Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Captain America (Upper Deck) Set in June
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain America (Upper Deck) Set in June
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
Now I've voiced some negative comments here about UD and their products as have others. I've seen a number of people state that so and so company would have done such a better job had they had the license.

I think UD has a license that covers all Marvel movies, so I don't think the license for this movie in particular was ever bid on. It's also why the latest Iron Man release went to UD, as well as Thor.

As an autograph collector both the Thor and Cap Releases are far from ideal for me . . .

That is correct, UD have all the rights to Marvel (owned by Disney) films and gaming cards, it's one of the only licenses they retained after a catastrophic 2010 which saw them stripped of many of there product rights for a variety of reasons including counterfeiting and creating unlicensed Baseball cards.

They have the money to invest in products, and the infrastructure to do it, but realistically from there point of view why bother? This set for them will sell, and they can tie it now to there sports card releases, forcing dealers to buy set amounts any product in order to qualify for purchase of other more profitable products. (This was a common practice a few years ago)

I mean really who would expect Upper Deck to behave in such a short sighted fashion.... how very unlike them...

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side.its gonna be real easy to put an autograph master set together. Wink

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look on the bright side.its gonna be real easy to put an autograph master set together. Wink

Agree

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Now I've voiced some negative comments here about UD and their products as have others. I've seen a number of people state that so and so company would have done such a better job had they had the license.

I think UD has a license that covers all Marvel movies, so I don't think the license for this movie in particular was ever bid on. It's also why the latest Iron Man release went to UD, as well as Thor.

As an autograph collector both the Thor and Cap Releases are far from ideal for me . . .

So then the question that needs to be asked is, "How long do they have the rights to these properties?"

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They have the money to invest in products, and the infrastructure to do it, but realistically from there point of view why bother? This set for them will sell, and they can tie it now to there sports card releases, forcing dealers to buy set amounts any product in order to qualify for purchase of other more profitable products. (This was a common practice a few years ago)

I mean really who would expect Upper Deck to behave in such a short sighted fashion.... how very unlike them...[/QUOTE]

You're right Sci-FiPlanet, that was the old UD business model, but the key to bundling a package is that you must have at least two absolute red-hot products in huge demand. Than you can play games with other titles that distributors don't want, but have to take in order to get their allotment of the good stuff.

So what is UD's red hot, must have products now? Anybody know one or two?

UD wants history to repeat itself, but the strategy only works if you have that prize to dangle and I don't know that they do with the licenses they are holding. The Marvel films could be those prizes, but since UD isn't putting what collectors are looking for into it, I don't see these cards flying off the shelves unless the boxes are cheap enough for kids to buy. And if that happens it will not generate enough profits to anchor any forced packages on distributors, like in the good old days. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
So then the question that needs to be asked is, "How long do they have the rights to these properties?"

It is a "Multi Year" agreement , which kicked in in 2009, with the first products released in 2010. I expect that it will last for a good while, however the man who knows is Scott Gaeta of Cryptozoic, he WAS Upper Deck’s director of New Business Development when the deal was done. I doubt he will wish to share this information however, as clearly it is not a matter of public record and may well be covered by an NDA.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sci-FiPlanet:
quote:

It is a "Multi Year" agreement , which kicked in in 2009, with the first products released in 2010. I expect that it will last for a good while, however the man who knows is Scott Gaeta of Cryptozoic, he WAS Upper Deck’s director of New Business Development when the deal was done. I doubt he will wish to share this information however, as clearly it is not a matter of public record and may well be covered by an NDA.

Can you guys just see The Avengers set with all those stars in the movie but 4 minor autographs in the trading card set? Unless UD is saving funds to do a really nice set for that movie...

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The crappy thing is that with Thor, Upper Deck got Lokis knives and Thors hammer, and then didn't use them in the release. What kind of **** is that? If you have props from the film why wouldn't you use them?

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
The crappy thing is that with Thor, Upper Deck got Lokis knives and Thors hammer, and then didn't use them in the release. What kind of **** is that? If you have props from the film why wouldn't you use them?

I read that Marvel didn't like the ideas to have the 2 props been not cut from UD redemption programm since UP didn't want to cut them on the first place. So the licensor have some control over the product.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Bought a pack at Target last night. Web address on back of envelope to enter for a chance to win doesn't work.

Autographs 1:2500 packs
Insignia Patch Cards 1:96 packs

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EriktheArchitect:
Bought a pack at Target last night. Web address on back of envelope to enter for a chance to win doesn't work.

Autographs 1:2500 packs
Insignia Patch Cards 1:96 packs

Those are the retail odds and I don't believe that insignia patches are cut from costumes, they are just manufactured chase cards.

Hobby boxes are about one autograph card per case. As with Thor, the only premium hits you can count on are costume cards in hobby boxes.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I saw a box of these at my local Target today and half the box was gone already. Standard price of $1.99 too. I passed on getting them, because I think they might have been "cherry picked" already. Wink

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is there a check list for this release?

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here it is: Checklist

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archifou:
quote:

Here it is: Checklist

Wow, that's a lot of sketch card artists...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope that they post sketch card numbers as well like they did for Marvel Beginnings and Thor

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look on the bright side.its gonna be real easy to put an autograph master set together.

Not for the costumes. Some will be a bit more expensive Frown

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the M-10 (Gabe Jones) costume card pop up anywhere yet?

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone seen the M-10 (Gabe Jones) costume card pop up anywhere yet?

Yep on eBay and it sold for a price pretty cheap.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is a question based on comments made by a few members in the Captain America box breakdown thread. I didn't feel that it was appropriate to ask in the show and tell area, but I am curious about the source of the information.

Basically it has been mentioned that the Captain America boxes are not being busted, which by extension would mean that the cards are selling poorly. I could certainly understand based on the content why that might be true, but I don't know that its true because I don't know where a collector would go to find out actual sale numbers. The manufacturers certainly never report anything other than sell outs.

So how can a collector really know if a product is not selling just at the market level, which is the dealer's problem, or its not selling at the distribution level, which is the manufacturer's problem?