 Captain America Comic Classic Covers Cards
vs
* 13 Captain America Comic Classic Covers Cards
* 12 Poster set

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DavidDeb,

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
These are starting to show up on ebay, lots of patch cards, saw 1 sketch (that was not an AP) and only a couple of costume cards, no autos as of yet.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts:
I know I may be in the minority here. But, I hate the fact that Upper Deck gets these licenses.

As DavidDeb said, you are not in the minority by a long shot. People wanted a Natalie Portman auto from Thor. And what about the actor who portrayed Heimdal! He isn't represented in any decent way in the chases.

I am curious about the language of your comment, in particular the "gets these licenses" part. The issue with Thor and Capt. America is not that Upper Deck has these licenses. It's that Upper Deck is in serious financial trouble and has these licenses. I think it is possible both of these sets would have had tons of autos and relic cards if Upper Deck has the finances to acquire them.

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicnac:
The issue with Thor and Capt. America is not that Upper Deck has these licenses. It's that Upper Deck is in serious financial trouble and has these licenses. I think it is possible both of these sets would have had tons of autos and relic cards if Upper Deck has the finances to acquire them.

Its like buying a house when you put all of you money into the downpayment and then don't have enough left to pay the electric bill. Big Grin

A license for a movie gets you the right to produce cards with copyrighted images and titles. I believe it also may get you access to some screen used materials that can be made into costume and prop cards. But negotiating for autographs is done with the actors and if its not in the contract they want fees.

I don't know if this is a money issue for UD or if it just feels that this is a good model for these types of sets, but it makes no sense to get an expensive license and then skimp on the product.

Posts: 10385 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am sad to say this but Upper Deck are naff at doing Movie card sets......
Look at the Fantastic 4 Movie card set, all they could do was Costume cards.....
They did thor and I did not bother with it, fair to say they got Thor and Loki's auto and there were sketches and Costume cards.....
They should have given this to Rittenhouse Archieves or another company to do.....
With RA you know you would have got a deccent set Smile
Topps would probably have got Samuel L Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones to sign and tonnes of sketches by Sketch card Artists not to mention 3000 Howard Shuum sketches & 3000 Ryan Waterhouse sketches......
This set could be the death of UD Frown Frown Frown

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
UD is pathetic

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I thought "THOR" was a well done product, unfortunately the insertion ratio between the Autographs, Sketches, and Memorabilia cards was out of whack. Had UD been able to give us either an Autograph or Sketch in a box instead of several boxes per case, which contained 3 Memorabilia cards they would have scored quite high in my eyes.

It also doesn't help when I take the time to write a nice letter to them explaining my views of their product they don't bother to acknowledge receipt of my email. A nice, "Thanks for your input", would go a long way to show that they care about what we the paying customers think.

I thought, "Marvel Beginnings" was a better product. The insertion ratio for the highend hits was better, but it could have been better. The holograms were very disappointing and that's being very understated.

I didn't bother with the Captain America set, as the market is flooded with to many superhero sets at this time. Based on what is being said about this set so far, I am glad I passed as this sounds a lot like the breaks for Thor and the autograph line-up was so much weaker than that for Thor.

Now I've voiced some negative comments here about UD and their products as have others. I've seen a number of people state that so and so company would have done such a better job had they had the license. Well exactly why does UD have this license? Aren't licenses bid on? Maybe this type of product isn't the cash cow some are making it out to be and nobody else was interested in bidding on it. As I said on the, "X-Men First Class" thread, it's real easy to be an armchair card manufacturer and say you'd do this and that without having all the facts in front of you.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
Now I've voiced some negative comments here about UD and their products as have others. I've seen a number of people state that so and so company would have done such a better job had they had the license.

I think UD has a license that covers all Marvel movies, so I don't think the license for this movie in particular was ever bid on. It's also why the latest Iron Man release went to UD, as well as Thor.

As an autograph collector both the Thor and Cap Releases are far from ideal for me . . .

Posts: 5410 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post