Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2017 Upper Deck Alien
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Upper Deck Alien
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted
Upper Deck is returning to the original Alien film for a new set.

Looks like a switch back to photos and base set is printed on old-school card stock.

http://www.beckett.com/news/20...alien-trading-cards/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

I have fond memories of opening packs of the old set many years after it was released and forcing myself to chew the decade-old gum. Big Grin

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Very interested to see what is in this set. The original is the best of the series by far.

You'd figure based on the Anthology set from last year we will see more stickers from Weaver, Skerritt, Cartwright, Stanton and Holm.
I don't expect they managed to get John Hurt before he passed, but Kotto would be a nice surprise, or Roy Scammell.
Otherwise I would be curious to see what else they have planned for the auto lineup.

http://www.beckett.com/news/20...alien-trading-cards/

The 'Android Parts', 'Mineral Ore' and 'Alien Egg' inserts sound neat. Always glad to see manufacturers get inventive with their chase cards.

I reckon the Semiotic Patch cards will be good - from what I've read, a lot of thought went into designing the logos used around the Nostromo film set.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
"Upper Deck is promising an old school approach"

So images are going to be faded, off center and have gum chalk all over them?

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

The 'Android Parts', 'Mineral Ore' and 'Alien Egg' inserts sound neat. Always glad to see manufacturers get inventive with their chase cards.

I reckon the Semiotic Patch cards will be good - from what I've read, a lot of thought went into designing the logos used around the Nostromo film set.

As you know I am a huge fan of Alien and Aliens, the rest not so much, but this set interests me enough to want to get the base set and maybe a few boxes for hits.

I'm not ordering and won't order until I start seeing the breaks and I'll gladly tell UD why. I also find the Android Parts, Shadowbox Alien Eggs and Mineral Ore cards inventive and maybe worth collecting, but they are not chase sets, they are the second premium hit in this product.

The primary premium hit, and the only hit type guaranteed to be in the box, is the Semiotic Patch card. This is a manufactured relic, a made up patch with symbols tied back to the movie. They may look great, but it is still a fake patch.

That second guaranteed hit will be an autograph or a sketch or Android or Mineral or Shadowbox card. This product is like nearly all recent UD products. it skips boxes on the hit types. Since only the patch is guaranteed, it is more likely that the combination will be a patch and one of the other manufactured cards, rather than pulling an autograph or sketch with the patch.

I would have no problem accepting one of these manufactured cards as the second primary hit, but not both primary hits. If these are chase cards, they should be extra cards, not replacing an autograph or sketch. Since they are the second big hit, I don't regard them as chase sets and I don't want to get a box that has nothing but the manufactured hits. I really wish UD would get out of this skip box construction formula, but I guess it must be working for them.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I really wish UD would get out of this skip box construction formula, but I guess it must be working for them.

So if everything were exactly even (which it rarely is) the collector is looking at a 1 in 4 box shot at an autograph. It looks like the autograph will be as difficult if not more than the sketch card in the anthology release. Even if you pay high dollar for a premium signature, you will almost always come out better getting the sig on the secondary market and picking up the other inserts for cheap.

The other problem is that except for Kotto, every living original film cast member has already signed for an Alien product. Is this a push to clear out stickers not used in Anthology? Even worse, will the set be entirely based on the first film except for signatures? Will Weavers flood the market now?

No smart collector will pre-order this product given the anthology mess.

Oh! And something else that annoys the snot out of me. Why is it that UD product announcements show up on trade sites while their own website has absolutely nothing about it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mykdude:

So if everything were exactly even (which it rarely is) the collector is looking at a 1 in 4 box shot at an autograph. /QUOTE]

If all are even, which is as you say unlikely, its a 1 in 5 box shot - autograph or sketch or Android Part or Mineral Ore or Shadowbox Egg.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mykdude:

So if everything were exactly even (which it rarely is) the collector is looking at a 1 in 4 box shot at an autograph. /QUOTE]

If all are even, which is as you say unlikely, its a 1 in 5 box shot - autograph or sketch or Android Part or Mineral Ore or Shadowbox Egg.

Yeah, over £100 for a shadowbox card, while the Ebay money grabbers get the auto's, I'm not bitter Mad

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Otherwise I would be curious to see what else they have planned for the auto lineup.

Ridley Scott would be a fantastic add. I really wish more companies would include creators and behind-the-scenes signers.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any updated information on this set regarding autographs and release date?

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Release date is November 15. Upper Deck posted a few details and some card images on their facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Up..._id=1585643251495701

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed this somewhere, but the android/ore/egg cards are not screen-used props, correct?

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
Maybe I missed this somewhere, but the android/ore/egg cards are not screen-used props, correct?

That's correct.

This is taken from the earlier Beckett article on the set:

"Android Parts is another set using manufactured items. These imagine what one might find inside of the film’s android, Ash. Mineral Ore cards have samples of items that may have been found on the Nostromo or other Weyland-Yutani ships. Shadow Box inserts make their Alien debut with Alien Egg cards. These can be opened with a nasty little surprise inside."

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Release date is November 15. Upper Deck posted a few details and some card images on their facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Up..._id=1585643251495701

Thanks for the link, great to see some images at last. Even the box design looks fantastic.

I really like the android/ore cards. The auto design with opening hatch looks horrendous though, I hope they have a 'standard' auto design as well.
A nice suprise to see that they managed to get Yaphet Kotto to sign. Fingers crossed for some autos from John Hurt before he passed...

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is there any point getting a hobby box if your currently strapped for cash ? pre order price for a box is £136.00 before postal charge and overseas customs to UK, your not guaranteed a auto card or even a full base set, easier to buy a base set and a Tom Skerritt auto Razz

seriously, are upper deck some kind of secret society, they get released amorrow and there's no checklist.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
...pre order price for a box is £136.00 before postal charge and overseas customs to UK, your not guaranteed a auto card or even a full base set, easier to buy a base set and a Tom Skerritt auto Razz

Dealers should get about 3/4ths of a basic set in a box, so there should be plenty of basics sets on the market at a small fraction of the box price.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just viewing a couple of the STASIS SIGNATURE cards from this set on Ebay. As far as I can tell from the pic, the word ALIEN does not appear on this type of auto card, which I found rather strange.

Posts: 82 | Location: massachusetts | Registered: March 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Checklist has been posted on Cardboard Connection:

https://www.cardboardconnectio...ck-alien-movie-cards

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by space phantom:
I was just viewing a couple of the STASIS SIGNATURE cards from this set on Ebay. As far as I can tell from the pic, the word ALIEN does not appear on this type of auto card, which I found rather strange.

The design looks to waste at least half of the card front. I don't get it. I don't even know what the bottom picture is supposed to be, but it looks like sandals in a sandbox. Big Grin These are sticker signatures, UD knows the card is being created around the sticker and this is the best they can come up with?

The only positives you have here in terms of the autographs is that Kotto finally signed in an Alien set and that the increased number of signatures for the repeats will help to satisfy demand and maybe soften prices down the line for all.

The inclusion of the new signers of writer/producer and concept artist were probably not on anybody's want list. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Raven, I believe the auto card background picture is of the hibernation pods. Regardless, I agree in that Upper Deck couldn't have found a more boring picture if they tried. Talk about mailing it in...

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post