Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Cryptozoic 2021 ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptozoic 2021 ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Is it just me, or does it appear from what Crypto has recently announced, that they are focusing more on board games, gaming, statues, figurines, and non-card related merchandise ?

The only recent cards that they have done were for Outlander Series 4, to my knowledge.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They have CZX Middle-Earth and CZX Crisis on Infinite Earths as TBA. Also mentioned are Outlander Playing Cards. Don't know the direction anyone is headed these days.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seems like in recent years that they've also tried to find some success with those Crypt-Kins monster figures with the cards (Jersey Devil, etc.)

There were a few dozen cards on those, mostly distributed at the San Diego Comic Con and other larger shows.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I get their newsletter and there are certainly a lot more little "figures", but it also looks like they are getting into Kickstarter projects, at least for card games. So maybe some of their new card titles will come out of custom funding.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Didn't they announce some time back that they were no longer going to produce trading cards? I understood they were moving to more gaming/statutes/figures. If you look at their website, the "trading card" section only shows a dozen or so titles, with most of them being marked as unavailable to purchase in their store.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A sign of the times ?

Card companies moving onto "other collectables" ?

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I don't know if its a sign of the times so much as it is a continuation of where things are heading.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
The CZX products were a nice idea but the price point was silly, no way they had to retail at $225-250, no one brought at that price point and boxes settled in at $125-150 which should have been retail to start. I would not be surprised if they issued no more trading card sets. They have been doing eBay exclusives but most are so limited it’s silly. I don’t know what they are thinking but I suspect all of their product lines are struggling not just trading cards.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It wasn't that long ago when we were commenting about Crypto having so many releases scheduled throughout the year that we didn't know how they would get caught up (or how we could afford them all). And now it's gone from one extreme to the other - with them having barely any licenses left. Frown

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
They also lost 2 members of the Trading Card department, so I expect things to be wishy-washy until they get new leadership.

They have 2 CZX titles they are promoting. Which is the same number of titles we have announced in 2021 for Topps, so I wouldn't read too much into it

The eBay promotions are part of a larger effort on eBay's part to be the destination for trading cards. Topps and Rittenhouse also had sponsored exclusives. Crypto has just done a few more.

As for the games and trinkets, Crypto has always been a multi-product company. I don't expect that to change. They have had reasonable luck with the Bombshells line in both specialty and retail stores.

But them continuing trading cards will require them to pick up some new licenses. If they are done with DC TV and Comics, they don't have a lot of current projects in their portfolio. Though I would love another shot at the DC movie universe, with a little better product. But DC CZX sold well, and I never had to discount a box to sell all I had.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I brought this up in a facebook group last week. I then contacted Cryptozoic. I was told the same thing that they were down two people in their cards division but not to worry they are still making cards.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good to hear they will be back with more cards once they have their house in order.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
On the back of the latest issue of NSU there is an advertisement for CZX Crisis on Infinite Earths. So there an upcoming DC television based product coming soon.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Crypto has alot of playing cards and gaming cards (not our regular Non Sports Cards) on the horizon, including the following:

Outlander playing cards

Wonder Woman 1984 card game

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I really hope that CZE gets their side of the non-sport card division re-staffed fast, because the companies that veered off and went this route before never seemed to return to the type of hobby cards that most of us here collect. Cryptozoic was making some nice products, purely from a card collector's standpoint.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I really hope that CZE gets their side of the non-sport card division re-staffed fast, because the companies that veered off and went this route before never seemed to return to the type of hobby cards that most of us here collect. Cryptozoic was making some nice products, purely from a card collector's standpoint.

Agreed. Would hate to see the Crisis and Middle Earth sets not be made.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I hope that Cryptozoic starts posting some details soon about the Middle Earth and Crisis sets. I am curious.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
After clicking around on Cryotozoic's website for about 5 minutes, I can't find one single reference to either Crisis or Middle Earth.

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
There was a reference to the Crisis set in Cryptozoic's Fans First e-newsletter earlier this week.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curler:
There was a reference to the Crisis set in Cryptozoic's Fans First e-newsletter earlier this week.

And a Promo in the latest NSU Big Grin

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post